Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Standard Body thickness variation

DIRESTRATS

Just looking at my 2017 J45 internal construction and I noticed the Kerfing depth on the treble side is larger than the bass side of the body ( under your arm when you play).

When I measured the body thickness on both sides at equal points, I noticed the bass side is 5mm thinner than the treble side which explains why the kerfing is of different depth ( by about 4-5mm).

It appears that after the kerfing is attached, the body sides had been re-sanded so the bass side of the body is thinner prior to installation of the back ?

At each end block, the kerfing of equal depth which makes sense.

Has anyone noticed this as well ?...is this an intentional part of the production process as I have not experienced this with my other acoustic ?

Just looking at my 2017 J45 internal construction and I noticed the Kerfing depth on the treble side is larger than the bass side of the body ( under your arm when you play).

When I measured the body thickness on both sides at equal points, I noticed the bass side is 5mm thinner than the treble side which explains why the kerfing is of different depth ( by about 4-5mm).

It appears that after the kerfing is attached, the body sides had been re-sanded so the bass side of the body is thinner prior to installation of the back ?

At each end block, the kerfing of equal depth which makes sense.

Has anyone noticed this as well ?...is this an intentional part of the production process as I have not experienced this with my other acoustic ?

Interesting and I do not know the intent of the production process regarding the body thickness? Have to do with top radius? I have a 2017 J 45 as well and will, out of curiosity, take measurements as you did and update. Regardless, just cant get enough of this guitar.

Thanks...I would be interested to know.

At the lower bout, the treble side kerfing is twice as high as the bass side kerfing....I have never seen this before.

So, just checked measurements on the outside lower bouts, and both sided coming in around 11.8 cm. Tried but could not get a very good look under the hood at the kerfing to compare. I found a few glue drips.....but no worries with that.....its under the hood. Its how she runs that matters....

Have you put a strait-edge across the top, just behind the bridge? My top has about 1.5 mm drop from center to the edges which is intentional. If I understand your situation correctly, when you do this measurement, you will have a significant drop-off on the bass side from center to the bass edge....if that makes sense.

How does it play/sound? Are you original owner? You might be able to get specs and if your guitar is way out, make a claim to replace?? Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in on this one.

If yours are equal, then maybe the reason might be the router slots for the bracing was incorrect and they decided to re sand the bass side of the body to be able to re-do the slots. That would explain the 4mm difference...only speculation though.

I suppose I am now concerned that the back is glued to a non flat surface and maybe required additional clamping pressure which to get it down, combined with only half the glue area of the kerfing...mmmm interesting.

The drop off looks equal at the top , its the back which is a different which is why the kerfing is different.

Archived