Gibson Brands Forums

Dave's Guitar Shop No Longer a Gibson Acoustic Dealer?

MaplesOfWrath

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's the result of another dealer ditching Gibson for their unrealistic demands. I recently bought a Waterloo from Dave's and have to say they were great to deal with. It arrived as promised and they were wonderful with correspondence and answering my questions.

From another forum:

OK, here's the lowdown on why Dave's Guitar Shop is blowing these out so cheap. Gibson is making new unreasonable demands from their retailers. I don't exactly know what the specific demands are but their new policies will cause the stores to make much less money while investing in more Gibson guitars. As an act of defiance Dave will no longer be a Gibson dealer because of their new rules. They are hoping that other stores will follow their lead in dropping Gibson products in hopes of Gibson changing their polici

JC

From another forum:

OK, here's the lowdown on why Dave's Guitar Shop is blowing these out so cheap. Gibson is making new unreasonable demands from their retailers. I don't exactly know what the specific demands are but their new policies will cause the stores to make much less money while investing in more Gibson guitars. As an act of defiance Dave will no longer be a Gibson dealer because of their new rules. They are hoping that other stores will follow their lead in dropping Gibson products in hopes of Gibson changing their polici

JC

Yeah, it looks like Dave is dropping both the acoustic and electric line, and that it's due to increased sales quotas for online retailers, which for Gibson aren't that many, basically the GCs, MFs, Sweetwaters, and Dave's and Wildwood. I guess to an extent it was unfair to allow for Dave's to advertise their Gibsons online whereas most other independent stores, even Music Villa and Fuller's, could not. And last, these reduced prices aren't really "sales"; these were always the prices that Dave's quoted if you contacted them; they're just advertising them online now.

Yeah, it looks like Dave is dropping both the acoustic and electric line, and that it's due to increased sales quotas for online retailers, which for Gibson aren't that many, basically the GCs, MFs, Sweetwaters, and Dave's and Wildwood. I guess to an extent it was unfair to allow for Dave's to advertise their Gibsons online whereas most other independent stores, even Music Villa and Fuller's, could not. And last, these reduced prices aren't really "sales"; these were always the prices that Dave's quoted if you contacted them; they're just advertising them online now.

Only reason he's probably advertising the "sale" prices are because he no longer has a contract with them, so he can basically do whatever he wants with the remaining stock, meaning he can advertise them at whatever price he wants. Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto stopped carrying Gibson recently as well. Guitar Showcase has rumors floating around last year that they were going to drop Gibson as well because of the unrealistic quotas Gibson puts on these shops, but looks like they are still a dealer.

I guess Gibson hopes that with these large quotas they demand from dealers to remain a dealer the shop wont have much money left to put toward inventory from other brands. Guess for some dealers it's not an issue since they're known as major Gibson dealers (Wildwood, Music Villa, etc.), while others who don't have the online presence, reputation, or are just a much smaller operation are getting forced out of carrying the brand because they can't afford it. Or maybe has a bigger plan to eradicate only the select few that crank out big sales, and then leaving the rest to be bought directly from Gibson, kind of like what Fender is doing now.

... online retailers, which for Gibson aren't that many, basically the GCs, MFs, Sweetwaters, and Dave's and Wildwood. ...

Actually there are more; off the top of my head - Rainbow Guitars, The Music Zoo, Zzounds, AMS (American Music Supply), and Music 123. And that's not mentioning the all the "foreign" online dealers.

Sorry to see yet another dealer drop Gibson.

<edit> I went and checked Gibson's Online Dealer List (which BTW is not complete) - Dave's is still listed as an online dealer, along with a couple I missed - Chicago Music Exchange, Sam Ash, and Amazon.

I'm not here to comment on the business choices a corporation makes... only to note that it does appear that dealers of course are pressured to have a lot of inventory, and to do so each year.

What this means for us? Be in tune to when the dealers need to make room for new model years.

Chicago Music Exchange (a fine online dealer whom I have had great experiences with) seems to be very negotiable and in "move em out" mode currently. Look at some of their pricing on what they call "floor models". Like the 2016 J45 Vintage.

And I know from experience, don't be afraid to make offers.

Unfortunately, In the next few years, IMHO, Martin first, and then Gibson will rest in peace as far as guitars go. How much can the sponge hold and try to absorb more and more. The only hope will be with the consumers getting together for a major bonfire with donations!

Sadly enough these iconic guitar companies like Gibson and Martin, as nice as their instruments are, are now priced so far out of line with many,many of the other guitar builders that they find themselves vying for a public that has lost the desire to spend more than we are comfortably able to do to own one of their higher end products. When their Guitars are in the same price range now than what many of us paid for our first home it becomes more appealing to venture out into guitar land and see what is more 'within a reasonable price range' yet still gets the job done. That's not to say their guitars aren't worth every penny they ask for them...but more to say many of us don't have the coin to invest for them. Not all of us are collectors, but rather we just want to play music. jmho.

Sadly enough these iconic guitar companies like Gibson and Martin, as nice as their instruments are, are now priced so far out of line with many,many of the other guitar builders that they find themselves vying for a public that has lost the desire to spend more than we are comfortably able to do to own one of their higher end products. When their Guitars are in the same price range now than what many of us paid for our first home it becomes more appealing to venture out into guitar land and see what is more 'within a reasonable price range' yet still gets the job done. That's not to say their guitars aren't worth every penny they ask for them...but more to say many of us don't have the coin to invest for them. Not all of us are collectors, but rather we just want to play music. jmho.

How old are you that you paid $3,000 for your first home? I think you're being a bit dramatic. And there will always be a market for new Gibson and Martins. Custom builders cost way more, and cheap imported guitars although an be nice, don't compare. If there wasn't the demand, these companies wouldn't be around. I'm not a collector, yet I've been able to afford some nice guitars, both from Martin and Gibson. And if you have been alive long enough to say that a new HD-28 Standard is nearing the price of your first home, dare I say you're probably so old that you most likely can't play, let alone still be alive.

When their Guitars are in the same price range now than what many of us paid for our first home it becomes more appealing to venture out into guitar land and see what is more 'within a reasonable price range' yet still gets the job done.

I think if that is true many of us need to venture out into better neighborhoods.

rct

How old are you that you paid $3,000 for your first home? I think you're being a bit dramatic. And there will always be a market for new Gibson and Martins. Custom builders cost way more, and cheap imported guitars although an be nice, don't compare. If there wasn't the demand, these companies wouldn't be around. I'm not a collector, yet I've been able to afford some nice guitars, both from Martin and Gibson. And if you have been alive long enough to say that a new HD-28 Standard is nearing the price of your first home, dare I say you're probably so old that you most likely can't play, let alone still be alive.

Holy smoke man

😄

Too many goods chasing too few dollars. The greater than $2k guitar market is really shrinking, which is really the only market Gibson Acoustic is in minus a few models like the J-15, J-35 and a few of the new HP models.

It makes sense that Gibson will continue to "right size" their dealer network.

Now you've gone and hurt my feelings, you young whippersnapper...Lol. I wasn't thinking $3,000 dollar guitars, I was reaching a bit higher than that, but you made your point. I have to go have a nap now..See ya.

Careful there! My dad is younger than some of the more active members on this forum, all of whom manage to play quite well, and going by historical exchange rates his first house cost the sterling equivalent of $7000. Given the way in which we Brits end up paying the same number of pounds for US items as Americans pay in dollars, almost irrespective of exchange rates, his £3000 probably would've bought something closer to $4000-$5000 than to $7000 in American goods. So by today's prices, his first house cost about the same as a J45 Legend costs now. Of course there's been massive inflation since then, but in this country, house prices didn't really go crazy until 2000. So plenty of people around the age 40 were in a position to buy their first house for the cost of 5 or 6 generic high-end Gibsons and Martins: for the cost of Jannus Guy's collection, then. Wouldn't have to live in a crappy part of the country either. Of course in America you fell for the sub-prime schtick before we did here, which means that your house bubble started inflating on shaky foundations a bit before ours did. Perhaps it really was a long time ago for you lot: after all, you've just elected a renowned real estate magnate as your leader.

Careful there! My dad is younger than some of the more active members on this forum, all of whom manage to play quite well, and going by historical exchange rates his first house cost the sterling equivalent of $7000. Given the way in which we Brits end up paying the same number of pounds for US items as Americans pay in dollars, almost irrespective of exchange rates, his £3000 probably would've bought something closer to $4000-$5000 than to $7000 in American goods. So by today's prices, his first house cost about the same as a J45 Legend costs now. Of course there's been massive inflation since then, but in this country, house prices didn't really go crazy until 2000. So plenty of people around the age 40 were in a position to buy their first house for the cost of 5 or 6 generic high-end Gibsons and Martins: for the cost of Jannus Guy's collection, then. Wouldn't have to live in a crappy part of the country either. Of course in America you fell for the sub-prime schtick before we did here, which means that your house bubble started inflating on shaky foundations a bit before ours did. Perhaps it really was a long time ago for you lot: after all, you've just elected a renowned real estate magnate as your leader.

Roight. You blokes do math as badly as you cook.

rct

Bought my first house in 1982 for $34,500. That will buy a lot of Gibsons, even without taking inflation into account. ;)

Yes. 1 x J45 Vintage. 1 x SJ200 Vintage. 1 x Hummingbird Vintage. 1 x reissue 1958 ES 335. 1 x Custom Standard Historic 1959 RI LP. 1 x Historic SG Standard. 1 x ES175D 1959 RI. That's 7 generic high-end Gibsons. All of them special, but none of them a unique item. All available from Sweetwater.

I'm not sure if it was there before, but Gibson is not listed under his authorized retailer list.

When Jon at MFG stopped dealing with Gibson a couple years ago, he was selling off his stock at cost plus a little for shipping and handling and he had one I wanted.

I wasn't sure if the warrantee would be good because he was no longer an authorized dealer so I talked Sam Ash into a price match and got the guitar at 50% off list.

No we didn't😢

I'm not sure if it was there before, but Gibson is not listed under his authorized retailer list.

Correct, Dave. Gibson was not on the authorized dealer list, at least from the time that you had assisted in some 'Bird watching that I was doing at Dave's.

Archived