Gibson Brands Forums

2010 LP Supreme w/out Nibs?

lazarusvt84

This looks mostly legit to me but nibs and 'supreme' on headstock give me pause. Verdict?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122400953914?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't know crap about Supremes but I looked for "centipede burst Supreme" and got this ad for a centipede burst (WTF does "centipede burst" even mean lol?) Custom. It doesn't appear to have nibs either.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPCLTDCPBGH

Several giveaways say it's a fake. [thumbdn]

What are the giveaways? I know the basic stuff to look for, nibs (most of the time), metric bridge, 3 screw truss rod cover etc but I'm not sure if those are still effective because I've seen Chibsons that had all those.

Whenever I buy a LP I always check out the dealer as thoroughly as I do the guitar because they are making some dead on fakes these days it seems.

I don't own a Fender in large part because I have no idea how you make sure what you're buying is a real American Fender.

Anyway, what are the giveaways on this Supreme?

Brilliant. . Whodda thought a guy would custom order a LP Supreme with a rosewood fretboard when the Ebony is standard issue? . [lol]

Lol.. well yeah it would be odd.. I just don't know...

BUT if as it says in the add it was a one off custom, I do know people who prefer Rosewood to Ebony... But then again just saying it was a custom order may be their way of getting around people questioning it???

Fake, fake, fake...

• The curve over the toggle switch is not correct
  • It seems to me the top middle joint line is not perfectly in the center
  • The inlays are very wrong, specially from the 12 up. The one in the 15 fret is an abomination.
  • The back's center line also seems off center.
  • That headstock logo is as fake as a 7 dollar bill.
  • The truss rod cover, give me a break. At least that they could have it right, but not even that.
  • The serial number is absolutely fake, too deep, not the correct spacing, not the correct font size, and on first impression not even the same font. Also is routed. Gibson s/n are pressed.

I have a genuine 2012 LP Supreme, and I pretty much agree with all comments re the 'caterpillar burst' Res Paur Suprome.

Mine has richlite board, Supreme very well executed on the headstock, and embossed serial number painted over. Bought from a Gibson dealer NOS with all relevant paperwork. There are so many fakes around it makes buying a used Gibson a real worry unless you are an expert. I am not an expert, which is why I went to an authorised Gibson dealer and bought NOS at a good price. I paid not much more than the used prices on ebay and got the guarantee of a genuine Gibson.

The real concerns are that the fakes are getting better, and the more hands they pass through the more likely they are to be passed off as genuine. It must be hurting the used Gibson market somewhat.

I have a genuine 2012 LP Supreme, and I pretty much agree with all comments re the 'caterpillar burst' Res Paur Suprome.

Mine has richlite board, Supreme very well executed on the headstock, and embossed serial number painted over. Bought from a Gibson dealer NOS with all relevant paperwork. There are so many fakes around it makes buying a used Gibson a real worry unless you are an expert. I am not an expert, which is why I went to an authorised Gibson dealer and bought NOS at a good price. I paid not much more than the used prices on ebay and got the guarantee of a genuine Gibson.

The real concerns are that the fakes are getting better, and the more hands they pass through the more likely they are to be passed off as genuine. It must be hurting the used Gibson market somewhat.

A big problem (for me at least) is that there are now so many legit variations of Gibson Les Pauls. With all the different options, models and configurations unless you're an expert on LP there's almost always something you've never seen before.

I always buy used but I vet the seller very very carefully.

Haven't had a 'Suprome' thread for quite a while!

What a hoot that guitar is!....................msp_lol.gif.......................unless someone actually buys it, of course.

Reported.

Pip.

I reported it hours ago. I'm not sure how EBay vets if something is fake or not but they seem to be taking their sweet time.

Archived