Gibson Brands Forums

Are the lower priced Gibson acoustics noticbly better than an Epiphone Masterbilt?

Allenjason95

Great points. Instead of all the guitar reviews, comparisons, evaluations, message boards, etc etc etc on the Internet where people ask questions about guitars and discuss guitars and compare guitars we should just have a permanent banner that reads "only you can decide which guitar is for you. Go play them all."

I don't know what I was thinking.

If you don't like answers you shouldn't be asking questions.

rct

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RCT, I think AllenJason's point was that he's been around the block and already knows that guitars sound different, that it's a personal decision, etc. He was just hoping to get some others opinions on the cost/benefit of Gibson vs Epi Masterbuilts like he already has. I'm guessing he's already played a few Gibsons or wouldn't be interested in them specifically. If it were Martins he thought was the direction he wanted to go, he'd seek opinions from a forum where people might lurk who've played both to get their thoughts.

Unlike most who get responses similar to the cliche 'all guitars are different, you have to play them to know,' etc. who just skip those - the OP felt compelled to let a couple of folks know he was aware of that concept.

I think the confusion is based on whether you would expect anyone to answer "NO!" to the question "Is the difference in price between a Gibson and a Masterbuilt justified?" here on a Gibson Forum.

If you go to Amazon, and look at any product you'll find in the 'reviews' section - "Questions & Answers". Some of the questions are a little strange, but you're always guaranteed a laugh if you read the 'answers'.

"Does this hat come in red?" " I got blue."

" I think they have purple. No one wants a red hat."

" Here's a link to some nice red shoes."

And my favorite - shows up all the time: "I don't know." What kind of person takes the time to log on and answer a question stating they don't know the answer to the question?

So - I guess AlanJason just hasn't been de-sensitized enough yet to this internet phenomena. A few more posts here and he'll be like the rest of us.

RCT, I think AllenJason's point was that he's been around the block and already knows that guitars sound different, that it's a personal decision, etc. He was just hoping to get some others opinions on the cost/benefit of Gibson vs Epi Masterbuilts like he already has. I'm guessing he's already played a few Gibsons or wouldn't be interested in them specifically. If it were Martins he thought was the direction he wanted to go, he'd seek opinions from a forum where people might lurk who've played both to get their thoughts.

Unlike most who get responses similar to the cliche 'all guitars are different, you have to play them to know,' etc. who just skip those - the OP felt compelled to let a couple of folks know he was aware of that concept.

I think the confusion is based on whether you would expect anyone to answer "NO!" to the question "Is the difference in price between a Gibson and a Masterbuilt justified?" here on a Gibson Forum.

If you go to Amazon, and look at any product you'll find in the 'reviews' section - "Questions & Answers". Some of the questions are a little strange, but you're always guaranteed a laugh if you read the 'answers'.

And my favorite - shows up all the time: "I don't know." What kind of person takes the time to log on and answer a question stating they don't know the answer to the question?

So - I guess AlanJason just hasn't been de-sensitized enough yet to this internet phenomena. A few more posts here and he'll be like the rest of us.

All true.

But if you need pots and pans, do you ask the guy that cooks regularly and listen patiently as he tells you the pluses and minuses of the different types, and that you may have to buy one of a few kinds to figure out what works for you, or do you eff him off because you don't need to hear "all different what works for you"?

If you need new knives for the kitchen, do you just ask your loaf sister who never cooks where she got her Wal*Mart knives or do you listen to an actual chef tell you there are three basic types, best to get a small paring knife of each and try them, see which balance and blade material you like" and then eff him off because you don't have time for "different what works for you"?

Do you just buy the car yer neighbor has even though it is too big for what you had in mind but you just don't want to hear "I don't know man...go test drive a few...".

If you've been around the block enough times to know that internet reviews are crap usually posted by dew-eyed Unicorn Hunters that have found the holy grail you know enough to know that you have to go out and play them. You also, usually, know enough to not get all pee oohhed about the answers, because that's just stupid and negates asking questions so instead of "why bother" with the answers, really, "why bother" with the question you don't want the answer to?

rct

All true.

But if you need pots and pans, do you ask the guy that cooks regularly and listen patiently as he tells you the pluses and minuses of the different types, and that you may have to buy one of a few kinds to figure out what works for you, or do you eff him off because you don't need to hear "all different what works for you"?

If you need new knives for the kitchen, do you just ask your loaf sister who never cooks where she got her Wal*Mart knives or do you listen to an actual chef tell you there are three basic types, best to get a small paring knife of each and try them, see which balance and blade material you like" and then eff him off because you don't have time for "different what works for you"?

Do you just buy the car yer neighbor has even though it is too big for what you had in mind but you just don't want to hear "I don't know man...go test drive a few...".

If you've been around the block enough times to know that internet reviews are crap usually posted by dew-eyed Unicorn Hunters that have found the holy grail you know enough to know that you have to go out and play them. You also, usually, know enough to not get all pee oohhed about the answers, because that's just stupid and negates asking questions so instead of "why bother" with the answers, really, "why bother" with the question you don't want the answer to?

rct

I don't know.

(that was a rhetorical question, right?)

If you don't like answers you shouldn't be asking questions.

rct

I asked for advice and recommendations....you answered "only you can decide what's right for you".

If you don't have anything to actually add....you shouldn't be TRYING to answer the questions.

Really, you didn't answer what I asked. I mean....everyone has different tastes? You don't say lol. What are you going to tell us next? Water is wet?

I'd hope a Gibson would be just as durable. I take pride in scratches and dents and dings and worn spots on my guitars. It means I've played them.

Sure. And quite likely anyone here who isn't basically a 'furniture buyer' takes similar pride in honest play wear. You'd hope a Gibson would be just as durable as a less-expensive (say import Epi) alternative? Not going to happen.

Why is someone asking for simple advice and recommendations is so confusing and upsetting to guys like RCT?

I asked for advice and recommendations....you answered "only you can decide what's right for you".

If you don't have anything to actually add....you shouldn't be TRYING to answer the questions.

Really, you didn't answer what I asked. I mean....everyone has different tastes? You don't say lol. What are you going to tell us next? Water is wet?

Buy a fukking Martin and shut the fukk up.

Answer enough for you?

rct

Sure. And quite likely anyone here who isn't basically a 'furniture buyer' takes similar pride in honest play wear. You'd hope a Gibson would be just as durable as a less-expensive (say import Epi) alternative? Not going to happen.

What are you trying to say dude? That a Gibson isn't as durable as an Epiphone? Why?

Buy a fukking Martin and shut the fukk up.

Answer enough for you?

rct

So in addition to having reading comprehension problems you have serious anger issues.

Why did you even bother to reply? Why do you keep replying? Nobody nearby to yell at in real life?

So in addition to having reading comprehension problems you have serious anger issues.

Why did you even bother to reply? Why do you keep replying? Nobody nearby to yell at in real life?

Why are you reading? Why are you asking? Do you know so little about guitars you have to ask questions and get answers you really don't want to hear? Nobody nearby to pester with stupid questions you can get all butt hurt about the answers to?

You also lack comprehension abilities. There is more than one kind of answer you can get on the internet that you won't like. I've given you two kinds, because you don't seem able to figure that out. Good luck with it.

rct

What are you trying to say dude? That a Gibson isn't as durable as an Epiphone? Why?

The components, assembly techniques, design factors, finish, and such that go into producing a high quality acoustic instrument do not lend themselves to the degree of durability that is found in lesser instruments. Big difference from electrics....

Why are you reading? Why are you asking? Do you know so little about guitars you have to ask questions and get answers you really don't want to hear? Nobody nearby to pester with stupid questions you can get all butt hurt about the answers to?

You also lack comprehension abilities. There is more than one kind of answer you can get on the internet that you won't like. I've given you two kinds, because you don't seem able to figure that out. Good luck with it.

rct

So much anger. How's that working out for you? Lecturing and yelling at strangers on the internet I mean?

Does it usually work for you?

It seems kind of a strange way to try to get attention to me.

The components, assembly techniques, design factors, finish, and such that go into producing a high quality acoustic instrument do not lend themselves to the degree of durability that is found in lesser instruments. Big difference from electrics....

So to get a great sound.....you have to build a shitty guitar?

So to get a great sound.....you have to build a shitty guitar?

Not shitty, "light".

Martin especially, Gibson I'm not so sure about, suffered for a couple few decades for overbuilding guitars. Too much/too heavy/too square bracing makes for tops that don't do what tops need to do in order to move and sound right. But a lightly built top that vibrates well can also suffer fairly quickly in terms of guitar life times, like a ten year old dread with an imploding top for instance. The struggle between the head stock and the bridge plate and the tension between them is a difficult one to control and still make a good sounding resonant guitar.

Facts. Not an opinion, not a discussion of taste, just facts.

rct

Not shitty, "light".

Martin especially, Gibson I'm not so sure about, suffered for a couple few decades for overbuilding guitars. Too much/too heavy/too square bracing makes for tops that don't do what tops need to do in order to move and sound right. But a lightly built top that vibrates well can also suffer fairly quickly in terms of guitar life times, like a ten year old dread with an imploding top for instance. The struggle between the head stock and the bridge plate and the tension between them is a difficult one to control and still make a good sounding resonant guitar.

Facts. Not an opinion, not a discussion of taste, just facts.

rct

Absolutely and undeniably FACT. This reminds me of teaching guitar to wannabe teenage headbangers during the 1980's - the concept that quality and durability are not synonymous in acoustic instruments is apparently very difficult to grasp and/or accept.

Absolutely and undeniably FACT. This reminds me of teaching guitar to wannabe teenage headbangers during the 1980's - the concept that quality and durability are not synonymous in acoustic instruments is apparently very difficult to grasp and/or accept.

Or I was just asking a question, it's one of those two. You guys could star in a Grumpy Old Men remake.

I've seen plenty of cheap old accoustics that have fallen apart and I've seen plenty of old Gibson accoustics that looked pretty good to me and were selling for huge amounts.

"Each guitar is different"....."every player is different"...... .remember? I forget where I heard that.......

Or I was just asking a question, it's one of those two. You guys could star in a Grumpy Old Men remake.

I've seen plenty of cheap old accoustics that have fallen apart and I've seen plenty of old Gibson accoustics that looked pretty good to me and were selling for huge amounts.

Yeah true, very true. Like all things, no generalization about guitars is 100% every day including Christmas.

"Each guitar is different"....."every player is different"...... .remember? I forget where I heard that.......

Angry much?

rct

J15's are a real nice guitar for the money

But shop around and a j45 could be got for not an awful lot more money

Yes. I think that there is a significant enough step up to justify the price

Value for money is what some folk seek out more than anything , so remember that when reading any reviews

Are masterbuilts 'value for money'?

Absolutely

Are they as good as a Gibson ... no , I don't think so

Is a j200 'value for money' ?

No , I don't think so ... but they are a fantastic guitar

So it depends on an individuals particular view point

Hence the difficulty in answering the question .

With resect to you , it's a difficult question you posed

Nobody needs to 'f**k off'

J15's are a real nice guitar for the money

But shop around and a j45 could be got for not an awful lot more money

Yes. I think that there is a significant enough step up to justify the price

Value for money is what some folk seek out more than anything , so remember that when reading any reviews

Are masterbuilts 'value for money'?

Absolutely

Are they as good as a Gibson ... no , I don't think so

Is a j200 'value for money' ?

No , I don't think so ... but they are a fantastic guitar

So it depends on an individuals particular view point

Hence the difficulty in answering the question .

With resect to you , it's a difficult question you posed

Nobody needs to 'f**k off'

Thanks. Like I said I'm leaning towards the J15.

My question is only difficult to answer if you don't understand that I obviously realize it's subjective.....just like almost everything else about guitars........I'm not asking anyone to for anything besides their own opinion on Gibsons VS Masterbilts. Everyone has an opinion....right?

I don't understand what's so hard about just giving an opinion.

If someone asked me about Gibson LP VS Epiphone LP and whether the Gibson was worth the extra money I wouldn't reply with "that's a difficult question that only you can answer". We're not talking about the meaning of life. I would tell them my opinion....which is what they asked for.

Obviously everyone has different tastes but if everyone was really that different we'd all be playing custom made guitars. I asked if people thought the lower end Gibsons were worth the extra money when compared to a Masterbilt......I asked for recomendations of cheaper Gibsons to look at......those aren't difficult questions.

You guys seem to be overthinking and over analyzing my question to a degree that was never intended and despite me repeatedly explaining that I understand it's subjective to a degree..... you still have difficulty with it.

Archived