Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson tobacco burst finishes

walkingwizard

1981 Gibson "The V" CMT Tobacco Sunburst

1981GibsonTheV_zpsswajpi4z.jpg

This one's not a tobacco burst, probably because it's no longer politically correct to use tobacco but here's a bourbon burst, since bourbon is the craze now instead of tobacco.

2017 Les Paul Standard T Bourbon Burst

2017BourbonBurst_zpsvsutj5hh.jpg

I love my 81 V and the finish.

Here's my 1978 S-G Standard in Tobacco Sunburst, bought used in 1982 from the pre-owner, a former bandmate of mine, who still is responsible for by far most of her signs of use including fret and fingerboard wear. I retrofitted a TP-6 tailpiece and a blank truss-rod cover four years ago.

IMG_0555_zps60jhbvlw.jpg

IMG_0543_zpsawajqdfi.jpg

IMG_0539_zps3vogbdkj.jpg

S-Gpeghead_TRC_zpsc690165f.jpg

Here's my 1978 S-G Standard in Tobacco Sunburst, bought used in 1982 from the pre-owner, a former bandmate of mine, who still is responsible for by far most of her signs of use including fret and fingerboard wear. I retrofitted a TP-6 tailpiece and a blank truss-rod cover four years ago.

Personally, I love the worn look, as long as it's fully functional and still plays well with no major issues. Mine's certainly had a few thousand hours of playing over the years. That's how I know that they are played and loved, if they have some signs of wear. That means they've been played. Kind of like that old worn pair of shoes or jeans or t-shirt that just has that "comfortable" feel.

Nice guitars; every one of them!

msp_thumbup.gif

Is there a specific difference, in Gibson terminology, between 'Tobacco Sunburst' and 'Vintage Sunburst'?..............eusa_think.gif.............they seem very similar to me.

I know that Darkburst features more red (and blue) in the mix than does a TBSB but Tobacco Sunburst seems to cover a limited but noticeably different range of hues.

Anyhow, FWIW, here's my VSB '91 '1960 Classic';

Treacle-1_zpsf6b3542e.jpg

Pip.

I don't know if they're calling anything tobacco sunburst any more, are they? I haven't seen the term used on a new guitar for a while. Then again, I can't say I've been actively looking. I think it's the outer color that defines it because the outer color seems to be the same on each with the lighter tone being varying shades. I didn't show the back of my V but it's a dark brown color without the burst, whereas the SG was. Do any of the others have the burst on the back or are they all the darker brown back?

Archived