Gibson Brands Forums

DOD is dead! (FX90 Delay)

Hawkesman

Was just given one of these, so I took it apart to see what's in it and it has an MN3005, so I figured it was worth a try. However it is passing no signal (with effect either on or off). I looked for obvious faults, like disconnected wires from the in/out jack sockets, but all seems OK there. Not much to go on, I know, but any suggestions? Thanks.

The most common thing to break with DOD is the footswitch. Since the battery door is usually missing, it's not unusual for a wire from the battery clip to break.

Usually if the footswitch is broken, it will still pass signal, but the switch won't work. Are you getting the LED lighting up? What are you powering it with?

Maybe posting a photo could help like it did with the DM-2. Even if you don't get it working you could probably build another delay with the MN3005 which is pretty cool. I got a broken DOD pedal just for the MN3005 before

Hi Dub. Thanks for chiming in. I hoped you would!

I have the battery door, although the plastic retaining clip has broken off. A bit of tape will sort that though!

I'm powering it with a 9V battery, and the LED lights up OK.

I'll post some pics tomorrow (it's 2am here!), but unlike last time there's nothing obviously missing.

H.

It's now working! I noticed a very slight crackle through the speaker as I plugged into the input side of the pedal, so obviously something was getting through. So I cleaned the jack sockets which helped a lot, but contact was still a bit intermittent. I took both sockets out and looked inside and found that in both of them the +ive contact was bent and mangled. So, I straightened them out (which was bloody fiddly to do), and cleaned the pots while I was at it (they were all a bit scratchy), and now it works perfectly. The case was absolutely covered in dirt and grime too, so I cleaned it and it came up a treat. It only came with one knob, so I raided my parts box for some old HH amp ones and they fitted fine, and have grey tops just like the originals.

Sounds a lot like my DM-2, but I guess that the MN3005 has a lot to do with that.

Cheers,

H.

Archived