Gibson Brands Forums

Revealing the serial number

Russell Davis

What would you guys do in this case? I've got my Taylor listed on Reverb.com and a user sent me a request asking for the serial number. He probably just wants to verify the year it was made but I'm wondering if that info could also be used for nefarious purposes. Don't want to put myself at risk unnecessarily. Am I being too cautious?

In a word, yes. I always wondered why sellers would block out portions of numbers on their (mostly vintage) guitars. Give out the info.

Like Jedzep says, unless you have some compelling reason to believe the person requesting it is a dubious character.

It always looked a bit much to me, as well. As an option, you could always just display only the digits in the serial # to allow the prospective buyer to confirm the year. 'Wouldn't want anyone to know it was the first of a new run, made on a Friday, St. Patrick's Day. (even though the actual date is not always the same as the date on the serial no. stamp.)

I think you'd be safe emailing your serial.

Regarding why sellers would block out portions of their serials - I can think of a coupla reasons. Both are far fetched, but for the very cautious: The serial could appropriated for use on fakes; the serial and pics could be appropriated for a fake listing, and lastly, as well as least likely - some ne'er-do-well could file a police report on a stolen guitar using the serial, pics and description, possibly causing problems in the future.

As crazy as this seems, I've actually run across fake listings that appropriated pics and a serial from a legitimate listing. When the money is exchanged, a different (much cheaper) guitar is shipped - the scam seller never had the guitar advertised, just the pics and serial. Scams like this one have been discussed on this forum, particularly in the Lounge.

I think you'd be safe emailing your serial.

Regarding why sellers would block out portions of their serials - I can think of a coupla reasons. Both are far fetched, but for the very cautious: The serial could appropriated for use on fakes; the serial and pics could be appropriated for a fake listing, and lastly, as well as least likely - some ne'er-do-well could file a police report on a stolen guitar using the serial, pics and description, possibly causing problems in the future.

As crazy as this seems, I've actually run across fake listings that appropriated pics and a serial from a legitimate listing. When the money is exchanged, a different (much cheaper) guitar is shipped - the scam seller never had the guitar advertised, just the pics and serial. Scams like this one have been discussed on this forum, particularly in the Lounge.

....some ne'er-do-well could file a police report on a stolen guitar using the serial, pics and description, possibly causing problems in the future.....

That's what I had heard. He could claim the guitar was his and that if you didn't steal it, you received stolen property. This is pretty unlikely, since you could likely prove the guitar was in your possession well before he filed a stolen property report.

As mentioned, it's very unlikely anything could happen from providing the serial number, but also there's no harm done in putting "nn" for the last two digits. The dating, etc. info is always in the initial digits.

I've done both, given the serial number, and other times blurred it out in my ad. I can see it from both ends, and like someone else said, maybe just give them enough of the numbers so the year can be verified. Also, if the person is a serious buyer you'll meet them face to face so they can inspect the guitar in person, and can also validate the serial number in person on their smart phone.

My reason for usually not revealing the entire serial number in pictures in a listing is the same as someone else mentioned. Someone else could take the pics, claim them to be their own and use it as a claim that the guitar was stolen. Unlikely, but then again people do crappy things. I guess if you were the original owner with proof of purchase/registration of the guitar with the manufacturer then they couldn't do that, but it's just not worth the risk so sure, blur out the last couple numbers in your pics, just enough so they can verify the date. And to avoid any other scams, not getting paid, damage during shipping and having the claim denied, the other party claiming the guitar isn't as advertised, etc., I just do local pickup, even when I've posted guitars on Reverb. People have emailed me begging to ship stuff, and I politely say thanks, but no thanks. Not worth it, not hard up for cash, and just moving the ones along that I don't play anymore and willing to wait for the right buyer in person.

Archived