Gibson Brands Forums

Mr croz and his guitars

blindboygrunt

I'm glad BBG posted this. I watched it a couple of days ago. Croz is a man of strong opinions, and he loves his Martins.

And as Sal said, watching that low E string dance is mesmerizing. That's what happens when you tune it down.

Speaking of which, I've been playing my old J-45 tuned down a half step recently to do some ancient Jefferson Airplane stuff (no, not Embryonic Journey). It's shocking how much the tonal balance and character of a guitar change when you do this. That particular guitar (1948-'50 J-45) has always had a ringing B-string, but with the guitar tuned down, it's now the high E string (now D#/E flat)that rings in an uncanny fashion.

It's a good experiment, just to hear how a guitar changes.

Its a great tone and like almost all 40 series Martins it has that light high end 'shimmer' that I only associate with the 40 series Marts. This has been debated to death on the AGF, some dont hear it, some hear it straight away, nobody can figure out for sure where the shimmer comes from. Most common response is the extra abalone but who knows. I definitely hear it compared to the 28 and 35 garden varieties which are much more bassier and muddier with the low end really dominating.

Crosby's (and CSN&Y's) passion for music has been an inspiration for me since I discovered them as a 15 year youngster.

But though Martin was their brand, I went out to buy Gibson when it was time to get the first high-end acoustic, ,

, , eeeehh and came home with Norlins (without knowing a hair about anything, of course - who did).

The Croz sword is and has always been Mart. dreads, no doubt.

Yet he has played McAllisters, Olsons and recently purchased a big round edged big hippie-guitar with a name I can't recall.

And let's not forget the Gibson rosewood J-200 seen live half a decade ago.

The D-45 flagship in the video was found at Lundbergs Fretted Instruments, Berkely, around 1968/69 and served him ever since.

I like that he still carries the affection for this guitar, which by the way probably is non-scalloped, but severely broken in.

Here's a link to a thread that touches Lundbergs from 2015

http://forum.gibson....-not-so-youngs/

That story is great, JT - but when I asked D.C. about it on twitter a few days after the event, he didn't remember.

Ha ! - guess the sativa took it's toll - and I naturally trust your memory to be a few frets better ^

That story is great, JT - but when I asked D.C. about it on twitter a few days after the event, he didn't remember. - guess the sativa took it's toll - and I naturally trust your memory to be a few frets better

Funny! He brought his guitar tech along and the organizers set him and the D-45 up in a room for the day. The line formed early and we all got to play the guitar.

Funny! He brought his guitar tech along and the organizers set him and the D-45 up in a room for the day. The line formed early and we all got to play the guitar.

No big deal - I remember him talking 'bout the tech as if this guy stood for the sharing without himself bein' directly involved.

Never mind.

Main thing is you (all) got to play the legendary oldie. Would have been some spruce'n'rose-moment for me. :-)

Enjoyed that. Thanks for the share. Guitars "bring magic". That they do, David.

Have a lot of respect for this guy for working out a distinctive personal style on the instrument. Chordy in a way, but mainly melodic.with pedal tones. Definitely a jazz influence or ambiance. Quite impressive.

Archived