Gibson Brands Forums

Rig Rundown - Bon Jovi's John Shanks, Phil X, and Hugh McDonald

Rabs

I started watching this, listening to John Shanks talk and show his rack and everything and I got pretty confused. I'm not a pro player at his level, nor a studio engineer nor have I played venues as large as they have. My largest was probably around 2,500 people. I kept thinking this as I was watching the first part of the video, "Why does he need all this stuff?" I went on the road with a stack, 4 or 5 pedals (I guess they're calling them stomp boxes these days) and that was my tone which varied slightly from song to song, or parts of songs. The rest was amp tone, guitar volume/tone, amp volume/tone. A little reverb, a little chorus and a Crybaby pedal. I had an EQ, Noise Gate and Compressor but I just rarely used them.

What do others use? Am I too old school? A Gibson V into a Randall stack is what I used. I have a Marshall combo now and a little Fender Mustang amp but my Randall had the sound and the power to play the kind of music I played. I'd do a quick adjustment on the amp or guitar between songs to get that sound I wanted for the song, if I needed to change it but that wasn't often.

I'd be interested in hearing what others use. I'd certainly be all kinds of lost with that much equipment to try to figure out and keep track of. I'd end up hitting a button and making my guitar sound like a chicken or something. My only complaint from sound guys back in the day was volume, as in too much.

I'm sure it's amazing but, sorry, Rabs; a youtube clip lasting one-and-a-half hours is an instant 'Off' hereabouts.

Hope others have the time to have fun!

msp_thumbup.gif

I'll be sure to check in to see any comments left here from those who manage the marathon.

Pip.

I'm sure it's amazing but, sorry, Rabs; a youtube clip lasting one-and-a-half hours is an instant 'Off' hereabouts.

Hope others have the time to have fun!

msp_thumbup.gif

I'll be sure to check in to see any comments left here from those who manage the marathon.

Pip.

Yeah I didn't watch the whole thing.. I just skipped forward to the guitars that looked interesting :)

I had a quick look at some of the guitars they take on the road in the video and loved some of the Gibsons, especially the LP Custom.

Phil X is a strange guy...like a real life Wayne's World character from the demo videos I've seen him do in the past. He never struck me as a good player, yet he's likable for his enthusiasm to 'ROCK!'. I've seen him make some beautiful archtops sound awful! Barney Kessel would cry!

Edit. An interesting comparison of the 'Always' solos by Phil, then Richie. Richie is by far the more accomplished player in my opinion. Phil's solo lacks the feel and fluency of Richie's. I'm not big Bon Jovi fan, but always appreciated Richie's playing. The last album I bought by them was 'These Days' and that was back in 1995!

this was the best version of the solo IMO. From Wembley 1995.

Archived