Gibson Brands Forums

Dave's Guitar Shop No Longer a Gibson Acoustic Dealer?

MaplesOfWrath

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well look at it this way… got my 1974 J-50 new and I think it cost $325, so that would be about 1% of the cost of my 1982 house. Paid $300,000 for my current home and 1% of that would buy a $3000 GIbson. Seems about right. ;)

Except that you're comparing guitar prices and house prices 8 years apart in the first case. So it may well even be that your first guitar cost more than 1% of the same house in 1974. But it may also be that your 1982 house cost a lot less in relation to pay than the inflation-adjusted equivalent of $300,000. I do think that Forty's assessment of purchasing power is also relevant here. According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, purchasing power of the minimum wage in the US was at its highest in 1968.Your minimum wage currently stands at $7.25. After adjustment for inflation, to achieve 1968 levels of purchasing power today, you would need a minimum wage of $10.88.

Except that you're comparing guitar prices and house prices 8 years apart in the first case. So it may well even be that your first guitar cost more than 1% of the same house in 1974. But it may also be that your 1982 house cost a lot less in relation to pay than the inflation-adjusted equivalent of $300,000. I do think that Forty's assessment of purchasing power is also relevant here. According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, purchasing power of the minimum wage in the US was at its highest in 1968.Your minimum wage currently stands at $7.25. After adjustment for inflation, to achieve 1968 levels of purchasing power today, you would need a minimum wage of $10.88.

oh holy crap my effing head.

rct

Well you're right about that, I don't understand it even though you have "tripled down" on your original statement. "...their Guitars are in the same price range now than what many of us paid for our first home"

Assuming that "us" means members of this forum and not our grandfathers… how many of us bought a house "in the same price range" as a new Gibson?

Allie did not claim that guitars now cost the same equivalent, inflation-adjusted price as houses then. Just that the price of higher mid-range Gibson guitars now is similar in simple numerical terms to the price of houses in living memory. If you prefer, that 1% of a house now has the same numerical value in dollars as a whole house then. With the wistful reflection that for people who paid $x for a house then, $x seems very expensive for a guitar now. This is not a scientific claim, but it is grounded in empirical fact.

It is not only our grandfathers' generation who were able to buy a house for a few thousand dollars or pounds. I've cited the case of my father. He is younger than a number of regular posters on this forum who demonstrate regularly that they can still play guitar. His first house cost in pounds then what a Gibson SJ200 Vintage costs now.

The UK is not the US (yet), but our markets tend to shadow yours. So if a house could be bought for £3000 in the early 1970s in parts of the UK, I find it quite believable that a house could be bought in parts of the US for a similar number of dollars. And while Ron's comment about getting out to nicer areas is funny, we live in a beautiful bit of the UK. The house prices are lower than in London is all. Perhaps you just live in a more expensive part of the US than Allie.

oh holy crap my effing head.

rct

Do keep up!

And yer right across from all the good wine to go with it! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

rct

Yeah - but then the country which actually has the wine has got an even better record on the Fields. :-$

This whole thing is ridiculous. I just don't believe that "many of us" paid $3000 for our first house, even if such houses were in fact available.

But I do think that Gibson guitars are too expensive, so at least we can agree on that. :)

I didn't say you voted for him...

Didn't mean to suggest you did - wasn't looking for a fight - just that he lost by nearly 3,000,000 votes. Seems appropriate to this thread as it cascades further into numerobabble, though😰

Didn't mean to suggest you did - wasn't looking for a fight - just that he lost by nearly 3,000,000 votes. Seems appropriate to this thread as it cascades further into numerobabble, though😰

I know there's no fight intended on either side! And that 'you' was collective. But as we have learned in more elections than this one, the fact that you collectively voted one way doesn't mean that you didn't elect somebody collectively. Your electoral college is all part of the collective process. Unless you have a killer argument so brilliant that it will dissolve the electoral college system.

On this side of the pond, we've learned a new lesson: that if 52% of 72% of the population want something, the other 65% of the population are a minority who should not only suppress their views, but publicly support the majority view.

I know there's no fight intended on either side! And that 'you' was collective. But as we have learned in more elections than this one, the fact that you collectively voted one way doesn't mean that you didn't elect somebody collectively. Your electoral college is all part of the collective process. Unless you have a killer argument so brilliant that it will dissolve the electoral college system.

On this side of the pond, we've learned a new lesson: that if 52% of 72% of the population want something, the other 65% of the population are a minority who should not only suppress their views, but publicly support the majority view.

Essentially cut from the same BS as our electoral college. When number folks are in control, seems like people suffer and lose.

Allie did not claim that guitars now cost the same equivalent, inflation-adjusted price as houses then. Just that the price of higher mid-range Gibson guitars now is similar in simple numerical terms to the price of houses in living memory. If you prefer, that 1% of a house now has the same numerical value in dollars as a whole house then. With the wistful reflection that for people who paid $x for a house then, $x seems very expensive for a guitar now. This is not a scientific claim, but it is grounded in empirical fact.

It is not only our grandfathers' generation who were able to buy a house for a few thousand dollars or pounds. I've cited the case of my father. He is younger than a number of regular posters on this forum who demonstrate regularly that they can still play guitar. His first house cost in pounds then what a Gibson SJ200 Vintage costs now.

The UK is not the US (yet), but our markets tend to shadow yours. So if a house could be bought for £3000 in the early 1970s in parts of the UK, I find it quite believable that a house could be bought in parts of the US for a similar number of dollars. And while Ron's comment about getting out to nicer areas is funny, we live in a beautiful bit of the UK. The house prices are lower than in London is all. Perhaps you just live in a more expensive part of the US than Allie.

Thanks for 'getting it' but I think it's time to close this case...lol.

This topic got really stupid ...really fast.It started talking about Dave's ditching Gibson ...Then 3 pages of crap appeared out of the blue.

This is a guitar forum ...

JC

It's turning into a mini AGF.

Well, instead of adding fuel to the fire, coming up with a new conspiracy or attacking each other, let's get it back on track.

Of the Acoustics listed, what interests you?

None of them are on my radar, but I do like the J-185 Vine. I'm shopping around for some bling to celebrate my 65th this month.

This topic got really stupid ...really fast.It started talking about Dave's ditching Gibson ...Then 3 pages of crap appeared out of the blue.

This is a guitar forum ...

JC

You must be terrific fun at parties.

rct

Well, instead of adding fuel to the fire, coming up with a new conspiracy or attacking each other, let's get it back on track.

Of the Acoustics listed, what interests you?

None of them are on my radar, but I do like the J-185 Vine. I'm shopping around for some bling to celebrate my 65th this month.

If they were lefties ... I would want that Eric Church Hummingbird Dark

That's the apple of my eye

JC

Archived