Gibson Brands Forums

Are the lower priced Gibson acoustics noticbly better than an Epiphone Masterbilt?

Allenjason95

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's a serious answer. Your reply was 5% compliment and 95% crap about your television viewing (no one cares) and a gratuitous reaction to an album (no one cares about that, either).

No one cares but you you mean. Or do you usually stalk people you don't care about?

Way to take the high road though, following me to another thread and trying to start more nonsense by talking crap when I complimented a guy's playing.

Allenjason95, you were referring to my cover of that NY song that I didnt post. However, I have never claimed to be a player or a vocalist. But one thing I know is that I will never become a crabby old crusty a-hole like OC and some of the others that post on here.

So... you cant sing or play. Hope you can dance or do stand-up, because your people skills rule out sales.

Anyway, are the lower priced Gibson acoustics a good value? I don't care at all about bling on an acoustic, I actually prefer just a plain Jane dreadnaught no cutaway guitar. I've been looking at some of the lower priced Gibsons but is the difference between an Epiphone Masterbilt and a Gibson worth the price difference?

I've avoided this thread like the plague because of where I has gone, but there are pretty simple answers to your fundamental questions.

"Good value" and "worth the price difference" are totally subjective questions which may have completely different answers depending on your budget and expectations.

I'm in a position, as are many people here, to be able to generally afford guitars that live up to my expectations in playability, build quality, materials, aesthetics, and tone. The Gibson name (as do a few others) also has value to me because of its connection to the musicians and the music I love. Not to mention that I've had an ongoing (but not monogamous) love affair with a single J-45 since we were both teenagers more than 50 years ago.

The lower priced Gibsons like the J-15 are still Gibsons, and from everything I've read written people whose opinions I respect, are good value by almost any measure.

But I'm not you, and can't make that call for you. Nobody can. Play them, look at them, and decide for yourself.

I have never played a modern Epiphone. From everything I've or heard from people whose opinions I respect, they represent good value for their price.

If you can't appreciate the difference between an Epiphone Masterbilt and a Gibson after playing and examining them, then the Epiphone is a rational choice for you, particularly if it fits your budget better.

I've avoided this thread like the plague because of where I has gone, but there are pretty simple answers to your fundamental questions.

"Good value" and "worth the price difference" are totally subjective questions which may have completely different answers depending on your budget and expectations.

I'm in a position, as are many people here, to be able to generally afford guitars that live up to my expectations in playability, build quality, materials, aesthetics, and tone. The Gibson name (as do a few others) also has value to me because of its connection to the musicians and the music I love. Not to mention that I've had an ongoing (but not monogamous) love affair with a single J-45 since we were both teenagers more than 50 years ago.

The lower priced Gibsons like the J-15 are still Gibsons, and from everything I've read written people whose opinions I respect, are good value by almost any measure.

But I'm not you, and can't make that call for you. Nobody can. Play them, look at them, and decide for yourself.

I have never played a modern Epiphone. From everything I've or heard from people whose opinions I respect, they represent good value for their price.

If you can't appreciate the difference between an Epiphone Masterbilt and a Gibson after playing and examining them, then the Epiphone is a rational choice for you, particularly if it fits your budget better.

So you replied to tell me you're not me. Thanks.

When somebody asks you to recommend a good restaurant or if a movie was good do you go "Look, that's subjective.....I'm not you.....I can't make that call for you......watch them all....eat at every restaurant single restaurant in the world. Only you can decide if it's a good restaurant worth the cost"?

Really.....I literally said I knew you guys would reply with "play them for yourself only you can decide" in the OP. It's trite useless advice that everyone knows. Since I said it in my OP why do you feel the need to say it again?

What's the point of telling me you're not me and you can't decide for me lol? I didn't ask you to decide.

Really, you guys kill me.

So you replied to tell me you're not me. Thanks.

When somebody asks you to recommend a good restaurant or if a movie was good do you go "Look, that's subjective.....I'm not you.....I can't make that call for you......watch them all....eat at every restaurant single restaurant in the world. Only you can decide if it's a good restaurant worth the cost"?

Really.....I literally said I knew you guys would reply with "play them for yourself only you can decide" in the OP. It's trite useless advice that everyone knows. Since I said it in my OP why do you feel the need to say it again?

What's the point of telling me you're not me and you can't decide for me lol? I didn't ask you to decide.

Really, you guys kill me.

Really, i think you should play them for yourself only you can decide. We can't decide for you, and also you didn't ask for us to decide.

Of course we could tell about the difference in price, in materials/woods, bracings, sound, finish nitro/poly, artwork pickups, hard case and other stuff like that, but maybe it doesnt matter after all.

Really, i think you should play them for yourself only you can decide. We can't decide for you, and also you didn't ask for us to decide.

Of course we could tell about the difference in price, in materials/woods, bracings, sound, finish nitro/poly, artwork pickups, hard case and other stuff like that, but maybe it doesnt matter after all.

Yeah, I'm just going to play every guitar in the world. Nobody can decide for me. It's all subjective. It might take a while but playing every guitar in the world myself is the only way.

Wish me luck guys!

Really.....I literally said I knew you guys would reply with "play them for yourself only you can decide" in the OP.

Yep, you said that. So my question is why the fukc did you make the post in the first place if you knew what the response would be?!?!?!?! Secondly, since you did go ahead and make the post, knowing full well the response, why have you reacted the way you have to the responses you knew were coming?!?!?! *****ing at everyone that gives you the answer you knew was coming?!?

Whether you like it or not, "play them yourself and make up your own mind" is the correct response.

What a dikc.

Yeah, I'm just going to play every guitar in the world. Nobody can decide for me. It's all subjective. It might take a while but playing every guitar in the world myself is the only way.

Wish me luck guys!

The fact is that many replied to you about all this stuff, they did it kindly, and even told you about great lower end Gibson models like J15 and their quality.

But you seem to not have taken this into account.

Nick is one of the most knowledgeable person on this forum when it comes to Gibsons and i think your reply was a bit unfair. I hope you can realize that he was willing to help.

Yep, you said that. So my question is why the fukc did you make the post in the first place if you knew what the response would be?!?!?!?! Secondly, since you did go ahead and make the post, knowing full well the response, why have you reacted the way you have to the responses you knew were coming?!?!?! *****ing at everyone that gives you the answer you knew was coming?!?

Whether you like it or not, "play them yourself and make up your own mind" is the correct response.

What a dikc.

I think we need to report Buc's post to the mods. I'm really worried about the state of the forum.

The fact is that many replied to you about all this stuff, they did it kindly, and even told you about great lower end Gibson models like J15 and their quality.

But you seem to not have taken this into account.

Nick is one of the most knowledgeable person on this forum when it comes to Gibsons and i think your reply was a bit unfair. I hope you can realize that he was willing to help.

And did you notice I said thanks to those people and said that I'm going to look into the J15? I only said it about 20 times.....but "you seem to have not taken this into account". "I think your reply was a bit unfair".

And did you notice I said thanks to those people and said that I'm going to look into the J15? I only said it about 20 times.....but "you seem to have not taken this into account". "I think your reply was a bit unfair".

Ok, then give us your feedback after you tried some j15 or others models (while keeping in mind that it will greatly improve in the next months/years after you bought it due to finish check...).

Dunno where you live, but here we can buy one online and return if it does not meet our expectations (good way to check em out when none can be found in local shops).

Ok, then give us your feedback after you tried some j15 or others models (while keeping in mind that it will greatly improve in the next months/years after you bought it due to finish check...).

Dunno where you live, but here we can buy one online and return if it does not meet our expectations (good way to check em out when none can be found in local shops).

I liked the last few J-15s I plonked at except for the necks. Clubbier than my usual Marteen nex. Well put together, sounded terrific, set up good but those couple stores are real good about that. I'll keep at them, may end up with one one of these days.

rct

I think we need to report Buc's post to the mods. I'm really worried about the state of the forum.

Please do.

As one gets older, assuming you have paid attention along the way, it becomes easier to recognize a fool. You have obviously not been paying attention, regardless of your age, and it shows. You love this attention, I'm sure.........makes you smile and feel better about yourself. Hopefully someday you will come to realize that gathering your joy in this manner is a poor substitute for happiness in this life.

If you had bothered to take a look at the other thread of the same name you would have found a reasonable reply that posed you a question.......no, you were having too much fun busting chops over here. I have a new idea now......... How about you keep your Epi 500 something and hustle on over to the Epi Forum, and take your bullshite with you.

I wanna be like Jesus Christ......keep the party movin' giving' good advice.

Please do.

As one gets older, assuming you have paid attention along the way, it becomes easier to recognize a fool. You have obviously not been paying attention, regardless of your age, and it shows. You love this attention, I'm sure.........makes you smile and feel better about yourself. Hopefully someday you will come to realize that gathering your joy in this manner is a poor substitute for happiness in this life.

If you had bothered to take a look at the other thread of the same name you would have found a reasonable reply that posed you a question.......no, you were having too much fun busting chops over here. I have a new idea now......... How about you keep your Epi 500 something and hustle on over to the Epi Forum, and take your bullshite with you.

I wanna be like Jesus Christ......keep the party movin' giving' good advice.

Definitely. Swearing and calling people a "****" is fine....but if you don't like what they're saying it's just too much, I agree.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch: A couple years ago I got a SpongeBob Uke for my grandson. He played it, then wanted my Pineapple Uke. He's nine and he can strum a bunch of songs on it. Time to get him into the guitar and that SpongeBob one looks like the way to go.

I'm a Gibson guy when it comes to electrics but I don't know much about their acoustics. I have an Epiphone Masterbilt, I don't know the exact model, something 500, I bought it used a couple of years ago from EBay because the Masterbilts had a good rep and I wanted something better than my Chinese starter pack Fender.

Anyway, are the lower priced Gibson acoustics a good value? I don't care at all about bling on an acoustic, I actually prefer just a plain Jane dreadnaught no cutaway guitar. I've been looking at some of the lower priced Gibsons but is the difference between an Epiphone Masterbilt and a Gibson worth the price difference? And I know someone's going to reply "just play some Gibsons for yourself" but I wouldn't even know what models to play in my price range. I'm wanting some suggestions of what models to play and whether players have had good experiences with the Gibson models.

I like my Epiphone well enough but I'm not in love with its tone and like I said, I'm a Gibson guy. So any recomendations on lower end Gibson acoustics? Thanks.

Serious?

I have kept out of this stupid thread too...you have managed to insult all and sundry, including some of the nicest, gentle and clever guitarists on the forum.

You owe them an apology, then don't come back.

Whatever guitar you buy is bound to be broken.

BluesKing777.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch: A couple years ago I got a SpongeBob Uke for my grandson. He played it, then wanted my Pineapple Uke. He's nine and he can strum a bunch of songs on it. Time to get him into the guitar and that SpongeBob one looks like the way to go.

Ukeles are proof that the devil hates us and wishes to turn our heads from high volume arena rock, t1tties, and warm beer.

There, I said it.

rct

Ukeles are proof that the devil hates us and wishes to turn our heads from high volume arena rock, t1tties, and warm beer.

There, I said it.

rct

What a weird thing to post. Please explain why you wrote it. Ukes are cool in my book. Not clear what you would/could have against them.

Disclaimer: I had a toy uke I'd single string play circa my being 5-9 years old. It lead me to take guitar lessons at 9. At age 64 I still bring a uke to a all my guitar gigs and play a few uke songs as part of my larger guitar set.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

What a weird thing to post. Please explain why you wrote it.

To distract and re-rail a really badly de-railed thread that shouldn'ta ever happened.

If you can't laugh at this sh1t something is wrong.

I've never played a Uke, so there's the value of my opinion and experience with them.

So off into Uke land we go, people have Ukes that cost as much as my good guitars right?

I saw the guy that makes the greatest Ukes in the world on television, he was in the UK somewhere, Ireland or Wales maybe.

Have at it!

rct

Archived