Gibson Brands Forums

Possible Les Paul Supreme "Chibson"

donniecrump

Check this out. I sent this to the counterfeit submission for but wanted to get a second opinion.

Possible Chibson

Here are some things I see wrong with this.

1. Fretboard looks like a cheap piece of Rosewood.

2. Frets are not bound.

3. Nut is not cut to fit strings.

4. "Les Paul" is upside down on truss rod cover.

5. Head stock looks over rounded.

6. At the tip of the cut away the rounding looks incorrect.

7. Pickup rings are too large. Looks like an Epiphone pickup ring.

8. The top does not look like real wood. It kinda looks like a picture.

9. The case looks really strange.

10. The word "Supreme" looks way off.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

Donnie

Check this out. I sent this to the counterfeit submission for but wanted to get a second opinion.

Possible Chibson

Here are some things I see wrong with this.

1. Fretboard looks like a cheap piece of Rosewood.

2. Frets are not bound.

3. Nut is not cut to fit strings.

4. "Les Paul" is upside down on truss rod cover.

5. Head stock looks over rounded.

6. At the tip of the cut away the rounding looks incorrect.

7. Pickup rings are too large. Looks like an Epiphone pickup ring.

8. The top does not look like real wood. It kinda looks like a picture.

9. The case looks really strange.

10. The word "Supreme" looks way off.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

Donnie

Yeah, I reported it yesterday. I don't know EBay's procedure as far as removing a counterfeit but it seems like they've had plenty of time and they haven't removed it. I contacted the seller multiple times with no response. I just hope enough people report it before the auction finishes.

Well it's been removed from ebay now.

Yeah, after multiple people contacted them and I contacted Gibson which I think is what finally got it removed. Evidently EBay has a system called "vero" to report counterfiets but you have to be a member of it to report something. If an average Ebay user reports a fake they just ignore it. It's pretty eye opening that EBay was just going to let that auction go through after multiple people reported it as a fake. They said if the buyer reported it as fake after purchasing they could get their money back......but what if the buyer didn't ever realize it was a fake? Or what if the buyer didn't realize it was a fake until years later? EBay isn't going to reimburse him then.

I got this reply from an EBay community mod after I started a thread there asking who to report the item to:

I’m sorry to let you know this is an official warning for a violation of the Community Guidelines. Your recent post, found here, has been edited, because it violates the following:

No naming and shaming. We will not tolerate posting about listing or member violations. Item numbers, auction links, negative/neutral feedback scores, other members’ ID or contact information posted for the purpose of shaming another member will be edited or removed. Read more about this policy here.

Your post titled - " I reported a counterfeit item and Ebay has done nothing", posted on 03/20/2017 was edited to remove the following:

Item Number.

Please take a moment to review the Community Guidelines to avoid making the same mistake again.

Thanks for your contribution and for your help in keeping the community a friendly, productive environment for all members.

-eBay Moderation Team

How pathetic is that? Someone is trying to defraud someone for thousands and they send me an "official warning" for trying to report it.

Yeah, after multiple people contacted them and I contacted Gibson which I think is what finally got it removed. Evidently EBay has a system called "vero" to report counterfiets but you have to be a member of it to report something. If an average Ebay user reports a fake they just ignore it. It's pretty eye opening that EBay was just going to let that auction go through after multiple people reported it as a fake. They said if the buyer reported it as fake after purchasing they could get their money back......but what if the buyer didn't ever realize it was a fake? Or what if the buyer didn't realize it was a fake until years later? EBay isn't going to reimburse him then.

I got this reply from an EBay community mod after I started a thread there asking who to report the item to:

I’m sorry to let you know this is an official warning for a violation of the Community Guidelines. Your recent post, found here, has been edited, because it violates the following:

No naming and shaming. We will not tolerate posting about listing or member violations. Item numbers, auction links, negative/neutral feedback scores, other members’ ID or contact information posted for the purpose of shaming another member will be edited or removed. Read more about this policy here.

Your post titled - " I reported a counterfeit item and Ebay has done nothing", posted on 03/20/2017 was edited to remove the following:

Item Number.

Please take a moment to review the Community Guidelines to avoid making the same mistake again.

Thanks for your contribution and for your help in keeping the community a friendly, productive environment for all members.

-eBay Moderation Team

How pathetic is that? Someone is trying to defraud someone for thousands and they send me an "official warning" for trying to report it.

Too pathetic! That's incredible. I understand their point of view, because people could abuse this; but they should at least say, "We'll look into this." Then if you abuse turning people in, you get in trouble.

Too pathetic! That's incredible. I understand their point of view, because people could abuse this; but they should at least say, "We'll look into this." Then if you abuse turning people in, you get in trouble.

I understand their policy/point if someone is abusing it and constantly reporting non fake items.....but I've been a member for over 10 years, I have a 100% positive rating, I've bought and sold hundreds of things on EBay.

So when I (or any upstanding Ebay user) and several others.....report an item as being fake ....especially an item selling for thousands of dollars like that fake Supreme.....you'd think EBay would at least look into it? But apparently unless you're a member of Vero they don't. I mean, why do they even give a regular member an option to report a counterfiet? Placebo effect?

That's precisely what I was saying. That policy is completely backwards. I just watched a fake '63 Tele get sold for over $4k and the web site (Goodwill's online sales) had nothing in place to report that it was a fake. One might argue that if you're spending $4,000+ on a guitar, you might want to do a little research; but just because one has $$ doesn't mean that you should be robbed of it by these charlatan's.

You would think E-Bay would protect the buyer's from rip-off artists such as these. The good thing is that in the LP's case, it happened, but what about next time?

That's precisely what I was saying. That policy is completely backwards. I just watched a fake '63 Tele get sold for over $4k and the web site (Goodwill's online sales) had nothing in place to report that it was a fake. One might argue that if you're spending $4,000+ on a guitar, you might want to do a little research; but just because one has $$ doesn't mean that you should be robbed of it by these charlatan's.

You would think E-Bay would protect the buyer's from rip-off artists such as these. The good thing is that in the LP's case, it happened, but what about next time?

Yeah, you'd think they'd research a little before buying but maybe the person buying the guitar is a grandma or wife buying a gift and doesn't have the first clue about guitars?

I wouldn't have know that Supreme was fake until reading the threads about it here. Now that I know what to look for I could tell it was fake almost instantly.

It's just very disturbing to me that Ebay claims to be so anti-counterfeit but they'd let an obvious counterfeit like that Supreme go through despite multiple reports.

And that is crazy about that Goodwill auction. I wonder if they have any kind of anti-counterfeit policy? It's probably buyer beware there.

Archived