Gibson Brands Forums

NOGD

BluesKing777

Hot off the wagon, my 1993 Lowden LSE1 Mahogany b/s and Sitka top.....comes in a Hiscox made Lowden flightcase....

Played it at the shop and it said it was made just for me, so...it is mine. It has an u/s pickup already and it works! I don't like the strings on it!

TgqJzB1.jpg

nKbMxvQ.jpg

Nice piece of mahogany on the back:

tQejPFf.jpg

And the previous owner must have been in a band called "Broken Sweethearts" - what a great band name and the sticker is staying!

RuMfGAp.jpg

BluesKing777.

Nice BK

They are gorgeous guitars no doubt about it.

Keep your eye open for avalons and , in my opinion the greatest 'mcilroy'

The guy who has my j45 for setup also makes his own , Mcnally guitars . Haven't played one , I held parts of a couple last Saturday morning , think I'll make a point of going to his workshop when he has one that's ready for shipping out to see how the boy holds up . He did train at lowden / Avalon and then under lowdens and avalons master luthier Sam Irwin .

When I said that , eyes closed , a fella could reasonably easily tell if a guitar was Irish made , he said that he was building with the notion of half the Irish airyness and half the American classic tone . So I'm interested in havin a bash on one of his creations

The lowdens aren't for everyone , me included , but for gentle fingerpicking the response is amazing and the tone of course is pure music

Strum it hard though and it's overtone meltdown

Interestingly though I've never played a spruce top .. always cedar . You just have to look at cedar and it has a mark appear

I'm not a hard strummer ,maybe I just am not beautiful enough to match the tone of a lowden 😊

Check out some Damien rice on YouTube who's lowden is just about hanging together and no more

You will of course have heard Richard Thompson on his , but he'd nearly make you wanna smash all your guitars and give up

I remember reading Richard Thompson saying that his lowden was the hardest guitar to play he ever owned . But he meant that as in driving a Ferrari isn't as easy as driving a ford , but get it right and there's nothing quite like it

Yours is in good hands . Play with health

Thanks BBG.

I have looked out for the others since you mentioned them last year, read about them, watched a video or 2, but guess what? Not one anywhere here. There was a rumour a shop in town had a used McIlroy but it was long gone.... I prefer to play locally before buying these days - the delivery people have played too many games.

The new Lowdens are about the price of a car here now, so that ain't ever happening! Both mine are almost 25 years old, one of the attractions of the latest one - getting too old to break in new guitars and enjoy the benefits while an older one is played in but not worn out. And they both have pickups already - I would never drill holes in these but it has been done and I like playing through gadgets.

The guitar above is about OM size while my other one is like an 00, totally different woods but has the Lowden similarity in there, like most Gibsons do.

Now I am retraining it.

BluesKing777.

And still you bought it ? I don't get it !

Beautiful piece... The back is gorgeous. [love]

Actually, shock of shocks, the strings are brand shiny new like they put them on for me.

And the guitar back IS gorgeous and if it sounds krapt, it will go on the living room or kitchen wall!

(At the shop, I was going to play it cool and play this one and that one before moseying over for a quick glance at the Lowden, but I saw it as soon as I entered the 'high end' area and headed straight for it, played it, played a few other guitars and then this one again.....great)

BluesKing777.

OoooLaLa....a beauty! Do you like the placement of the strap button?

Tis a bit strange for sure!

Either they changed their mind and moved it or maybe the earlier one got caught on a strap and yanked out.....

Don't care, just played it again for 45 minutes. Great guitar!

BluesKing777.

congratulations BK That is a nice looking Guitar..Is that two Lowdens in the herd now? Beautiful.

Thanks KC.

Well it was sitting there for months and nobody bought it, suspicious, and they dropped the price a number of times since Xmas and then BK got the Bends. (highly advanced form of GAS with nitrogen BUY, BUY, BUY bubbles in the blood and, and, and........ I went to try it out, was going to play it cool and calmly try some others but it was right there were I walked in the high end guitar area and I asked if I could try it......l-o-v-e, but I played canny Scot and left the Lowden to play a few other guitars...to put the salesman off the scent! Yeah, right.

Now I should select some from the 'herd' to go for slaughter, I suppose. I have mentioned my plan to trade my Monopoly houses up to Monopoly Hotels, haven't I?

BluesKing777.

Thanks KC.

Well it was sitting there for months and nobody bought it, suspicious, and they dropped the price a number of times since Xmas and then BK got the Bends. (highly advanced form of GAS with nitrogen BUY, BUY, BUY bubbles in the blood and, and, and........ I went to try it out, was going to play it cool and calmly try some others but it was right there were I walked in the high end guitar area and I asked if I could try it......l-o-v-e, but I played canny Scot and left the Lowden to play a few other guitars...to put the salesman off the scent! Yeah, right.

Now I should select some from the 'herd' to go for slaughter, I suppose. I have mentioned my plan to trade my Monopoly houses up to Monopoly Hotels, haven't I?

Hey as long as you are ok with how many you have and can give them the love they need, it is all good. IU was only asking to make sure I was not commenting on one you had bought a couple months ago.. I say the more you can have the more fun will will have. Cheer to you it is a great guitar.

BluesKing777.

Headline.....

'Missing man found this morning'

'Man reported missing last week was found this morning under a collapsed pile of guitar cases..... it appears he may have been pulling a case from the top rack as the bottom rack gave away, swamping him in guitar cases. He is reportedly doing well but asked for some McDonalds.......'

'Rescue Squad Leader, Pat Malone was heard mumbling that he could not believe why any person would need more than one guitar as they all sound the same don't they? And when questioned, the missing man said he had to get the top guitar in the rack down to search for glue spots'

BluesKing777.

Archived