Gibson Brands Forums

Here's a nice old one to watch

62burst

Just a nice old guitar. Beautiful bridge. It will be interesting to see how the price jumps in the final seconds of this eBay auction. Currently at $3601:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-GIBSON-J-35-1940-ORIGINAL-SUNBURST-MILES-OF-TONE-/112335082840?hash=item1a27b15558:g:XYkAAOSwhQhYxtGQ

Until it became re-released as a regular part of Gibson's line, this (or something earlier) is what came to mind when "J-35" was mentioned:

FJonB31.png

That looks pretty nice, and the description sounds like the seller knows a thing or two. Who know what the final price will be?

In auctions like these, I always "snipe" in the last 30 seconds: decide what I am will to pay max, and check the price in real time over the last five minutes to see how it goes, and bid accordingly as late in the last 30 seconds as I feel willing to push it.

It has proven to be a reasonable strategy.

Btw auction ended $7750

Three snipers within 10 seconds to go, and the winner took it down to 1 second! (That's risky. You could miss the auction altogether.) It was at $6600 with 7 minutes left. That's quite a price tag, but I don't know that market at all.

Indeed this is a nice old one to watch.

And this is a nice watch to hold :

(not linked to OP, but the title made me think about this [biggrin] )

Btw auction ended $7750

A guitar styled after a watch- the Martin D-200 Deluxe. Hmm.... At least this time, instead of just talking about it, they found someone to play the guitar.

Three snipers within 10 seconds to go, and the winner took it down to 1 second! (That's risky. You could miss the auction altogether.) It was at $6600 with 7 minutes left. That's quite a price tag, but I don't know that market at all.

If the winner of the J-35 auction really wanted this guitar, a max bid much greater than the selling price may’ve been made early on in the auction. The automatic bidding system would keep that bidder on top only by the set bid increment.

As far as to whether this was a good price- it seems quite fair for this very cool guitar. Don’t know what it sounds like, though; “2 tone bars” as stated. This year is roughly where Gibson regularly started scalloping their bracing. If someone was looking for a more powerful J-35, they may’ve been more interested in a 1930’s 3 tone bar guitar, even though exceptions to what a guitar should sound like can always occur.

Archived