Gibson Brands Forums

You all care to copy this.. ?

slimt

its up to you...

http://www.clubbass.ca/cites.html

I think we all have read something in lite of this somewhere.. But I had to ask . Reasoning is.. ebay with these Global shipping programs in place.. they have no area stating what the issues could be.. till its to late..

some one mentioned about a passport for your guitar.. but I think thats for personal..

Hmm, I think this is a little out of date..

This is the latest I have seen regarding CITES..

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/cites/pdf/cop17/implementation_of_cites_cop17_listing_of_rosewood_clean.pdf

It says that PERSONAL travel is fine... You only have to worry if you are buying or selling outside of your own country....

HOWEVER.. These things are still being discussed... and all it will mean is that you get a certificate to prove your Rosewood comes from a legal source... AND if your guitar was made and bought before 2017 a receipt should be enough.. but from all I have read they will leave people carrying less that 10kg of Rosewood alone..

If you are on a tour with a band though you will need certification..

And yes, it will probably lead to less Rosewood being used cos it will be easier.. But really how long before other species joins this list?

And you are right to think that.. When the new laws came in, no one had really thought about musical instruments and what it would mean.. There was a huge meeting at NAMM about it and as far as I know still more to be had before the decide exactly how to enforce it AND whats worse is that each country is doing their own thing..

So yeah, best check before travel but if any common sense prevails at all (I know, I know) then they should leave anyone traveling with house hold items for personal use alone.

We will see what happens soon enough I guess.

I have a feeling Guitar makers will take the brunt.. Ive already heard of Guitars being siezed through the global shipping program via ebay.. Not what Im wanting to chance.. ..so I guess your right. wait and see where it goes..

Any clue how to know what type of Rosewood or others woods were used in our instruments?

We most of the time only see "rosewood" written but barely details.

What about Mahogany? saw nothing about it in CITES stuff.

There is no certificate coming afaik with gibson acoustics pre-2017 for woods ?? Just the warranty thingy.

Hmm, I think this is a little out of date..

This is the latest I have seen regarding CITES..

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/cites/pdf/cop17/implementation_of_cites_cop17_listing_of_rosewood_clean.pdf

That is actually a surprisingly rational document compared to what it could have been. The issue is always arriving at a border (or shipping something) and running into an over-zealous customs official who doesn't properly understand the regulations.

Any clue how to know what type of Rosewood or others woods were used in our instruments?

We most of the time only see "rosewood" written but barely details.

What about Mahogany? saw nothing about it in CITES stuff.

There is no certificate coming afaik with gibson acoustics pre-2017 for woods ?? Just the warranty thingy.

Mostly Indian...... Brazilian Rosewood was banned years ago....

And with Mahogany its the south American stuff that's on the endangered list and has been for a while now (known as Genuine Mahogany) and is what they apparently used on the famous 59 Les Pauls.... You can get many other types including Sapele and various other types of African and Asian mahogany (known as True Mahogany).

The truth is though, we are using our resources on this planet up at an alarming rate so im actually glad they are trying to do something about it before its too late.. If the illegal loggers had their way it would all be gone by now, they don't care about our instruments (or the planet), only money...

That is actually a surprisingly rational document compared to what it could have been. The issue is always arriving at a border (or shipping something) and running into an over-zealous customs official who doesn't properly understand the regulations.

Yes.. this is why its good for us to actually know the laws....

And as I said in my previous post, while its a pain and obviously no one thought of the humble guitarist when making these new rules, its being done to stop the huge Asian market in illegal harvesting..... They really don't want to go after us as individuals, they are just trying to protect what precious woods we have left. Which I agree with.

And as I said in my previous post, while its a pain and obviously no one thought of the humble guitarist when making these new rules, its being done to stop the huge Asian market in illegal harvesting..... They really don't want to go after us as individuals, they are just trying to protect what precious woods we have left. Which I agree with.

They seem to have gone to a fair amount of effort to avoid "unintended consequences" in dealing with musical instruments containing relatively small amount of controlled woods.

And I agree that we need to protect them.

They seem to have gone to a fair amount of effort to avoid "unintended consequences" in dealing with musical instruments containing relatively small amount of controlled woods.

And I agree that we need to protect them.

Yes, but this is only recently.. When the new law actually came in, there was no system in place for certification and it did cause a small panic at the time...

But yeah.. For once it seems common sense has actually prevailed :)

Archived