Gibson Brands Forums

J-15 Truss Rod Question

Niopia

Hi,

I have a question about the truss rod on my 2016 J-15.

I read somewhere that the threads on the end of the truss rod shouldn't extend past the nut. The threads on mine do and I'm pretty sure it was that way when it was new. The truss rod works just fine. I like the neck to have very little relief and I can even set the neck dead flat if I like. The nut turns smooth without any creaking.

My 2014 Melody Maker and 2014 Les Paul Studio don't have any threads showing.

Is this just a difference between the electrics and the acoustics?

Thanks

post-84342-017220600 1489269648_thumb.jpg

I read somewhere that the threads on the end of the truss rod shouldn't extend past the nut.

[confused] Never heard that before.......wonder where that rumor came from..... I can say that most if not all guitars I have owned show threads beyond the adjustment nut.

If you're the original owner, and it was like that when you bought it, the guitar is set up to you liking and nothing weird is going on with the neck I honestly wouldn't be concerned.

I recently had a guitar I hadn't played in a few months go completely out of whack, big time. Guitar always came out of the case in tune, perfect humidity, never abused and only 2/5 years old, and I bought it new. All of a sudden the action was sky high with no more saddle left to go lower. Long story short it ended up being a valid warranty claim through Martin and had a local guy authorized by Martin make it right.

In your case I'd just play the guitar. That's what the truss rod cover is there for. SO you don't have to look at what's underneath!

Thanks for the replies and the peace of mind!

The guitar plays great.

The only thing I tweaked, (besides the truss rod), was the nut. I lowered the slots a bit. (I tend to do that on all my guitars.)

Archived