Gibson Brands Forums

Are the lower priced Gibson acoustics noticbly better than an Epiphone Masterbilt?

Allenjason95

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of ukes...here's a tune by Jake S, the Tommy Emmanual of ukes.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Jake pretty much re-defines the way we look at the ukulele, in much the same way that Chris Thile has done for the mandolin. Go watch his versions of Bach partitas and sonatas. A throw-down between Jake and Chris on their respective instruments would be a wonder to behold.

(Now this is a pleasant distraction)

I love the Uke...when it's played well, it's a wonderful instrument. My friend Paul Tucker fronts a brilliant all-Ukulele band called The Mother Ukers, a great blend of serious chops, ***-kicking and good humour...few instruments can cheer me up quite like a Uke.

My father gave me a plastic baritone uke back in the 60's, I think it was from Sears, I 'd been playing piano for several years but this was my first stringed "instrument" (if you want to call it that, LOL). He loved to tinker with things and adapted an old phonograph pickup to "electrify" it. He never played an instrument himself but appreciated music. I had fun with that cheap POS and it was how I learned the basic guitar chords, since the baritone uke is tuned like the upper 4 guitar strings.

No idea what became of that thing, probably ended up in the trash or maybe it went to Goodwill? First real guitar was the J-50 I got in 1974 and still have. :)

Yeah, here we go. The true nature of these forum beasts is showing itself for real----savaging the "pure as driven snow" uke. This is even worse than the uke jokes that send me fleeing for my safe place.

What's the difference between a uke and a trampoline? People take their shoes off to jump on a trampoline.

What's the most irritating thing about a banjo-uke? It takes twice as long to burn.

Just play your guitars. :-({|=

Yes they produced in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.They have somewhat large "Made in...." labels.Basically covers the whole inside of the uke with a fold out extra portion!*

*Custom version available with the same logo inlaid in abalone in the fingerboard.

Yes they produced in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.They have somewhat large "Made in...." labels.Basically covers the whole inside of the uke with a fold out extra portion!

Is that really the name?

I have one of their guitars and the label just says: "Llanie - for details see booklet in case" [flapper]

Incidentally, the back and sides are made from a large branch that fell off the Yew tree in Defynnog, possibly the Druid Grove!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2683383/Europes-oldest-yew-tree-discovered-Welsh-churchyard-FIVE-THOUSAND-years-old.html

The top is made from a piece of Hazel, often pieces of Hazel are given to a rejected lover.....

BluesKing777.

Is that really the name?

I have one of their guitars and the label just says: "Llanie - for details see booklet in case" [flapper]

Incidentally, the back and sides are made from a large branch that fell off the Yew tree in Defynnog, possibly the Druid Grove!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2683383/Europes-oldest-yew-tree-discovered-Welsh-churchyard-FIVE-THOUSAND-years-old.html

The top is made from a piece of Hazel, often pieces of Hazel are given to a rejected lover.....

BluesKing777.

Wow!One of your guitars is made from 5000 year old wood.Did it sound better after you tonerighted it???

I put 80/20s on my Uke...

It has a chocolately warm overtone that reminds me of Seattle mist. It exhibits complex mids, with a little tele twang. But the action is higher than Snoop Dog.

That's an interesting experiment Sal!I actually went the other way and put uke strings on my J-45 and capoed on 10th fret.It inspired me to write a song "Tiptoe through the tulips ya drunken cowboy"...kind of a cross between Tiny Tim and Johnny Cash.

Excellent revue on your uke, Sal. "Chocolately warm" is a great way to describe its tone. Those metal strings work wonders on the little "uke," don't they? As I huddle here in my safe place, "chocolately warm" fills my mind and soul with images of soft and squishy clouds and a warm summer breeze and young women in their summer dresses that float high in that breeze. Ahhh, we think alike, my friend. Especially when it comes to dresses floating high in the air. Thanks for bringing some dignity to "the uke." Plus, this dry and hopeless wilderness of a forum needs some "chocolately warm" feelings.

Archived