Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Classic or SG

Sean1972

I cannot decide between the two. I am a new guitar player and have a DSL40c amp. I like the weight and feel of the SG. I like the look and style of the LP. Love G&R, Crue, all that era and blues. Same pick ups....how much tone difference will there really be? Is one more versatile then the other? [confused]

I would encourage you to go to a guitar store and try something out. For what it's worth, I prefer the SGs to the Les Pauls due to better neck access and lighter weight.

I have played both but being new, I know I can grow into either one. But what about tone? How much difference do you really think there is?

I have played both but being new, I know I can grow into either one. But what about tone? How much difference do you really think there is?

In my experience, and I own several of both models, SG's tend to be slightly more "mid-range" prone

(not a bad thing, actually), whereas the LP's tend to have a slightly more pronounced "bass" response,

mostly due to the thicker and heavier body. BOTH can be compensated for, for the most part, by amp

EQ adjustments. I (truly) Love Both, but have to admit I tend to favor the SG's, for not only tone,

but weight, and Upper Fret Access!

So, depending on the type of music you favor, one MIGHT(?) be preferable, over the other. But, they're

Both GREAT guitars. It's a bit like asking which is better, LP, SG, ES-335, etc. They can all sound

similar, with the right settings, and ALL have their champions, and will all do the job, nicely.

So, get the one you seem to prefer the most, now...and the other one, somewhere down the road. '

Good Luck, on your decision! [biggrin]

CB

My first two guitars were Les Pauls (2002 Les Paul Faded Special w/490R & 498T and a 2003 Les Paul Classic w/496R & 500T pickups). Later, I bought an SG Supreme ('57 Classics) and a ''67 SG Special Reissue w/P-90s (GOW). While I have liked all of them, I find the tone thicker with the Les Pauls, but I find the upper fret access on the SGs much easier to reach. For me, it was a toss up, both being great in their own way. However, after years of chronic back problems, I just had back surgery and will need surgery on my right shoulder as soon as I am physically able to handle it. At that time, I will find out how much more, if at all, I love my SGs just because of the lower weight. But you can't go wrong either way.

I have always been a champion of the SG. It's my favorite guitar of all-time—in looks, feel, playability and sound. Of course, different models sport different feels and sounds. So, my comment was general in nature.

But as someone else already suggested... you should check out a model or two of each in-person.

Good luck!

Check out this live video of the Allman Brothers.... Duane on a Les Paul and Dicky on an SG.

You can hear that both guitars share a similar tone at times—when they're both playing their dual leads... but then, you can hear the differences between the two during their separate solos.

Hope this is more of a help than a hinderance. [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUvxRjYqjEQ

As usual.....excellent, detailed posts from folks that really know.....[thumbup]

Guitar choice can be whimsical and change from day to day

Amp choice and settings are influential too

Purely personal.....having played many LP's but never owned one

The LP Junior is an easy handling tone machine with many aficionados....[thumbup]

Many guitarists would budget to purchase one of each.....:blink:

Bearing in mind how good the Epi LP's and SG's are.....

V

:-({|=

Hi Sean, and welcome to the forum. All the advice that you have already been given is good and as you've already mentioned, as your new to this you will inevitably grow into whichever guitar you buy.

To me the biggest difference between an SG and a Les Paul is the weight and the upper fret access and the SG wins hands down on both of those areas, but having said that you might be thinking that I play SG's but no, I play Les Paul's [confused]

There's no doubt that the best thing you can do is play as many as you can and don't rush into making a purchase, take your time, after all you may be buying something that will last you for the rest of your life.

Good luck,

Ian

They are different, I have a LP Standard and SG Standard with the same pickups (490R/498T) and they don't sound the same. But they both sound GREAT and play great.

The SG is has a more focused, darker tone, where the les paul has a bit more snap and top end bite. Is it the maple cap, the carved top, the thicker body? I honestly haven't a clue.

The big + on the SG is the weight and fret access, which if you play the LP a lot, (which is my go to axe) then pickup an SG, it takes a few minutes to acclimate when your playing up in the area of the 12th fret and above. There's just more reachable real-estate up there on an SG.

If you don't mind the weight, I think (for me ears anyway) the LP goes just in a bit of a different direction tone wise than will the SG. Not better, just something a bit different. if you think of tone in terms of color, the les paul allows you to paint with a wider brush.

If weight and upper fret access is a big factor for you the SG is going to be the one to shop out. Plan on a wide, brushed leather or suede strap to minimize/avoid neck dive. The "Seat Belt"/Nylon material kind of straps are not good choices for SGs in my experience.

I suggest, if you have the ability, that you ultimately plan one having one of each. [thumbup]

Les Paul = you can get close to an AC/DC sound on the treble pickup, tho not quite there. You can, however, get a GnR tone.

SG = vice versa.

Tone-wise, I think the LP is more versatile. Then again, SGs are shred-friendlier.

Like above posters have said tho, it's also a case of what YOU feel comfy with.

If the SG feels more "right", get the SG. If you're new to electrics, comfort is crucial.

They will sound pretty similar with the same pickups in both, but I think you can get a little mellower jazzier tone with a Les Paul than an SG. You can go to the neck pickup and roll off the tone on an SG, but I don't think it will have the depth that a LP will. But since you say you are playing Motley Crue and some blues etc, you may not be looking for that tone ever, so the SG is lighter and offers easier top fret access with the double cut-away.

With all of the hullabaloo regarding weight and access, and the fact that SG's tend to be less expensive for more guitar, you would think you would see more SG players.

Angus Young, Santana, Townsend, Clapton, Trucks and so many others get an outstanding tone from that demonic looking guitar. It's all about you, though. Someone else can play my rig and sound dark and I can pick it up and sound bright without changing a thing. My style lends to making things snappier. I play a LP for that reason. I am a yin to its yang. As has been recommended, play them and see how it works for you.

Archived