Gibson Brands Forums

1st attempt at making a slotted saddle, 2nd attempt at making a nut...

sbpark

First shot at making a replacement bone saddle for my AJ. I think ti came out great. After looking at the pics though, I need to go back and round off the back edge of the saddle a bit more, but other than that it was pretty easy. Used a dremel to hog away big pieces of bone and to get the curves perfect. Then used a coarse, medium, fine, and super fine files followed by some 000 steel wool to give it a nice finish.

Regarding the nut, this was my second attempt at making a nut. First one turned out great, but it was a bleached nut, and looked too "new" and somewhat out of place on the guitar. This time I used unbleached for each.

tgHz89Z.jpg

uRgwdLp.jpg

AUUeTjo.jpg

mNCdBtK.jpg

o1l0I9u.jpg

s2GfgGh.jpg

These look terrific! I have done a couple drop-in saddles, but never had true courage to attempt a thru saddle - excellent. To make the nut do you have a set of guitar nut files?

Yeah, I kind of went a little crazy and spent a small fortune at StewMac. Even bought a little wood toolbox from Harbor Freight. Also picked up a cheap piece of granite from Home Depot for a flat surface to sand stuff on. The nut slotting files (I love the double sided files compared to the regular nut slotting files, btw) and shaping files really makes things easier. One thing I learned working on motorcycles in the past is you really should have the right tool for the job. Improvising is fine in some situations, but cutting corners and rigging up something because you don't have, or can't wait for the right tool usually results in costing you more money and taking much longer to complete in the long run. I've half-attempted stuff like this without the proper tools and let me say this...it makes the experience that much more enjoyable and the outcomes way more predictable and professional looking.

One thing I learned working on motorcycles in the past is you really should have the right tool for the job. Improvising is fine in some situations, but cutting corners and rigging up something because you don't have, or can't wait for the right tool usually results in costing you more money and taking much longer to complete in the long run. I've half-attempted stuff like this without the proper tools and let me say this...it makes the experience that much more enjoyable and the outcomes way more predictable and professional looking.

Bingo! Good tools will last a lifetime.

I still have some tools I bought 40 years ago, and a few others that were my father's almost 70 years ago.

I come from a long line of farmers, who depend on their tools, know how to make them, and know how to make them better. Good lessons.

Archived