Gibson Brands Forums

Clip tuner does not work well on my firebird

bigtim

I have several clip tuners. None of them work well on my firebird. Not that I cannot tune a guitar but am wanting to make sure the intonation is correct. Now I am kicking myself in the butt for selling my korg rack tuner. What do you guys use? Am waiting for the new handheld Korg to be in stock at sweetwater.

have a few planet waves minis a snark and a fishman clip tuners. They work for normal tuning ok..

For intonation, I use my trusty old Peterson VS1 strobe tuner which i have had for at least 20 years.

it's just so much more accurate and precise.

Check out their more recent products...

https://www.petersontuners.com/

they are (IMO) some of the best tuners you can find.

Huh. Me too, and me too 20 years. Bye.

rct

hey Ron, your LCD screen sill 100%? I lost a few "bars" at the bottom, right where the display shows the "mode" for setting temperament, key etc.... (I can get around that) Tried to see if I could have it fixed, but Peterson can't replace the LCDs on the VS-1 any more, But they were so NICE.. they told me to "feel free to buy another one of our tuners though"... -- yea,, thanks...--

hey Ron, your LCD screen sill 100%? I lost a few "bars" at the bottom, right where the display shows the "mode" for setting temperament, key etc.... (I can get around that) Tried to see if I could have it fixed, but Peterson can't replace the LCDs on the VS-1 any more, But they were so NICE.. they told me to "feel free to buy another one of our tuners though"... -- yea,, thanks...--

lolz.

No, no troubles. I gigged that thing for years, velcro'd to the top of the Prosonic. It's been around and still ok. I know it'll go though, it's getting wobbly at times, seems like it can't hear sometimes for a second or two, not as quick on the draw as it used to be.

Like us, I guess.

rct

I have several clip tuners. None of them work well on my firebird. Not that I cannot time a guitar but am wanting to make sure the intonation is correct. Now I am kicking myself in the butt for selling my korg rack tuner. What do you guys use? Am waiting for the new handheld Korg to be in stock at sweetwater.

I didn't even answer you with all that gabbing down there.

I use a Boss something or other clip on, and it doesn't like two or three of my guitars, I have to move it around up there for it to hear right. It's just dull spots or places that don't harmonically resonate with the rest of the guitar enough to get the tuner to hear it.

Besides all that, you should not be using that thing for intonation. I have a Kork rack in my studio that I like, and a Peterson Virtual strobe that I will miss when it craps out. Get something like them, a decent tuner for intonation. You don't really have to intonate them all that much but when you do it's good to have something good.

rct

Yes those are some nice tuners. I like them too. I am just not sure I want to invest that much for a tuner at the moment. When I was in business for myself I did some guitar set ups and had a nice rack tuner by Korg. It was just laying around in the way, so I sold it. The older style tuners like boss or seikos used to do just fine for me. The ones with the needle you know, or some were hybrids with analog needle and a digital read out. I may pull the trigger on that Boss one that is the older style I like but 99 bucks is still a bit on the high side on a tuner. I am not into the pedal tuners because I just do studio work now.

have a few planet waves minis a snark and a fishman clip tuners. They work for normal tuning ok..

For intonation, I use my trusty old Peterson VS1 strobe tuner which i have had for at least 20 years.

it's just so much more accurate and precise.

Check out their more recent products...

https://www.petersontuners.com/

they are (IMO) some of the best tuners you can find.

Although I do use a clip-on tuner sometimes with electric guitars, especially when I have the electronics out of a guitar on the bench, I don't trust it for fine-tuning, like setting intonation. I use a Turbo Tuner as my bench tuner and I use them on my rigs too so I have the same tuning experience from then bench to the pedalboard. I also like clip-on tuners with my acoustics.

Also, I've noticed that the optimum clip-on tuner placement varies from guitar to guitar. I remember the first time I used one on an Explorer and I could not get it to work consistently until I moved it on the underside of the headstock right next to the high-e tuning machine. At that point it worked great.

I do not understand why someone would spend thousands of dollars on a guitar, chosen partially for the finish, headstock shape, logo and inlays, and then clamp an odd shaped piece of black plastic on the headstock, completely changing the shape, look, contours, and balance.... and then... leave it hanging there while they play. It looks like crap!

In the case of an electric guitar, you always have the signal path to insert an inline tuner (be it stomp box or rack mount), which all come with switches and bypasses these days.

Without the electronic signal path, acoustics obviously present a different challenge, but I would still never leave a clip-on tuner hanging from the headstock during a performance.

That said... In my wireless rig, I have a Korg DTR-2 rack-mounted with the wireless receiver. In my gigbag I keep an old hand-held Korg DT-2, and on my little pedal board I use (when needed) for A/B guitar switching, A/B channel switching and built-in FX switching, I have a Fender PT-100 stompbox tuner.

No headstock warts for me.

I agree but, it is the only tuners I have at the moment. I never left the headstock tuners on my headstock. Already have made a purchase on a Korg with input and planning on another soon. It is just for intonation purposes.

I do not understand why someone would spend thousands of dollars on a guitar, chosen partially for the finish, headstock shape, logo and inlays, and then clamp an odd shaped piece of black plastic on the headstock, completely changing the shape, look, contours, and balance.... and then... leave it hanging there while they play. It looks like crap!

In the case of an electric guitar, you always have the signal path to insert an inline tuner (be it stomp box or rack mount), which all come with switches and bypasses these days.

Without the electronic signal path, acoustics obviously present a different challenge, but I would still never leave a clip-on tuner hanging from the headstock during a performance.

That said... In my wireless rig, I have a Korg DTR-2 rack-mounted with the wireless receiver. In my gigbag I keep an old hand-held Korg DT-2, and on my little pedal board I use (when needed) for A/B guitar switching, A/B channel switching and built-in FX switching, I have a Fender PT-100 stompbox tuner.

No headstock warts for me.

Archived