Gibson Brands Forums

Recording Setup for iPad (J50 and HD28 content too)

MorrisrownSal

Hey guys....

Seriously, the simplest and best sounding solution is still my Apogee MiC.

I bought this a year ago, and used twice - the second time being today. It's an Audiotechnica something or other and a Shure MVi.

Z1MQh4ll.jpg

I am not getting the most out of this. I cant get it to sound as nice as my Apogee, and so the pair might go on reverb. Or teach me? Teach me how to position things better. I am 3 feet away when I record. To me this does not sound good:

CANCELED the first recording... thanks for the feedback.

I am just trying to see if its worth my keeping this setup around.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, Sal. The setup has that "across the room" sound to it, distant, not very present and alive sounding. I'm not familiar with the Shure audio interface thing at all........is it a requirement to attach the AT mic to the iPad? Over the years I've become highly suspicious of anything not absolutely required in a signal chain.......the clearer the path, the clearer the output. I suspect the Apogee plugs directly into the iPad without the interface and the AT needs the interface. Assuming that the interface is required, I'd get closer to the mic......much closer.....like 8-10" if possible. It would take some experimentation to get the vertical position right to balance guitar and vocal, but I think you'd get a much better recording by reducing the space between you and the mic. Then there's the distinct possibility that the Audio Technica is not the mic the Apogee is and you'll never be happy with the sound. Experiment.

I agree, Sal. It sounds kind of distant, hollow, and slightly harsh. I record with an Apogee too, and I believe it is very hard to beat if you want to stay with the iPad. I used to record with a laptop, and an external soundcard, but it is just waaaaay too much hassle. I love the simplicity, long battery life, and flexibility of the simple iPad/Apogee combo. Here is a recording I did with the Apogee mic earlier this week. There is a lot to be desired concerning how the guy behind the guitar sounds, but the organ and the overall recording I believe sound good. I pan the two tracks a little left and right, and add a touch of reverb.

Is your mic the 96k version? Mine is not. If you can't get the new mic to work, just sell it and free up some cash.

Lars

Like Buc said, it sounds too distant. I reckon try recording much closer so it can capture more of the presence of the fundamental rich tone. And then you can put a bit of compression on it if its too much and play around with EQ. But I reckon closer mike position is needer her to get more warmth and presence.

Yeah, definitely fuller and richer than before. I reckon the vocals are still a bit overly strong in the mix and personally Id like to hear the guitar groove a bit more out there. I would lower the mike by half a foot and have the height closer to the guitar personally. Or somewhere between the guitar and the mouth in terms of height level.

Yeah......now yer talkin'! Much better. I think you ought to lower the mic two or three inches and stand just a bit closer.......placement inches matter a lot in this situation. The object is to get as much gain as possible from both sources, voice and guitar, but not have one overpower the other. The voice is working real well in this video, the guitar a bit subdued. This is how I'm using the Edwina but with an amplifier, not a recorder.

Experiment!

Ok. I feel like this is out of Goldilox and the Three Bears... Is the vocal too subdued here? Sorry to bug you. Once I get it, and I am comfortable with the settings etc., I will try to use this, as its more flexible with other recording systems outside the iPad too.

Thats it, you got it Sal. That Gibson growl and midrange came out in droves now, but your vocals still complemented it. But the groove and attitude was there, foot got tapping ! [thumbup]

I see you listened to the BBG and turned the heating on.

Trivia question: How are you capturing video when using the AT mic? I fell for the simplicity and quality of recording audio and video with the Apogee MiC 96k going into the iPhone ever since hearing some of your earlier recordings- I can take the mic along in the bag, and be recording in seconds if something recordable is stumbled upon, or just to take musical "notes".

The Apogee is, however, very sensitive to proximity- so much so, I've put numbers on a slice of masking tape to help getting back to, or dialing in gain level on the mic:

D9aj828.jpg

The audio is AT through Shure MVi into iPad. The video is iPad Camera.

I have the pre 96k Apogee MiC... it is easy, and sensitive. I got this different setup because I was using up credit at a retailer. If I can dial it in, it's great. The Shure has these different presets and options I have not even begun to explore.

Nice set up Sal! I have an AT2035 coming my way soon.

I will be slowly but surely getting into the recording set up mode....as the IPhone will become a backseat rider for the time being unless I get an iRig/Apogee set up. [thumbup]

Trans

Just experiment. Trial and error. Not sure how to teach you over the internet. Do some searches on articles on the best way to mic acoustic guitars. Mess around with placing the AT mic close and further away. I use a cheap Rode NT-1 and anSM57 into a crappy little Scarlett interface or an Apogee Jam interface if i want quick and dirty, and get pretty good results. I use the Rode to catch both the vocals and guitar, but it usually gets more voice than guitar, so I blend in the SM57 which I close mic on the guitar. Then I go into Logic (Garage Band works just fine as well) and add a little reverb, EQ and compression and call it a day. The more you do it and the more you experiment with mic placement and mixing you'll get a feel for what sounds good and what you like. I'd say learn how to use the mic(s) you have now and learn the basics. Once you have a sense of how to get a good sound then you can step up to something better. But with a simple setup like that AT mic, an interface and an iPad you should be fine for basic stuff.

Archived