Gibson Guitar Board: As a response to all the "Gibson Bashing" going on - Gibson Guitar Board

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

As a response to all the "Gibson Bashing" going on

#41 User is offline   kelly campbell 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

View Post62burst, on 18 March 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

A fine selection, Dotneck, but I wanted the script logo on my shot glasses

[biggrin]

It may be a fine selecti.on to you but when you look at other brands it pales in comparison. Hey the misc items may not be your thing I get that but not everyone is exactly like you

#42 User is offline   drathbun 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

I am adverse to brand fanaticism and intolerance. I've been a guitar player and owner for 46 years and have owned many brands, some clunkers and many stellar instruments. After I retired from my teaching career, I worked at a musical instrument store selling guitars. It really bothers me to see people blindly following one brand over another. I will give praise where it is due and find fault where it is deserved.

I balance my love for Gibson acoustics with a dismay at some of the corporation's behaviours and practices. I've owned four Gibson acoustics in my life; two great, one horrible and one absolutely stellar instrument. I think Bozeman is making some of the best acoustic instruments on the planet.

It took me decades to find a Martin that didn't leave me indifferent. I played a 1972 D-18 at the 12th Fret in Toronto about 10 years ago that made my jaw drop. I should have bought it. Three years ago I purchased my first Martin (000-17sm); amazing workmanship and amazing sound and playability for a very affordable price. I've sold it to buy a new 000-28vs.

My complaints about Martin as a company stem from their "owners club" practices. Where Gibson throws "swag" into the case pocket (strings, pick, key fob, sticker etc), Martin charges $45 US (plus $23 US shipping to Canada, plus customs charges) for a key, membership card, polish and cloth, lanyard, water bottle, can koosie and magazine subscription.

I couldn't care less for the swag and fan gear. Some Martin guitars make my tummy tingle; others leave me cold. Some Gibson guitars are just "okay" in my opinion, many others give me GAS. The Martin guitar company is a huge acoustic-building machine that can seem impersonal. But if you call them on the phone, you always get a real, polite, helpful person. Gibson corporate can make really stupid decisions like forcing Les Paul buyers to accept robo-tuners as a non-reversible upgrade.

Taylor makes some fine acoustic instruments and the company is doing some excellent work in wood sustainability. Of course, there are Taylor bashers out there as there are haters of Gibson and Martin. My point is there is no need to hate other guitar makers just because you LOVE YOUR GIBSON. I love my Gibson too, but that doesn't restrict me from appreciating and actually owning other fine instruments. Conversely, there are some clunkers out there. My '77 Hummingbird was a total POS. That didn't stop me from loving my 2012 J200 Golden Age - the finest guitar I think I'll ever own.
Doug

Posted Image

2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret
2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2009 Taylor GA3-12e
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page

My YouTube Channel

#43 User is offline   Allie 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

View Postfortyearspickn, on 18 March 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

Allie, inspite of (or maybe because of) your caution regarding responses) I have 3 comments: an observation, an opinion, and a statement of my experience.
1. Martin's product failed for no reason, under warranty and they chose not to honor the warranty. While Gibson's was willing to work with you for a guitar that was not under warranty.
2. Gibson's truss rod issue was probably not one which would be considered by most to be so serious as to require they issue a 'recall'.
3. I have had 5 Gibsons in my lifetime. I've not had problems with any.

Thanks...I'm happy for you. Enjoy those Gibson's, even though I have this problem with mine it's still my go to guitar.

#44 User is offline   Allie 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

View Postsbpark, on 18 March 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

Are we still talking about guitars here?
I am...or more to the point Truss rods IN the guitars...I'm not sure if you are or not...lol

#45 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

View PostBigKahune, on 18 March 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

RE: Gibson bashing - I personally can't recall bashing Gibson guitars, acoustic or electric. Reasonable complaints, YES . . . the sneaky rollout of layered fretboards and bridges during the Lacey Raid period. I think even JC would find that a problem. There were a few members that unknowing ended up with these guitars. Some were okay with it, some weren't. I didn't like it, even though I never acquired one. Also, occasionally over the years, QC issues appeared - particularly after Gibson increased production at the Nashville factory. Then there's the recent threads on Gibson's dealer stocking requirements. I don't like the fact that in response to these stocking requirements many small dealers have dropped Gibson and continue to do so. I can see this is only going to get worse because of the way the business model is changing, but for now I'll be complaining that in order to see certain models in person I've got to drive at least an hour. Okay, this one might be a somewhat unreasonable complaint, but I don't like.

RE: Gibson apparel and collectibles availability - I think there's enough out there, though it seems in times gone by there was a wider range of items available.

RE: Gibson standing behind the products they make - Gibson provides a good warranty which is famously limited to, among other things, the original owner. IMO expecting ANY company to warranty their products to second, third, etc, owners is unreasonable. If you want a warranty, buy a new Gibson from an authorized dealer.

.I may

I may have a layered rosewood fretboard on my 2012 Les Paul 12 String. It bugs me a bit, but it is what it is and that was a very limited run anyway, I am glad to have it.

#46 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

View PostMafy31, on 18 March 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

Was it the vintage version of it with terrified print?

Yes it is also made of Nylon 6/6.

#47 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

View PostDotneck, on 18 March 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have the sweatshirt, it is very nice and kind of pricy, I got it for my troubles with Gibson Pickups. Yes their customer service is pretty good, had an SG 12 String that had lots of minor fit and finish problems, called and got a replacement in a timely manner.

#48 User is offline   Mojorule 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationJust a-ramblin' round...

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

View Post62burst, on 18 March 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

A fine selection, Dotneck, but I wanted the script logo on my shot glasses

[biggrin]

They double up as slides, though: and surely you'd rather rub the block logo off than the sacred script when doing your best Robert Johnson?

#49 User is offline   62burst 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PostMojorule, on 18 March 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

They double up as slides, though: and surely you'd rather rub the block logo off than the sacred script when doing your best Robert Johnson?

Absolutely. I guess I can relic them myself.

And Kelly: I actually do like the glasses and bar pad. (282 days 'til Christmas, just saying) [mellow]

#50 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

View Postkelly campbell, on 18 March 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

I think they should include a gift card with the purchase of the acoustics that is good for a shirt or whatever and help promote their brand. I also think that if you look at the differences between marketing of Martin, Taylor and Gibson I think Gibson lacks the passion and understanding of what their customers really want. and not just the professionals. I think they are heading the right direction with some lower price range models. Why is this? maybe due to non-family owned business' often do lack. There must be something to the offering of misc. items otherwise the other company's would not be into them so heavily and if they can profit more from such items does that not help them and help keep rising prices for guitars to a slow pace? Hey to each his own I am just making an observation of the differences in the acoustic lines of these company's.

I mean you actually get a free keychain and a set of Gibson branded strings when you buy one brand new. What else do you want? Am I missing something here? I've only purchased one new Martin in the last couple years and I didnt' even get that. Just some dumb "Care and Feeding of Your New Guitar" pamphlet and the endpin in a paper envelope. Never bought a Tayor, but maybe they give away a bunch a free crap with their guitars? Maybe look into those, but to be honest, aside from a Fender 52AVRI that came with a crappy cable, cheap strap, ashtray cover, 6-saddle bridge (in addition to the vintage style 3-saddle bridge that came on the guitar), parts to bring it to modern wiring specs (comes wired with vintage specs), and some stickers, I really don't know of any guitar company that comes with a gift certificate for free crap that most people wouldn't care about.

#51 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

Allie, on 18 March 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Just trying to keep the thread on track friend....if you want to derail it, have at it.

If you post on a thread and have that much of an issue with response control, it's your issue. Just be fully clear about your expectations and we'll try to oblige. Your idea of derailing a thread should, of course, set the standard by which we strive to abide.

#52 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

Allie, on 18 March 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

I am...or more to the point Truss rods IN the guitars...I'm not sure if you are or not...lol

We must all strive, above all else, to make sure that you are sure. We live to serve and exist only to be further instructed.

#53 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

I don't mind being a walking Gibson billboard from time to time. I tend to wear this jacket to concerts:

Posted Image

And I love my six Gibsons (and my Martins. and the others).

#54 User is offline   Mojorule 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationJust a-ramblin' round...

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

[quote name='sbpark' timestamp='1489870852' post='1842578']
I mean you actually get a free keychain and a set of Gibson branded strings when you buy one brand new. What else do you want? Am I missing something here?[quote]

Didn't even get those with my SJ. Or the 'This Machine Kills Fascists' card which came with the early Woody Guthrie models. :-({|=

#55 User is offline   Mr. Gibson 

• Work while you still can
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️'S

#56 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

j45nick, on 18 March 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

I don't mind being a walking Gibson billboard from time to time. I tend to wear this jacket to concerts:

Posted Image

And I love my six Gibsons (and my Martins. and the others).

That is a fine looking jacket, Nick! Love my guitars, too. Repairs, scars, blemishes, quirks, and the occasional relatively pristine example - all are very special, each in its own endearing way!

#57 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Mr. Gibson, on 18 March 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️'S

Oh, wow.... Now I'm trippin' 😱

#58 User is offline   aliasphobias 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

OldCowboy, on 18 March 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

That is a fine looking jacket, Nick! Love my guitars, too. Repairs, scars, blemishes, quirks, and the occasional relatively pristine example - all are very special, each in its own endearing way!

I think it's time we see one O.C. What do you say?

#59 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

View PostOldCowboy, on 18 March 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

It's a nice jacket. I bought it a few years ago on fleabay from a country singer named Billy Yates out in California for about $75. The front isn't as impressive as the back, but it has a nice logo. Looks pretty good when you're between two great chick musicians...

Posted Image

#60 User is offline   MissouriPicker 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndependence, Missouri

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

I really don't recall much of anything lately that I'd call "Gibson bashing." A spot of glue, being pissed at customer service isn't really bashing someone/something. When I think of "Gibson bashing" I kind of always drift back to Ed Roman (I think that was his name) who owned a guitar store in Las Vegas (again....I think). He was a Gibson basher. Nothing I've read on this forum is even on the same planet. He was reknowned for his "Gibson bashing." And, I don't know if there was ever a Taylor he didn't like...lol..His store website was little more than an all-out assault on Gibsons.............I like Gibsons, like some Martins, and very few Taylors (nothing to do with quality....just not a good fit for me). All three make great instruments. Not perfect instruments. Great instruments. There are people who will complain when they get into Heaven. The streets of gold are too shiny. The angels are too smart. God is too powerful....Just play your guitars.
YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.c...er?feature=mhee
http://www.reverbnat...om/larrygarrett

Gibsons J45TV, J15, Hummingbird, Dove, Southern Jumbo Mystic, Advanced Jumbo Rosewood
Advanced Jumbo Koa, J100 Walnut
Alvarez MFA66CE Masterworks OM/Folk
Martin X Series 2016 D12X1AE Dreadnought 12-String
Regal 1944 Parlor Guitar
LAG Nylon Stringed
Oahu 1941 Squareneck Parlor Guitar
Yamaha YPG-535MM Keyboard
and a herd of ukes, banjos, strumsticks, harmonicas and dulcimers,
making me a "jack of all trades and master of none."

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +