Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

btoth76

Hello.

My first ever semi-hollow just arrived from Thomann Germany.

Wanted to be safe and not to invest big money into something I am unfamiliar with, so I went with an Epiphone Les Paul ES. Gibsons of this kind are far beyond my budget.

Uj%20Gitaacuter_zpsrekeug04.jpg

Bence.

Thank You.

I am very curious too. The reviews are great (especially on pickups).

I still at work, nor do I want to talk with the new guitar excitement on my lips.

What I can say now, the guitar is nice - not Gibson nice, though. The optional case is perfect!

More on this tomorrow... :)

Bence.

Congrats, Bence, on your new purchase. She looks nice! [wub]

I'm curious about your review - those from Session Music and Anderton's are quite encouraging I think, so I guess she will sound nice, too! [thumbup]

....Wanted to be safe and not to invest big money into something I am unfamiliar with, so I went with an Epiphone Les Paul ES.

Smartly done! Love that dark rosewood fretboard. Goes great with the wine red. I'm betting you're going to like those probuckers.... msp_thumbup.gif

Hello and thank You for the kind responses.

I have spent the yesterday night with evaluating and setting up the guitar. Let me share my observations on it.

At first glance, - removing it from the polyfoam wrap - what immediately strikes the eye is the very thick poly finish. Looking closely it seems very plastic-y. The Gibson`s nitro lacquer finish seems more natural and organic. This finish is very industrial, if I can put it that way. Even Fender`s poly finish seems easier on eye.

However, the application of the finish is nicely done and the top maple veneer has a beautiful, reverse-chevron grain pattern.

HPIM6273_zpszbutuigf.jpg

Looking at the fretboard, I realised it is the same variant of rosewood seen on Indonesian Ibanez guitars. It is polished very smooth, almost glossy.

HPIM6310_zpspufpg0ls.jpg

Then, the next thing that caught my attention is the quality of the plastics. Again, it seems industrial-grade: thick and rigid.

HPIM6262_zpsngx1f1sq.jpg

Especially, the pickguard:

HPIM6275_zps8vulbddu.jpg

When I looked at the nut, I immediately decided that I have to change it. It isn`t nice, but later I found out it does it`s job properly. Does not catches the G-string, like it did on all of my Gibsons:

HPIM6266_zpsuclqz91h.jpg

That was all for complaints. The rest of the features are surprisingly nice on the guitar. The first surprise came, when I noticed that the neck is made of one piece of mahogany. There is no scarf-joint:

HPIM6286_zpscuvnxko0.jpg

The machine heads are the same mini Grovers, as on my 2011 Gibson L6S:

HPIM6291_zps5q3ejh4a.jpg

The felt ring under the strap button is a very nice touch I would like to see on Gibsons:

HPIM6281_zpshw01f9ir.jpg

The neck on the guitar has a very similar shape to those on the classical guitars: thick and flat "D"-profile.

The heel is quite big, as expected on a semi-hollow instrument:

HPIM6280_zpscxndewq5.jpg

The ridge on the push-pull volume pots provides a better grip:

HPIM6258_zpscfje1s2a.jpg

The locking TOM and stopbar are done perfectly with tight tolerances:

HPIM6257_zpssstvb0g1.jpg

The instrument came with a very-high action. I am not going to complain about this as I completely understand the reasoning behind not setting up an instrument at the factory. After lowering the strings to my prefered height, I found out that the neck is set up perfectly, and the frets are in level too. No buzz at all. The frets felt a bit raw, but that was gone after a half an hour of playing. It plays smooth and comfortably.

HPIM6312_zpspaubp1c6.jpg

Another thing I noticed is that this Epiphone Les Paul has a correct body shape. When I looked at Epiphone Les Pauls, even without seeing the headstock and the bridge, I could immediately recognize it`s brand. I don`t know what is the detail that gives it away, but I always felt that something is off on them, compared to a Gibson. Not on this one. From distance, the body shape perfectly matches the appearance of a Gibson.

HPIM6306_zpser2v1p3x.jpg

Most importantly, the sound! It`s not going to be a case queen, nor a decoration. It`s a real guitar that meant to be played.

When I first plugged it in, my Sykes/Rhoads sound setting was active. I didn`t buy the guitar to play it at high gain levels, but I though I should give it a try that way too. Surprisingly, it wasn`t feedbacking, nor humming. In fact, it sounded great for high-gain, high-speed chops. Just like a Les Paul should, not less.

After lowering the pickups, I tried it with clean settings. Brilliant! What is great about a semi-hollow like this, that it allows playing with dynamics. Pick it lightly and it sounds gentle, strike the strings and it shouts. I didn`t had to touch the volume pots to play at different levels. The coil-tapping function makes it very versatile. I liked both pickups coil-tapped together - it`s a very nice jazzy sounding combination: round, woody, hollow notes. The new ProBucker pickups (that are said to be the most most most perfect PAF replicas ever made, with proper specs, blah-blah) sound great. Epiphone did overcome it`s weakness in this area.

What surprised me again, that it didn`t sound very good with TS-like overdrive. The settings I used for solids just didn`t worked with this instrument. I had to back off the gain, because it sounded very harsh.

I think, it is a very good instrument for the price. If I close my eyes, it sounds and feels nothing less than a real Gibson. Of course, there is room for improvement, but only from aestetical aspects. And it`s not about the crafsmanship which is perfect! It`s about the quality of the lacquer itself and the plastics.

8 points out of 10.

Bence.

Archived