Gibson Brands Forums

Dave's Guitar Shop No Longer a Gibson Acoustic Dealer?

MaplesOfWrath

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah! The old "Blame The Accountants" strategy.

I'll see if I can find my comment from that one last week to Cut & Paste in here.

Checkmate in three moves.

What is it w/you and accountants? Really don't mean to come off as sarcastic as that sounds, but I get the feeling it's more personal than with some of us.

Meanwhile a perfectly good Gibson AJ with an LR Baggs p/u installed hangs in a store occasionally getting noticed but never an offer. Perhaps the problem is everything and nothing in and about this thread. Perhaps folks don't have discretionary cash or want a Gibson guitar?

That's too bad about Dave's. I've bought a fair bit from them over the years, Gibsons included. (Before I was even their customer, they helped me with a Gibson issue (on a USED one, at that!) and sent me some replacement tuners, for free.)

I recall that they were a Gibson dealer back in the 1990s, and underwent a period of several years where they gave up or lost the dealership with Gibson. Fortunately for their customers, they regained the Gibson dealership (electric and acoustic) again, and tend to handle a lot of Gibson product. So it's sad to see that a dealer of Dave's caliber is giving it up (again).

I would guess Sam Ash now fits Gibson's model, and Gibson wants them in the fold.

Same thing happened with Guitar Center. They were a Gibson dealer, then they weren't, and now they've remained a club member in good mega-stock standing since 2001.

Of course for GC it's really all about the electrics, so again here regionally, you get a bare-bones selection of acoustics out of three stores, stocking Gibsons for a metro area of 2.5 million people.

Pathetic.

I think it had to do with Sam Ash needing Gibson to bring customers into their stores as well as to boost their sales. And, I assume Gibson also wanted their business. I wonder if Dave's will experience the same. I've seen Dave's huge display of guitars at guitar shows and I've always enjoyed their large selection of Gibsons. With Gibsons at their display, I likely will pass it by at a guitar show in favor of another's display with Gibsons in it.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Jeff, do you mean with Dave's Not having Gibsons in their displays at guitar shows, you will pass them by? I believe in the past, small brick & mortar shops would hang a few Gibsons so they could hang a "Gibson" sign in their window as a draw... Knowing most attracted would wind up buying Martin, Taylor or Takamine under $1,000.

Jeff, do you mean with Dave's Not having Gibsons in their displays at guitar shows, you will pass them by? I believe in the past, small brick & mortar shops would hang a few Gibsons so they could hang a "Gibson" sign in their window as a draw... Knowing most attracted would wind up buying Martin, Taylor or Takamine under $1,000.

Yep! Gibsons (and a lot of them there) were the reason I stopped by Dave's display at guitar shows.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Stopping by is one thing. Buying is another. ;)

True, but by stopping by I meant playing/trying different Gibsons there, seeing/hearing if a guitar got to me, weighing the price/value of it there, my musical need for it, etc...all of could mean buying it or passing on buying it. Passing Dave's by if there are no Gibsons there means none of those things occurring.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

On the most basic level, I assume they are no longer a Gibson dealer because they are not making money selling Gibson guitars. I mean, it's a business. :) When people "play/try, see/hear and weigh the price/value", they don't make anything, it actually costs them money. I undertand the point that you "might" buy one, but it sounds like you didn't. When they made the decision to drop Gibson, I'm sure they took this all into account and decided it just wasn't worth it.

On the most basic level, I assume they are no longer a Gibson dealer because they are not making money selling Gibson guitars. I mean, it's a business. :) When people "play/try, see/hear and weigh the price/value", they don't make anything, it actually costs them money. I undertand the point that you "might" buy one, but it sounds like you didn't. When they made the decision to drop Gibson, I'm sure they took this all into account and decided it just wasn't worth it.

I am 64 years old, played guitar since I was 9, and I own 39 musical instruments, the guitars are primarily Gibsons and Epiphones. Never say never. (Unless they do not carry the product.). It's true, though, what you say about they must not have been making money in Gibsons if they dropped the line. Personally, their displays at least at the Chicagoland guitar shows was always about 3 or 4 times the size of the other display booths at the shows. And, a ton of Gibsons filled that large display. Perhaps, bigger isn't always better or profitable figures in there, too. Just speculating. But, from a customer/player perspective, sorry to see them no longer carrying Gibsons.

Regarding Henry's strategy...Gibson is still in business after all these years and their guitars remain top class...so he must be doing something right in his strategy for Gibson, by adjusting to the new marketplaces (online) and global economy...to keep Gibson as a major player the way he has and preventing it from just becoming a brand name made overseas like so many other brands without direct lineage like Gibsons have to their American company roots.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived