Gibson Brands Forums

Dave's Guitar Shop No Longer a Gibson Acoustic Dealer?

MaplesOfWrath

I'm not sure if it was there before, but Gibson is not listed under his authorized retailer list.

When Jon at MFG stopped dealing with Gibson a couple years ago, he was selling off his stock at cost plus a little for shipping and handling and he had one I wanted.

I wasn't sure if the warrantee would be good because he was no longer an authorized dealer so I talked Sam Ash into a price match and got the guitar at 50% off list.

I was able to go back to the thread from last week on this same rant and found I could re-use some of my comments.

Here's one I could cut and past that fit in here pretty well:

" The Mom&Pops would all want only one or two J45 Standards. Cork sniffers would get upset because the M&P didn't have an H'Bird Vintage. M&P would get desperate and sell the shop worn J45 at a big loss when the new models came out. . The 'never pay retail' crowd would get wind of those deep discounts and expect similar price cuts on all models, from 5 star dealers via the internet. "

Not a perfect fit - but good enough for government work.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to go back to the thread from last week on this same rant and found I could re-use some of my comments.

Here's one I could cut and past that fit in here pretty well:

" The Mom&Pops would all want only one or two J45 Standards. Cork sniffers would get upset because the M&P didn't have an H'Bird Vintage. M&P would get desperate and sell the shop worn J45 at a big loss when the new models came out. . The 'never pay retail' crowd would get wind of those deep discounts and expect similar price cuts on all models, from 5 star dealers via the internet. "

Not a perfect fit - but good enough for government work.

And your point?☺

And your point?☺

Two points -

One - people who say they support Mom & Pops will go buy on the Internet if they can save a buck. They also don't care if there is a 5 Star dealer down the block if they can get what they want cheaper on the Internet.

Two - this issue has been beat to death this month and we should have a reprieve until April.

Two points -

One - people who say they support Mom & Pops will go buy on the Internet if they can save a buck. They also don't care if there is a 5 Star dealer down the block if they can get what they want cheaper on the Internet.

Two - this issue has been beat to death this month and we should have a reprieve until April.

Thanks👍

Two points -

Three - I hope these comments weren't directed at me. You do not know me that well and they do not apply.

Nope - you're right - I don't know you that well Dave. So that's why I wasn't directing my comment to you.

I was making he general observation that some people who bemoan the erosion of the Mom & Pop retail market are the very same people who buy on the internet to get a better deal. Since you're not bemoaning - I wasn't intending or implying my comment would apply to you. Peace Out.

Two points -

Not true at all, or at least you're making a giant generalization. I drove well over an hour for two different shops, one a 5 star dealer, and one just a regular old Gibson dealer, and each were an hour away in the opposite direction of each other! One shop didnt have any J45's when I got there (even though they told me over the phone they did), and the 5 star dealer had a nice selection, but nothing that did it for me, and they wouldn't budge more than 10% off, which would have been fine by me to pay a little more with them given I found a guitar there I loved the sound of. Would have rather paid more to get the right guitar, than to roll the dice for a few more dollars off and not have played the guitar. In the long run I wouldn't have cared that I saved another 5-10% if the guitar was a keeper. Heck, I drove 4 hours to a mom and pop shop last year to buy my Advanced Jumbo.

Seems to my recollection, a few years back, Sam Ash tried bucking the Gibson brand and its requirements like Dave's is trying to do. Sam Ash certainly wasn't as interesting a chain or store when that happened. And, they are since back in the fold of being a Gibson store/chain.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Seems to my recollection, a few years back, Sam Ash tried bucking the Gibson brand and its requirements like Dave's is trying to do. Sam Ash certainly wasn't as interesting a chain or store when that happened. And, they are since back in the fold of being a Gibson store/chain.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

What could we interpret all of that to possibly mean, then?

What could we interpret all of that to possibly mean, then?

I would guess Sam Ash now fits Gibson's model, and Gibson wants them in the fold.

Same thing happened with Guitar Center. They were a Gibson dealer, then they weren't, and now they've remained a club member in good mega-stock standing since 2001.

Of course for GC it's really all about the electrics, so again here regionally, you get a bare-bones selection of acoustics out of three stores, stocking Gibsons for a metro area of 2.5 million people.

Pathetic.

Careful there! My dad is younger than some of the more active members on this forum, all of whom manage to play quite well, and going by historical exchange rates his first house cost the sterling equivalent of $7000. Given the way in which we Brits end up paying the same number of pounds for US items as Americans pay in dollars, almost irrespective of exchange rates, his £3000 probably would've bought something closer to $4000-$5000 than to $7000 in American goods. So by today's prices, his first house cost about the same as a J45 Legend costs now. Of course there's been massive inflation since then, but in this country, house prices didn't really go crazy until 2000. So plenty of people around the age 40 were in a position to buy their first house for the cost of 5 or 6 generic high-end Gibsons and Martins: for the cost of Jannus Guy's collection, then. Wouldn't have to live in a crappy part of the country either. Of course in America you fell for the sub-prime schtick before we did here, which means that your house bubble started inflating on shaky foundations a bit before ours did. Perhaps it really was a long time ago for you lot: after all, you've just elected a renowned real estate magnate as your leader.

Kids today think everyone paid $150,000 plus for the first home..... I only paid $40,000 for mine in 1980 (and that didn't come with wheels under it) Although I recall my dad telling me the house I grew up in cost him around $4000.00 in the early 1950's I guess my analogy went over a few heads...lol, I understand, if you'd have told me my house in the region I live in would now sell for three or maybe even 4 times what I paid for it I would have laughed too. Then again, When I got my drivers license I bought a new full sized Chevy 2 wheel drive pickup for $2,000.00 My, how times have changed.

I played in church last week with an older guy than me that had a j45, his wife bought him for a gift , I think around 1970 if I remember right, and the slip was in the case...it said $395.00. My 94 j45 I bought used 3 years ago and that cost me $1200.00 then on fleabay....makes me wonder where we're headed.

Not true at all, or at least you're making a giant generalization. I drove well over an hour for two different shops, one a 5 star dealer, and one just a regular old Gibson dealer, and each were an hour away in the opposite direction of each other! One shop didnt have any J45's when I got there (even though they told me over the phone they did), and the 5 star dealer had a nice selection, but nothing that did it for me, and they wouldn't budge more than 10% off, which would have been fine by me to pay a little more with them given I found a guitar there I loved the sound of. Would have rather paid more to get the right guitar, than to roll the dice for a few more dollars off and not have played the guitar. In the long run I wouldn't have cared that I saved another 5-10% if the guitar was a keeper. Heck, I drove 4 hours to a mom and pop shop last year to buy my Advanced Jumbo.

Actually, in my comment just before yours I specifically noted "I'm making the general observation..." .

So, you're "the Exception to the Rule"....

This thread sort of reminds me of "Global Warming". Does the blizzard the NorthEast is experiencing today make that 'not true at all' ?

True that...or a SJ250 Monarch and a couple of 42 J45 legend reproductions [smile]

Well look at it this way… got my 1974 J-50 new and I think it cost $325, so that would be about 1% of the cost of my 1982 house. Paid $300,000 for my current home and 1% of that would buy a $3000 GIbson. Seems about right. ;)

Actually, in my comment just before yours I specifically noted "I'm making the general observation..." .

So, you're "the Exception to the Rule"....

This thread sort of reminds me of "Global Warming". Does the blizzard the NorthEast is experiencing today make that 'not true at all' ?

It's all about whatever you want to believe I guess!

I used most of the money from a summer job in high school to buy my first good guitar - a Gibson Classical - for $110 back in the mid-60s. Minimum Wage was $1.25. So approximately 100 hours of work to get a low end Gibson. Today, the Federal Minimum Wage is $7.25. If you work 100 hours you'd have $725. Half of what the least expensive Gibsons are going for today. So, Gibson is not trying to take that market niche away from Martin (who sells tons of guitars in that price range). If they were to try to do that - they'd have to put the Gibson name on guitars made in Mexico.

FWIW - I bought my first new car in 2000 for $12,500. The same vehicle today would be DOUBLE that. So, different goods and services increase in price at different rates. Housing market included. WWII vets could buy homes under $1,000. Sears sold them in big crates, and you and your neighbors pitched in to build each other's home. Whole neighborhoods were built that way. Until a guy named Levitt invented the sub-division called Levitown in NY which provided affordable housing which didn't require a 'do it yourself' ability and friends.

Well look at it this way… got my 1974 J-50 new and I think it cost $325, so that would be about 1% of the cost of my 1982 house. Paid $300,000 for my current home and 1% of that would buy a $3000 GIbson. Seems about right. ;)

Lol....so we agree, at least on what I originally posted...that Gibsons and Martins are getting to be priced up around what some of us paid for our first home. I think this whole thing got a little cloudy....... quick. Have a great day.

...and I'm not a hater of either, I own 3 Gibson's and a Martin.

Lol....so we agree, at least on what I originally posted...that Gibsons and Martins are getting to be priced up around what some of us paid for our first home. I think this whole thing got a little cloudy

No I don't agree with what you originally posted. My point was that my 1974 Gibson cost 1% of the price of my first home, and that a new Gibson costs about 1% of the price of my current home.

What we may agree on is that Gibsons are too expensive. But suggesting that they cost as much as people paid for their first homes seems ridiculous to me.

No I don't agree with what you originally posted. My point was that my 1974 Gibson cost 1% of the price of my first home, and that a new Gibson costs about 1% of the price of my current home.

What we may agree on is that Gibsons are too expensive. But suggesting that they cost as much as people paid for their first homes seems ridiculous to me.

Sadly enough these iconic guitar companies like Gibson and Martin, as nice as their instruments are, are now priced so far out of line with many,many of the other guitar builders that they find themselves vying for a public that has lost the desire to spend more than we are comfortably able to do to own one of their higher end products. When their Guitars are in the same price range now than what many of us paid for our first home it becomes more appealing to venture out into guitar land and see what is more 'within a reasonable price range' yet still gets the job done. That's not to say their guitars aren't worth every penny they ask for them...but more to say many of us don't have the coin to invest for them. Not all of us are collectors, but rather we just want to play music. jmho.

I didn't say what everyone here paid for their first house.

We agree to disagree....I can only spell it out, I can't understand it for you. I'm done with it.

I can only spell it out, I can't understand it for you.

Well you're right about that, I don't understand it even though you have "tripled down" on your original statement. "...their Guitars are in the same price range now than what many of us paid for our first home"

Assuming that "us" means members of this forum and not our grandfathers… how many of us bought a house "in the same price range" as a new Gibson?

Well you're right about that, I don't understand it even though you have "tripled down" on your original statement. "...their Guitars are in the same price range now than what many of us paid for our first home"

Assuming that "us" means members of this forum and not our grandfathers… how many of us bought a house "in the same price range" as a new Gibson?

You get the last word, I don't come here to argue.

Archived