Gibson Brands Forums

Why Les Pauls Don't Stay in Tune!

Run

Yes this is all true... The angle of the headstock and the strings can cause binding if the nut is not cut correctly.. In fact that's probably the number one complaint we get on here...

Gibson has tried to do something about it with their zero fret nut... But not everyone likes it.

The problem Gibson have is that when they try and innovate all the traditionalists moan.. When they stick to the traditional stuff people moan that they never do anything new.. Its a tough position to be in for a company who relies so much on their history... And for the last couple of years Gibson has provided both modern and traditional models.. And yet people still moan :)

I guess you could say that regardless of the nut issue that Gibsons have been used on some of the greatest rock and blues music ever, why should they change something that despite some flaws generally works.. Maybe its that headstock angle that helps provide sustain and that famous sound?

Can you imagine the outcry if they were to fix that issue and reduce the headstock and string angle... Youd have people coming on here saying stuff like "if you have a LP with a smaller headstock angle its not a true LP" [rolleyes]

One answer (not the only answer) is to adopt the brass nut idea which is on my 25 / 50 Les Paul and which does stay pretty well in tune (except the G string - very worn tuner).

Many consider the Epiphone Les Paul a 'real' LP.

And it's only got a 14deg back bend vs Gibson 17deg back angle.

Yes, but if you reduced the headstock angle it wouldn't be a real Les Paul.

Pip.

Why not just cut the G string nut slot width the appropriate width for a wound G string and people would stop crying it does stay in tune? 😯

Many consider the Epiphone Les Paul a 'real' LP.

And it's only got a 14deg back bend vs Gibson 17deg back angle.

I strongly suspect you missed my attempt at humour regarding my reply to the last sentence in Rabs' post immediately prior to my one...hence Rabs' subsequent reply to my reply...

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Didn't miss the humour at all Pippy...

Ah. In which case it was ME who missed the point!

Apologies!

Mine stays in tune...

Yes; even allowing for the fact that I have Vintage-style Klusons and I switched up to '011s on all my LPs not one of them has ever had a tuning problem.

In fact they stay in tune like billy-o.

Pip.

Don't get yer nuts in a bunch.

bigbendsnutsauce.gif

Good for saddles too. . B)

Yep totally agree, that stuff fixed the old G problem.

I also now sort of push my strings on either side of the nut and bridge once I've changed strings and tuned it up. seems to help.

All mine stay in tune. The ones that have even been in their cases for a couple of months are still in tune, 2013 Standard premium plus, 2014 Custom, 2016 Fort Knox. In fact both of my ES 335s and SG standard all stay in tune also. The only time I've had guitars not stay in tune was when the neck relief was off and intonation was off, other than that when the neck relief is correct, action is right, intonation is perfect...it will stay in tune. Also it's how you string it without slips and strings are stretched good new before playing. If your LP doesn't stay in tune then you might check your set up and stringing. One that is consistently out of tune, needs a real good setup.

Lube the slots with graphite - pencil lead - no problems.

I have 3 Les Pauls now, and had 2 others in "the old days", and never noticed a problem with them going out of tune.

Are you sure you know how to correctly install your strings?msp_rolleyes.gif

I posted this on another thread but I think it's appropriate here too:

I don't have anywhere near the experience of most people on this forum. I have learned a lot from many of you. I currently have two Gibson 2017 tribute T's. One is faded burst, the other is a goldtop with a bigsby. I also have a Epi Black Beauty with a bigsby and I had two other Epis in the past.

Anyway, nut sauce and a good locking string wrap, without too many wraps seems to work very well for me. Even my gold top with the bigsby stays in tune really well, at least as good as the non bigsby guitar...

msp_mad.gifThere were two pages with more replies concerning this post...where is the second one containing one of my reply? So I write it again: On my LP Jr, I replaced the bronze nut with the titanium one I received from Gibson and used some graphite, I placed the P-90 pickup a little closer and parallel to the strings (using small rubber shims) and now it stays in tune and the sound is much better. I love this guitar and after following all the instructions regarding the G Force system it tunes perfectly. smile.gif

Lube the slots with graphite - pencil lead - no problems.

Yep. [thumbup]

I bought a little tube of graphite from a hobby store over 10 years ago and it's still nowhere near empty. I never even get the PING. [biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...

Archived