Gibson Brands Forums

Collectors Choice #47 NOT a Les Paul

Rabs

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Collectors-Choice-47-1964-Firebird.aspx

$5,999 (for a firebird :o )

Gibson Custom's Collectors Choice #47 takes the range into new territory by paying homage to one of the unconventional designs of Gibson's past. Crafted to exceptional levels of precision based on hands-on study and laser scanning of original serial # 235304, this Collector's Choice edition delivers the authentic experience of owning an extremely rare "reverse-body" Firebird with an extremely desirable feature set, and all of the utterly individual tone that this groundbreaking model embodies.

Construction: Traditional Firebird nine-ply neck-through-body with mahogany wings

Finish: Thin wet-sanded nitrocellulose lacquer

Pickups: Custom-wound Firebird pickups

Fingerboard Binding: Rolled binding for a smooth playing feel

Hand Aged: Gently worn, lightly played, just like the original

Color: Rare Cherry finish

Bridge: Maestro Vibrola tailpiece

Tuners: Firebird "banjo" tuners

HSF3C_zpsl7nnxhih.jpg

You can get an actual 1965 for $10k

I find it interesting that it says thin nitro wet sanded. That's what I'm doing to my 58 reissue Les Paul since I always thought the lacquer was too thick on the back and it is working great. Just got more sandpaper I ordered.

Yup. Pretty silly money IMO but it's GORGEOUS in that cherry-red finish! Wow!!!

I've never been a fan of the Sunburst used on F'birds (sorry, folks!) but that one really does appeal. Shame about all the damage, though...

I'm not really au fait with Reverse Firebird IIIs: are they still available new?.................eusa_think.gif

I might have a wee google...

Pip.

I'm not sure, but I would have guessed that was quite a bit lower price than many of the CC series.

Yes; but it's not a recreation of a "1959 Standard in a tasteful 'burst"......which makes the WORLD of a difference.................

laugh.gif

Pip.

It's good to see interest revived from time to time regarding the Firebird....

An iconic piece of feral design from Gibson

IMO a shape that will always be interesting and totally original

The 'slightly aged' thinking is laughable.....be bold and make it look like new....

Love the banjo tuners....[thumbup]

If folks are prepared to pay the premium....good luck to them

Personal favourite finish is Tobacco Sunburst....[thumbup]

Always think of The Stones and Johnny Winter at times like this.....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Oh....and Roxy Music.....dry.gif

I agree its a looker with that finish. Now I do like the regular burst, but I like this much better.

If it didnt have those dots, it would be nigh perfect.

PMT are currently offering new Firebird V's (crown inlays) for £1,115. Add £350 for a re-fin in Cherry lacquer and, for £1,465, you're sorted!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pickup surrounds. [thumbdn] [thumbdn]

I don't follow your apparent disapproval, jdgm............eusa_think.gif...........surely reverse Firebirds NEED p'up surrounds?....

Pip.

I don't follow your apparent disapproval, jdgm............eusa_think.gif...........surely reverse Firebirds NEED p'up surrounds?....

Pip.

Yes yes...but not chrome. Call me a Luddite. [biggrin]....

Archived