Gibson Brands Forums

The 'F' word (I mean Fender!)

Hawkesman

Agreed! I'll take some shots, but I've just noticed there's a hole in the back of the neck plate, and under this is an allen bolt you can use to adjust the angle of the neck relative to the body. Weird. I don't normally work on Fenders, and I'm beginning to see why!

There's nothing in the headstock hole except wood, and the diameter is tiny.

Looks exactly like that of my American Deluxe Telecaster. It has a 1/8" hex nut and a Bi-Flex truss rod, that is the nut uses the walnut ring in the hole as support for bending the neck forward.

Hi cap. Thanks, but I promise you that there is no hex nut in the hole. I've put two pairs of reading glasses on together (!), and shone my brightest torch into it, and all there is in there is a wood plug.

To be honest, this seems... strange... :unsure:

Indeed it does! I'm wondering if the hex bolt at the neck plate is the key? I thought it was just a neck-angle adjuster as it obviously threads into the serrated disc seen on the neck-cavity side of the body, and this aligns perfectly with the flat disc seen on the underside of the body-end of the neck. However this isn't a disc though - underneath it's a solid cylinder which goes deep into the neck and sits astride the TR. I thought that this was just an anchor for the TR, but perhaps it's more than that. So... maybe all of this gubbins is the adjuster? Engineering-wise it just doesn't seem right, as the stresses involved in indirectly applying force to the TR in this way seem way to big.

Anyhow, once all the other work is done and the guitar is back together I'll experiment a little and let you know what happens. Fenders, eh? Nice MIA guitar though. Quality is good throughout. Better than some of the Gibsons I've owned (much gnashing of teeth!).

Indeed it does! I'm wondering if the hex bolt at the neck plate is the key? I thought it was just a neck-angle adjuster as it obviously threads into the serrated disc seen on the neck-cavity side of the body, and this aligns perfectly with the flat disc seen on the underside of the body-end of the neck. However this isn't a disc though - underneath it's a solid cylinder which goes deep into the neck and sits astride the TR. I thought that this was just an anchor for the TR, but perhaps it's more than that. So... maybe all of this gubbins is the adjuster? Engineering-wise it just doesn't seem right, as the stresses involved in indirectly applying force to the TR in this way seem way to big.

Anyhow, once all the other work is done and the guitar is back together I'll experiment a little and let you know what happens. Fenders, eh? Nice MIA guitar though. Quality is good throughout. Better than some of the Gibsons I've owned (much gnashing of teeth!).

My only MIA and lots of my MIM Fenders feature a Micro Tilt adjustment of same make, and it is just that. All it affects is the neck angle. I think it takes a 3/32" allen key. Anyway, other than the MIA, the MIM Fenders have a "normal" single-action truss-rod and a 3/16" hex nut for truss-rod adjustment.

Yes, the truss rod is to be adjusted through that little hole.

And be careful with the micro-tilt at the neck pocket. It can really throw a monkey wrench into your set up. I hate those things because it complicates setups. Normally you just have to set the truss rod with a tiny bit of relief and then adjust the height of the bridge saddles, but the micro tilt complicates matters by tweaking the "tit" of the neck in the pocket. However, if you get it just right the set up will play like butter.

Guys,

You were, of course, quite right! I decided to assume that you were (because you usually are), and carefully inserted a small drill bit into the hole and twirled it a bit by hand. A load of wood-coloured crap came out of what proved to be the hex hole, and after much huffin' and puffin' I eventually saw the beginnings of a hex shape. What was in it, I shall never know. It looked like wood shavings, but it's a mystery to me! However, as usual, problem solved thanks to the Forum!

Cheers muchly,

H.

Guys,

You were, of course, quite right! I decided to assume that you were (because you usually are), and carefully inserted a small drill bit into the hole and twirled it a bit by hand. A load of wood-coloured crap came out of what proved to be the hex hole, and after much huffin' and puffin' I eventually saw the beginnings of a hex shape. What was in it, I shall never know. It looked like wood shavings, but it's a mystery to me! However, as usual, problem solved thanks to the Forum!

Cheers muchly,

H.

Thats a relief ;)

...A load of wood-coloured crap came out of what proved to be the hex hole...What was in it, I shall never know...
my bro inlaws Mex Presicion bass had the same problem, the hex bolt was jammed with "something"... had to dig it all out...

Ear-wax?

Thats a relief ;)

msp_laugh.gif

Pip.

Danny swears it was crushed peanuts, the luthier that found this agreed. how the f--- do peanuts get in there by accident...

Prior to February of 2013 I would have asked the same thing. Visit the factory, you'll know how!

rct

Danny swears it was crushed peanuts, the luthier that found this agreed. how the f--- do peanuts get in there by accident...

What makes you think they got in there by accident?

You know that guy who works in Fender's Custom Shop and wears a Gibson T-shirt?........

eusa_shhh.gif

Pip.

Archived