Gibson Brands Forums

As a response to all the "Gibson Bashing" going on

JuanCarlosVejar

Yeah I actually prefer it if guitar companies doesn't sell a lot of side crap with their name on it. I love Gibson guitars but I would never buy a Gibson T Shirt. That's too much like when middle aged guys buy a Harley and then everything they own has to have a Harley logo on it. Besides, I don't know if the guy you responded to has looked lately, but there is crap with "Gibson" on it everywhere now.

Gibson sent me a T-shirt for my troubles and it was a bit defective, the print was all torn and peeling. I was told they are made this way, a reliced T-shirt, who knew?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gibson sent me a T-shirt for my troubles and it was a bit defective, the print was all torn and peeling. I was told they are made this way, a reliced T-shirt, who knew?

Ha! Good one, Pete. Enjoyed it.

RE: Gibson bashing - I personally can't recall bashing Gibson guitars, acoustic or electric. Reasonable complaints, YES . . . the sneaky rollout of layered fretboards and bridges during the Lacey Raid period. I think even JC would find that a problem. There were a few members that unknowing ended up with these guitars. Some were okay with it, some weren't. I didn't like it, even though I never acquired one. Also, occasionally over the years, QC issues appeared - particularly after Gibson increased production at the Nashville factory. Then there's the recent threads on Gibson's dealer stocking requirements. I don't like the fact that in response to these stocking requirements many small dealers have dropped Gibson and continue to do so. I can see this is only going to get worse because of the way the business model is changing, but for now I'll be complaining that in order to see certain models in person I've got to drive at least an hour. Okay, this one might be a somewhat unreasonable complaint, but I don't like.

RE: Gibson apparel and collectibles availability - I think there's enough out there, though it seems in times gone by there was a wider range of items available.

RE: Gibson standing behind the products they make - Gibson provides a good warranty which is famously limited to, among other things, the original owner. IMO expecting ANY company to warranty their products to second, third, etc, owners is unreasonable. If you want a warranty, buy a new Gibson from an authorized dealer.

I guess I did not make my point well enough in my original post, I love the guitars and that is what they are in business for I agree. If I had to pick out any complaints it would be the lack of not offering more in the way of collectibles etc, that does turn me off obviously. The lack of attention to emails and questions asked I think can hurt them if they are not careful. Still they are my favorite guitar and I agree that it is no biggie but tried to say that I have no complaints with the instruments themselves. Sometimes I just think they may forget what pays the bills, the customers.

I guess we can agree to disagree, and my experience with Gibson customer service on the two occasions I had reached out to them was nothing short of exceptional, with quick responses and prompt service. My first example involved a SG Standard I bought brand new. The guitar had a cracked pickup surround and tenon cover. I reached out to Gibson customer service explaining the issue, attached a couple pictures and a copy of proof of purchase. In less than a week I received a new pickup surround and tenon cover in the mail, free of charge, no questions asked. Fast forward to a brand new 2017 J45 I bought where the flubber pickguard was peeling off. I followed the same procedure as I did with the SG, and low and behold shortly after I received a brand new pickguard in the mail, free of charge, no questions asked. Now, I would have preferred a non-flubber guard sent, but hey, I can't complain, and really what more can you want? In both cases they acknowledged my concern and did what they thought was the best way to remedy the situation and did in a timely manner. I'd rather they focus their attention more on customer service issues like this than putting their time toward manufacturing and marketing a bunch of useless stuff like apparel, etc. I already gave them a bunch of money for their guitars. I have zero desire to pay them even more money to be a walking advertisement. It should be the other way around. If they want people to rep their goods they should be paying them to do so. Oh wait, they already do that with artist endorsements, etc. I figue if you really want them to provide you with t-shirts, key chains, and a beer cozy maybe contact them regarding an artist endorsement.

Was it the vintage version of it with terrified print?

I guess we can agree to disagree, and my experience with Gibson customer service on the two occasions I had reached out to them was nothing short of exceptional, with quick responses and prompt service.

Same here. Anyway I have yet to see a company with 100% satisfied customers. It has been proved that the very few % of unhappy customers post 99% of the feedbacks.

I'm probably naive but there's so many professional guitarists using Gibsons, even recent models, there's prolly a reason for it other than sponsorship.

I guess we can agree to disagree, and my experience with Gibson customer service on the two occasions I had reached out to them was nothing short of exceptional, with quick responses and prompt service. My first example involved a SG Standard I bought brand new. The guitar had a cracked pickup surround and tenon cover. I reached out to Gibson customer service explaining the issue, attached a couple pictures and a copy of proof of purchase. In less than a week I received a new pickup surround and tenon cover in the mail, free of charge, no questions asked. Fast forward to a brand new 2017 J45 I bought where the flubber pickguard was peeling off. I followed the same procedure as I did with the SG, and low and behold shortly after I received a brand new pickguard in the mail, free of charge, no questions asked. Now, I would have preferred a non-flubber guard sent, but hey, I can't complain, and really what more can you want? In both cases they acknowledged my concern and did what they thought was the best way to remedy the situation and did in a timely manner. I'd rather they focus their attention more on customer service issues like this than putting their time toward manufacturing and marketing a bunch of useless stuff like apparel, etc. I already gave them a bunch of money for their guitars. I have zero desire to pay them even more money to be a walking advertisement. It should be the other way around. If they want people to rep their goods they should be paying them to do so. Oh wait, they already do that with artist endorsements, etc. I figue if you really want them to provide you with t-shirts, key chains, and a beer cozy maybe contact them regarding an artist endorsement.

I think they should include a gift card with the purchase of the acoustics that is good for a shirt or whatever and help promote their brand. I also think that if you look at the differences between marketing of Martin, Taylor and Gibson I think Gibson lacks the passion and understanding of what their customers really want. and not just the professionals. I think they are heading the right direction with some lower price range models. Why is this? maybe due to non-family owned business' often do lack. There must be something to the offering of misc. items otherwise the other company's would not be into them so heavily and if they can profit more from such items does that not help them and help keep rising prices for guitars to a slow pace? Hey to each his own I am just making an observation of the differences in the acoustic lines of these company's.

I have 4 new Gibson acoustics, I like a very straight neck so I crank up the truss rods regularly. I never thought they were anything but standard truss rods. What more do you know about the current truss rods?

the older two rods like in mine are the bigger rods....its my understanding that they changed them due to the problems they created, they nolonger have this problem.

The lack of attention to emails and questions asked I think can hurt them if they are not careful. Still they are my favorite guitar and I agree that it is no biggie but tried to say that I have no complaints with the instruments themselves. Sometimes I just think they may forget what pays the bills, the customers.

Actually the dealers pay their bills. There are lots of manufacturers that don't want to have to deal with end-users. That's the dealers job.

There must be something to the offering of misc. items otherwise the other company's would not be into them so heavily and if they can profit more from such items does that not help them and help keep rising prices for guitars to a slow pace? Hey to each his own I am just making an observation of the differences in the acoustic lines of these company's.

GA-BLTKxx__91998.1315426317.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GA-BLVTxx__87193.1315426318.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GA-BLKTxx__48386.1315426317.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GA-BLMHOODxx__38395.1315426317.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GA-BLKC__76435.1315426318.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GA-24STOOL__31967.1315426318.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

APRGG50xx-Open__46187.1315426328.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GS-LGSHOT__48979.1315426318.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

A fine selection, Dotneck, but I wanted the script logo on my shot glasses

[biggrin]

It may be a fine selecti.on to you but when you look at other brands it pales in comparison. Hey the misc items may not be your thing I get that but not everyone is exactly like you

I am adverse to brand fanaticism and intolerance. I've been a guitar player and owner for 46 years and have owned many brands, some clunkers and many stellar instruments. After I retired from my teaching career, I worked at a musical instrument store selling guitars. It really bothers me to see people blindly following one brand over another. I will give praise where it is due and find fault where it is deserved.

I balance my love for Gibson acoustics with a dismay at some of the corporation's behaviours and practices. I've owned four Gibson acoustics in my life; two great, one horrible and one absolutely stellar instrument. I think Bozeman is making some of the best acoustic instruments on the planet.

It took me decades to find a Martin that didn't leave me indifferent. I played a 1972 D-18 at the 12th Fret in Toronto about 10 years ago that made my jaw drop. I should have bought it. Three years ago I purchased my first Martin (000-17sm); amazing workmanship and amazing sound and playability for a very affordable price. I've sold it to buy a new 000-28vs.

My complaints about Martin as a company stem from their "owners club" practices. Where Gibson throws "swag" into the case pocket (strings, pick, key fob, sticker etc), Martin charges $45 US (plus $23 US shipping to Canada, plus customs charges) for a key, membership card, polish and cloth, lanyard, water bottle, can koosie and magazine subscription.

I couldn't care less for the swag and fan gear. Some Martin guitars make my tummy tingle; others leave me cold. Some Gibson guitars are just "okay" in my opinion, many others give me GAS. The Martin guitar company is a huge acoustic-building machine that can seem impersonal. But if you call them on the phone, you always get a real, polite, helpful person. Gibson corporate can make really stupid decisions like forcing Les Paul buyers to accept robo-tuners as a non-reversible upgrade.

Taylor makes some fine acoustic instruments and the company is doing some excellent work in wood sustainability. Of course, there are Taylor bashers out there as there are haters of Gibson and Martin. My point is there is no need to hate other guitar makers just because you LOVE YOUR GIBSON. I love my Gibson too, but that doesn't restrict me from appreciating and actually owning other fine instruments. Conversely, there are some clunkers out there. My '77 Hummingbird was a total POS. That didn't stop me from loving my 2012 J200 Golden Age - the finest guitar I think I'll ever own.

Allie, inspite of (or maybe because of) your caution regarding responses) I have 3 comments: an observation, an opinion, and a statement of my experience.

1. Martin's product failed for no reason, under warranty and they chose not to honor the warranty. While Gibson's was willing to work with you for a guitar that was not under warranty.

2. Gibson's truss rod issue was probably not one which would be considered by most to be so serious as to require they issue a 'recall'.

3. I have had 5 Gibsons in my lifetime. I've not had problems with any.

Thanks...I'm happy for you. Enjoy those Gibson's, even though I have this problem with mine it's still my go to guitar.

RE: Gibson bashing - I personally can't recall bashing Gibson guitars, acoustic or electric. Reasonable complaints, YES . . . the sneaky rollout of layered fretboards and bridges during the Lacey Raid period. I think even JC would find that a problem. There were a few members that unknowing ended up with these guitars. Some were okay with it, some weren't. I didn't like it, even though I never acquired one. Also, occasionally over the years, QC issues appeared - particularly after Gibson increased production at the Nashville factory. Then there's the recent threads on Gibson's dealer stocking requirements. I don't like the fact that in response to these stocking requirements many small dealers have dropped Gibson and continue to do so. I can see this is only going to get worse because of the way the business model is changing, but for now I'll be complaining that in order to see certain models in person I've got to drive at least an hour. Okay, this one might be a somewhat unreasonable complaint, but I don't like.

RE: Gibson apparel and collectibles availability - I think there's enough out there, though it seems in times gone by there was a wider range of items available.

RE: Gibson standing behind the products they make - Gibson provides a good warranty which is famously limited to, among other things, the original owner. IMO expecting ANY company to warranty their products to second, third, etc, owners is unreasonable. If you want a warranty, buy a new Gibson from an authorized dealer.

.I may

I may have a layered rosewood fretboard on my 2012 Les Paul 12 String. It bugs me a bit, but it is what it is and that was a very limited run anyway, I am glad to have it.

GA-BLTKxx__91998.1315426317.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GA-BLVTxx__87193.1315426318.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GA-BLKTxx__48386.1315426317.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GA-BLMHOODxx__38395.1315426317.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GA-BLKC__76435.1315426318.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GA-24STOOL__31967.1315426318.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

APRGG50xx-Open__46187.1315426328.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

GS-LGSHOT__48979.1315426318.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I have the sweatshirt, it is very nice and kind of pricy, I got it for my troubles with Gibson Pickups. Yes their customer service is pretty good, had an SG 12 String that had lots of minor fit and finish problems, called and got a replacement in a timely manner.

A fine selection, Dotneck, but I wanted the script logo on my shot glasses

[biggrin]

They double up as slides, though: and surely you'd rather rub the block logo off than the sacred script when doing your best Robert Johnson?

They double up as slides, though: and surely you'd rather rub the block logo off than the sacred script when doing your best Robert Johnson?

Absolutely. I guess I can relic them myself.

And Kelly: I actually do like the glasses and bar pad. (282 days 'til Christmas, just saying) [mellow]

I think they should include a gift card with the purchase of the acoustics that is good for a shirt or whatever and help promote their brand. I also think that if you look at the differences between marketing of Martin, Taylor and Gibson I think Gibson lacks the passion and understanding of what their customers really want. and not just the professionals. I think they are heading the right direction with some lower price range models. Why is this? maybe due to non-family owned business' often do lack. There must be something to the offering of misc. items otherwise the other company's would not be into them so heavily and if they can profit more from such items does that not help them and help keep rising prices for guitars to a slow pace? Hey to each his own I am just making an observation of the differences in the acoustic lines of these company's.

I mean you actually get a free keychain and a set of Gibson branded strings when you buy one brand new. What else do you want? Am I missing something here? I've only purchased one new Martin in the last couple years and I didnt' even get that. Just some dumb "Care and Feeding of Your New Guitar" pamphlet and the endpin in a paper envelope. Never bought a Tayor, but maybe they give away a bunch a free crap with their guitars? Maybe look into those, but to be honest, aside from a Fender 52AVRI that came with a crappy cable, cheap strap, ashtray cover, 6-saddle bridge (in addition to the vintage style 3-saddle bridge that came on the guitar), parts to bring it to modern wiring specs (comes wired with vintage specs), and some stickers, I really don't know of any guitar company that comes with a gift certificate for free crap that most people wouldn't care about.

Archived