Gibson Brands Forums

Why Les Pauls Don't Stay in Tune!

Run

I never have tuning problems with my Gibsons. It can be corrected using one simple rule: tune UP to pitch. If you go a little sharp detune and tune back up, repeat if necessary. This eliminates any slack that may exist outside of the nut and/or bridge. If any slack is there then as soon as you bend a string it will go flat.

If we're going to talk about the way they were traditionally made, I believe many Gibsons in the 50's were traditionally made with a nylon not. The new custom shop versions are coming with nylon nuts and they don't bind it all and the guitar stays in tune for days on end.

Even with all my bone nut Gibson's, they stay in tune, as well or better, than any other guitar I own, of any brand!

Regardless of the headstock angle, etc. :rolleyes:[tongue]

I did have issues, with the Corian nuts, and worked out a deal, with my dealer, than ANY Gibson I bought from them,

would have the nut changed, to bone, as part of the deal. It's one of the advantages of having a great dealer, and

having dealt with them, for over 30 years. [thumbup]

So...??? [tongue]

CB

My Bonamassa LP has a nylon nut and my '17 Tribute T with a Bigsby has tektoid nut. Both stay in tune for days. Usually when they go out of tune it's changes in weather/humidity that seems to have more effect than anything else.

I never have tuning problems with my Gibsons. It can be corrected using one simple rule: tune UP to pitch. If you go a little sharp detune and tune back up, repeat if necessary. This eliminates any slack that may exist outside of the nut and/or bridge. If any slack is there then as soon as you bend a string it will go flat.

I have a friend that does this all the time. Tunes down to pitch and I tell him as soon as he bends that string you are going to be way flat. Doesn't listen and constantly complains.

I have a friend that does this all the time. Tunes down to pitch and I tell him as soon as he bends that string you are going to be way flat. Doesn't listen and constantly complains.

You can lead a horse to water...

All mine stay in tune and one has for 33 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine didn't like staying in tune for a couple months when it was new, 2016 Trad. So I took it to local luthier. Lo and behold when I got it back it had settled right down. Figure after they're made, shipped, hung up in stores, etc they've been through some trauma. That's why I figured it might be a good idea to let it acclimate here for a bit before I had anything done. It's been pretty stable ever since

You speak the truth my friend

Don't all Gibsons have a 17 degree angle?

Just curious, because I've never had an issue with my 2017 V.

I Nut-Sauce, of course, but even before that, no sticking G string.

I was actually thinking of returning it because of that. For spite.

My 2016 Trad was a little iffy at first but after a good setup and a little acclamation to life outside the store that it had been in for a couple months it's just as stable as any other guitar I've ever had

My Les Paul always stayed in tune, maybe I was just lucky.

1971 Deluxe goldtop

1996 Studio, ebony black

2001 Studio copper-top

Those heavy bastards never went out of tune in the middle of a song or a set.

[unsure]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived