Gibson Brands Forums

Thmbs Up for the J45

chasAK

I am often amazed at the versatility and sound of the j45. I play a Dove on many Wednesdays while my son is in his viola lessons. It has avery clear sound that is even across the board. The bottom end is balanced yet full and the high end is sparkly and clear. I like it with older strings. The shorter sustain of the older strings adds to it crispiness. But it does not have that sweat mahogany sound or the raw harsh sound one can get out of the j45. For the most part I have not been real impressed with the AJs I've tried. The exception is the Adi topped AJs. They have a sound! Understand my experience has been very limited. The Martin rose woods have that heavy bass and crisp highs one expectsout of a Martin. They are a nice sounding guitars. The Taylors seem to be overly bright and lacking depth in tone. Most of them do not float my boat. The j45 can go from mellow & sweat to punchy & in your face raw. It sounds good being lightly strummed and can sound rocky when attack hard with a pick. I only have two guitars, the j45 and a carbon fiber guitar. Perhaps it is because it is the only real wood guitar I have is the j45, but its versatility is remarkable.

Ps. SomedayI want to get my hands on a Fire Bird Custom.

chasAK

I agree. The J45 is truly a great guitar. A legend in its own time, as they say. And I definitely agree that there is something special about mahogany. That said, there's also something very special about a Dove. Different and great guitars each fill different and great needs. :-({|=

Archived