Gibson Brands Forums

Mastered!

AnneS

50 weeks after the first recording session, we now have mastered tracks. It was yet another new learning venture, relatively painless after all the mixing and remixing.

I'm still probably 4 weeks out from having a manufactured disc in hand, but.. the deed is done! (And yes, copyright registration is pending...)

Come See

Feel free to poke around--I removed all the prior tracks so, unfortunately, you won't be able to A/B the pre- and post-mastered versions, but if you just NEED to have that experience, pm me, and I'll oblige.

Because it can never be said enough--thanks, all of you (accountants, too! :rolleyes:) for chiming in, from the very beginning not only of this project, but of my early songwriting and singing wobbles.

Cheers--Anne

Really sweet, Anne. Love your music. Very, very easy-to-listen-to. BTW, if and when you decide to print a bunch of CDs, take a look at Crystal Clear CD in Texas. It's where I had mine done. $349 for 1000 of them. Full color of whatever you want to put on them. That's around 35 cents for a CD. Sell them at gigs for 3-5 bucks...lol....anyway, just a suggestion.....Great music, kid. Lots of fun, ain't it?

hey Anne,

Listening now.

These songs are excellent.

I do remember hearing a few of these tracks as work in progress. The finished / master tracks sound great.

Any idea when and where will this be available for public consumption. do let us know.

Great job...

Excellent work - I just finished listening to it from start to finish and greatly enjoyed it! I enjoyed the arrangements and the attention to detail, the songs themselves and their performance! How do you plan to release it? I look forward to seeing what happens next!

I had a listen and all I can say is, superb!

I think Tribe is especially good. I like the vibe and the soaring electric solo. I will gladly purchase a copy once it goes on sale. Just let me know how you distribute it.

Lars

Hi Anne, I haven't been getting much forum time lately but this caught my eye and then ear! So pleased for you to have showcased your songs like this.Great result.

Thanks for sharing the process.I've enjoyed hearing the development from your soundcloud versions onwards!The CD is already a success as it stands.

Congratulations!

It is certainly not for the impatient, is it?

50 weeks for the recording process doesn't include collecting the song material etc!

I have listened to the first three tracks and they are just perfect - will listen to the others over the weekend. Congratulations doesn't really cut it. Wow!

And when you say in the thread title: "Mastered!", a few here think you have a new spouse or something [flapper] but a quick look at Wiki produces this concise paragraph about music recording mastering:

Mastering, a form of audio post production, is the process of preparing and transferring recorded audio from a source containing the final mix to a data storage device (the master); the source from which all copies will be produced (via methods such as pressing, duplication or replication).

A friend had a few recordings done of his various bands and before he mentioned the trials and tribulations of getting the cd's 'mastered' I have to say I was fully unaware of that task. But he was on my doorstep with his "pre-mastered cd" and "mastered cd's" wanting to listen on my stereo player of the time (junkbox) because his stereo was too good [cursing] and didn't show the music the way the poor people of Paris heard it...eg, me and my rubbish stereo! So one of the jobs of the Mastering engineer was to make sure the recording fitted in with other songs, for example on the radio - not too soft, not too loud, not distorted and no wrinkles that make car speaker rattle etc.....

So speaking of radio, "Tribe' should be on the radio soon enough!

BluesKing777.

Thanks, guys!!

No, BK, this ain't for the impatient...but I've enjoyed everything about this, including the pace. It's added to the dimension of the thing, somehow.

Kelly: I'm using both my J-45 and J-100xtra on these tracks, in various combinations. Both have Anthem p/us, so usually, the guitar was recorded through it and one external mic. (Two external mics tended to make things muddier, given that we had the p/u dial rolled almost all the way toward the "mic" and away from the "piezo" element.)

The plan is to release via CD Baby, where it will be distributed to all your streaming outlets, with physical copies being available at the CDBaby store, as well as their partners (including Amazon).

So...I've come this far, and it's not awfully much more expensive to send it into cyberspace.

For anyone wondering, CB Baby is also acting as the publisher for purposes of collecting and paying out to me any performing and publishing royalties that get generated. (CD Baby keeps 15%, I believe it is.) Because of how collecting revenues from Spotify, Pandora, etc. are effectuated, CD Baby will register me with ASCAP or BMI, which doesn't get a cut (or if it does, it comes out of CDBaby's cut) and, most importantly, doesn't have any use rights in the game

Learning curve, still on the rise...

Album art/design is presently eating my lunch. [unsure]

Excellent Anne, found it real good and professional.

I agree with Lars btw, Tribe is really good and your voice suits it perfectly, very nice tune.

This is the kind of experience you remember all the rest of your life, i wish i had the patience and your talent. [thumbup]

Anne, this is tremendous stuff...I particularly love Tribe, Come See (very powerful and pertinent to our troubled times) and The Company I Keep, but it's all fantastic stuff.

Isn't the process of making a record a beautiful thing? So many highs and lows, so much work and reward. I've been banging 'em out for the last 15yrs, I've just finished the artwork and the master of my tenth record and I still feel exactly the same as when I made my first...proud, elated and a liiiiiittle bit nervous!

Enjoy the ride, it's a beautiful thing-I'll be buying a copy when it comes out!

Archived