Gibson Brands Forums

Chuck Berry dead

LarryUK

Bad news sure travels fast. The news just hit the local wire here in his (and my) hometown of St. Louis, Missouri. Here's a very good biographical write-up from our local paper:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/rock-legend-chuck-berry-dies-at-police-report/article_ff0a2a77-8b25-5573-868c-dcbf7674372e.html

I certainly couldn't call him a "friend", but I can say I did know him. Our paths crossed many times over the years, which did include doing one concert with him.

To me he was Mr Rock 'n' Roll, Mr ES-350 T, Mr ES-355, and Mr ES-335. In 1986 he was among the first to be induced into the newly established Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Probably Rock 'n' Roll heaven deserves its name from now on.

Thank you, Chuck, for creating Rock 'n 'Roll.

Sad news, what a life he lived, a true pioneer of Rock and Roll who inspired generations of other artist, he was the first African American rocker to capture the white audience, the fact that his career spanned so many decades and continues to be viable says more about his genius than my humble utterances can hope to.

He announced last December that he was working on a new album of new material. A player to the end...

Thank you Mr. Berry, there will never be another like you.

Gods Peace..

If I had to pay a dollar for every song of his we played over the decades I would still be forever in debt. If you wanted the dance floor full - you played this man's music because everyone knew it. R.I.P. sir. You will me missed but never forgotten. Rest well - you earned it. [sad]

CB's guitar playing was the single thing which most inspired me to take the instrument seriously as a teenager. I'm pleased to say that my teenage daughter also perks up when Johnny B Goode comes on the car stereo.

I guess he reached a point where he had no particular place to go. Roll over Beethoven indeed.

Did he actually complete the new album which he was talking about before Christmas? Would be nice to think there was one last record for us to hear.

As a kid growing up with AC/DC being far and away my favourite band and what made me love guitar rock (and eventually to be my chosen instrument) the clear and obvious impact of Chuck Berry's approach to music through them has been profound in my life to this day. A giant of rock music and popular culture broadly.

As John Lennon once said, (paraphrasing here) "If you could give Rock n Roll another name, it would be Chuck Berry". Long live Chuck.

Yeah RIP Chuck...

I hope they are jamming together once again...

Chuck was the man who defined modern guitar playing, something that we all take for granted now. There can be no doubt that his influence lives on in all modern western music and he touched everyone's lives even if a lot of youth doesn't even know who he was. Although it comes as no surprise, after all he was 90 years old it is still a shock, the Monarch of rock'n'roll is dead. RIP Chuck.

Ian

Archived