Gibson Brands Forums

Got myself a honky tonk pianist.

EuroAussie

The band is growing into a three piece with addition of mate of mine who joined us on some gigs on the black n' white keys.

Have to say its great having another musician join us as so many old songs change flavour and style when another perspective is introduced.

Anyway, here is one we recorded ... go easy, its the first time we ever performed it as it was a request, but we luckily rehearsed it before. Im still totally getting a hang of the vocals on this one and the little details with timing and so on. Some mike feedback issues at beginning didnt help.

Lukas, on keys can pretty much learn a song in 5 mins and then just improvise on the spot like he did on the solo.

Anyway, its great to play with other musos and I look forward to working with him more ... btw. Jamie on cajon is behind me, but hidden.

Hope you enjoy a bit of Clapton.

cheers,

EA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ZFFYV0oUk&t=4s

Having someone sit in on keyboards is always a valuable asset- the sound quality is amazing anymore, and you’ve now got access to not just the upright piano sounds, but also lush strings, concertina/accordion, bass lines, or whatever you’d like.

What was that device helping you with the lyrics?

I've probably been playing that song for 45 years or more. Fred Sokolow has a good free online video teaching a fingerpicking version of the song, which is a song I've always associated with Bessie Smith.

The piano can be a big plus in a group, but it often works best when your set-up is actively mixed by a soundman. A good piano player can boost and cover for a lot of average guitar playing, not that I think your playing is average.

It's nice to alternate leads and solos between a piano and guitar in a small performance group setting. Good for larger bar gigs where the guitar can sometimes get lost.

Yep, the keys for sure add a totally additional dynamic. Some tracks we do with Lukas like Wayferring Stranger now has am almost jazzy feel rather than the rootsy feel when i play it solo.

I know its not original from Clapton, but myself and majority of people probably sssociate it with clapton and his unplugged album. I want to eventually learn it fingerpicking and also first part of the solo, but we literally learnt the basic version two dsys earlier.

Burst.. thats the Onsong app that i use on the ipad, i these days can remember about 70% of the lyrics, but still need it for the new stuff.

Indeed. I've been playing more guitar lately, but it used to be all keys.

Holy shiit, that is really cool. What a great combination of the instruments and a real cool summery vibe. You should play at Ibiza during the summer, they would love you there !

What a great combination of the instruments and a real cool summery vibe.

Thanks E.A. and Sal! I decidedly like UPBEAT stuff. There are too many slow, sad songs, which are OK, but... overabundant.

Archived