Gibson Brands Forums

What do you reckon of this .. ?

EuroAussie

Does something smell odd about this or is it a super deal on a vintage J-45 for somebody ?

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449603

EA

That is a full refinish that has been for sale for a while. It's got some plugged holes which for the price is not that big a deal. What really bugs me about that particular guitar is instead of replicating the superlative Gibson sunburst, it looks like the burst from a CEO 7 or CEO 8 which is not going to attract too many Gibson fans. Could sound and play terrific but online the first thing folks are going to notice is how it looks.

That is a full refinish that has been for sale for a while. It's got some plugged holes which for the price is not that big a deal. What really bugs me about that particular guitar is instead of replicating the superlative Gibson sunburst, it looks like the burst from a CEO 7 or CEO 8 which is not going to attract too many Gibson fans. Could sound and play terrific but online the first thing folks are going to notice is how it looks.

Yeah, that is a Martin standard sunburst ..... i.e a shocker.

Yes, the burst area is too small and the gradient creates too much red - clown burst. Also, IMO that crack in the neck heel was probably caused during the neck reset - either trying to pull the joint apart or pushing it back together. If the repair guy didn't notice it, it's no wonder he can't tell a clown burst from a Gibson burst. . B)

100_1931_zpscv7tn6cp.jpg

100_1926_zpspngzanbd.jpg

The guitar has no real vintage value, unless it has really good tone that isn't replicated in a modern guitar.

Depending on how it sounds and plays, it could be a good buy at that price.

I've seen much worse 'bursts, by the way.

If I had the moveable moolah I'd buy this and play the hell out of it!! Looks great and probably plays superbly too.

That was my thought, too. The 'burst may not be primo, but so what, and - like Nick - I've seen worse.

The burst is not a whole lot different than the Sunset Burst on the J45 12 Fret being advertised by Acoustic Letter this morning.

Again with the optical illusion of making a guitar body look stretched to become a 12 fret. That soundhole and bridge being located lower into the body, etc.

The guitar Acoustic Letter is demo'ing is indeed a crispy one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiKRSDss2og

Archived