Gibson Brands Forums

Dove Standard Model?

MackTheKnife

For my money, the Dove is not only iconic but possibly Gibson's best sounding acoustic too. My 2011 is a gorgeous instrument. Why they'd discontinue it I have no idea! Possibly just a blip in production.

Gibson will build Doves other than the "In Flight" model when requested by a dealer. The Dove Quilt I had was replaced at the store by a natural top, red-backed standard at the request of the dealer. I don't think standard models are in production but they can be had.

No rhyme or reason to a lot of what Gibson does, but the Standard Doves are available if you look at places like Reverb and GC's "used" inventory. Mine is a 2009 (if I remember correctly) and is an absolute monster. Beautiful guitar and as far as volume and tone are concerned, it's likely the most resonating guitar I've owned. If you're interested in one and can find one, take a good look at it. Sweet instruments.

EuroAussie, you're right about them not selling particularly well, mine was NOS, bought at the start of '16 but was built in 2011. The upside of it sitting out in the shop for five years is that the top has turned a beautiful butterscotch colour already...stunning looking thing!

I'd recommend a Dove to anyone. Super articulate for fingerpicking but a GREAT strummer and flatpicker too. I've just cut an album of American roots stuff and the Dove was great for flatpicked Bluegrass stuff like White Freightliner Blues, great note separation and lovely distinct tone all through the spectrum.

Archived