Gibson Brands Forums

I noticed something odd about my small guitar collection

Adam M

It's relatively small currently just 4 electric guitars and 1 acoustic.

There are plenty of different models I dream of owning.

Yet the guitars I do own are usually the result of either an impulse, or right guitar at the right time.

I've wanted a Les Paul Junior for the past few years now. I could have bought one on multiple occasions. rather than wait I bought a epiphone 57 reissue. Whilst it's nice it's not really what I wanted.

I have the same feeling with my Kramer the 84. If someone said to me what guitars would you pick I'd probably rather have a strat or tele in my collection. But at the same time I don't want to sell it. though the floyd rose drives me crazy.

And finally I have my 2016 Les Paul studio. it was a steal of a deal. I do love it it's the best guitar I've owned. but I wouldn't have bought a black one.

So I was thinking perhaps instead of having 4 electrics 1 I love and 3 that I am not crazy about. get rid of the 3 and buy something else I like.

I do have a Les Paul Standard or above on my too buy list but that's going to be a bit later as I am saving slowly and want to buy something special.

Since owning my les paul studio I have fallen in love with Gibson guitars. when I was younger I used to always prefer fender probably as generally a bit cheaper. I am nearly 35 now so my tastes have changed.

What do you think guys? get rid of the epiphone junior and the kramer and get something I want. Also nothing better than new guitar for a bit of inspiration :)

If a guitar just does not make you want to play it, no point to hanging on to it.

Sell the ones that are just guitars to you, put the money away so you don't splurge it on some thing on the spur of the moment, and then find the guitar you have always wanted.

I got into a habit of buying guitars some times 1-2 a month just because I thought at the time I had to have it.

Next thing I knew I had 5 or 6 Stratocaster, about 7 different Gibson, plus Guilds, Gretsch,1 Rickenbacker, and just tons of misc guitars that after I bought them, they were stuck in a closet, under beds, and stashed in 2 guitar safes.

On day I realized what a mistake I had made, and started selling them just to dump them.

I sold about 32 /33 guitars, and kept 21.

Even out of all of the ones I kept, only 3 or 4 guitars are the ones I will never sell , because even though I don't play any longer, when I do get these 3-4 guitars out I realize these are the guitars that I enjoyed the most because of their playability, feel, sound and looks .

Happy hunting !

I have very few guitars that are keepers. Most are 'catch and release'. There is always seller's remorse though.

I say sell the ones that aren't earning their keep, find a Standard and put the balance on the card. Life's too short to settle.

I had a similar dilemma as well. I've had a few other low end models, a couple of Flying V's and I always wanted a Les Paul but couldn't afford it until now. As soon as I saw the 2017 Bourbon Burst Standard, I wanted it. But, I know how I am with guitars and had to see one, play it, feel it and have it in my hands for a while first. I couldn't bear to give up any of the ones I have, particularly the 81 V since I've had it since 84. I did a little research and went to try one out. I loved the look and feel and bought it that night, paid cash. I know others have said it a lot but definitely play a LOT of the ones you think you'd like since they're all different in some way. Really play it and check it out. It took me playing probably quite a few over the years before wanting to pull the trigger and to have the money to do it.

I've sold 4 guitars I didn't play much and 1 guitar that I did play lots but it had poor intonation. I have no regrets.

So long as it isn't something that has an emotional value (grandpa's guitar) you have no obligation to keep an instrument.

Just make sure not to sell for less than you think it is worth and research what it is worth so you make your fair share. [thumbup]

That is my one regret with one of my guitars. I sold for a couple hundred less than I could have gotten, but such is life.

When you get something you can't put down...that is The One. Get two of that The One if you can!! [flapper]

I've sold 4 guitars I didn't play much and 1 guitar that I did play lots but it had poor intonation. I have no regrets.

So long as it isn't something that has an emotional value (grandpa's guitar) you have no obligation to keep an instrument.

Just make sure not to sell for less than you think it is worth and research what it is worth so you make your fair share. [thumbup]

That is my one regret with one of my guitars. I sold for a couple hundred less than I could have gotten, but such is life.

When you get something you can't put down...that is The One. Get two of that The One if you can!! [flapper]

I regret selling one guitar years ago. When I was 17 I saw this Fender Jaguar for sale and I had decided I must get it. I didn't have much money in those days so I said to the guy in the shop here is £10 I want to put a deposit on it. he laughed and said ok I'll hold it for you. I schemed and worked extra shifts as I was part time in college. turned up with the money and took the guitar home.

Only for one random day a year or so later to for no reason at all take it down denmark street spur of the moment traded it in for probably less than it was worth and walked out with a epiphone explorer that I had never even thought about buying before.

I regret selling one guitar years ago. When I was 17 I saw this Fender Jaguar for sale and I had decided I must get it. I didn't have much money in those days so I said to the guy in the shop here is £10 I want to put a deposit on it. he laughed and said ok I'll hold it for you. I schemed and worked extra shifts as I was part time in college. turned up with the money and took the guitar home.

Only for one random day a year or so later to for no reason at all take it down denmark street spur of the moment traded it in for probably less than it was worth and walked out with a epiphone explorer that I had never even thought about buying before.

Oh wtf! This is exactly what I mean about sentimentally special. All that hard work! [crying]

Ducky was the first guitar I felt really comfortable with. I had WAY superior guitars, mind you. She was a '74 yellow Mustang, like painted with a brush in a garage, yellow. Her intonation was bad but if I kept above the 9th fret...I felt like she was about as mediocre as me so I played her hard and often and learned and learned. Then I got better at guitar and outgrew Ducky. I handed her off to a man who wanted a gift for his son who was turning 13. Guy had a horde of vintage stuff so he thought he'd get the boy something with Mojo. I said, "so long, Ducky." And I hope she's treated well, but no regrets here.

I feel your pain.......lol.

It's a tough situation that I can relate to VERY much lately.

I tend to hoard guitars and want to own them ALL!!!

In the last couple months, I've fallen in love with a couple of higher end guitars. I bought one, and having it and playing it totally swayed my opinion.......

Much to my anxiety, I sold off a few of my lower end guitars........they were great, but just were not getting enough use. I then bought another higher end guitar that I love...........right now my two high end guitars are getting all my love.

I would recommend rolling the un-used into something you will use.

THAT BEING SAID............I doesn't have to be an expensive guitar to be great...........I've got a Fender American Special Strat that I got used for something like $600 and it would be one of the last I'd ever sell........for me it isn't about price.....it's about how well it plays, sounds, and how well you bond with it.

NHTom

I've had cheaper guitars that I've bought on impulse. I had a squire showmaster that I didn't use and when the guitarist from the band Shy died (there was a charity auction for brain tumour research.)I gave it to that. I have a couple now that I've tried to sell and they haven't gone. So I just keep looking around for a young kid that can't afford much that wants to play better, and I'll give him one of my spare guitars. I'd rather give them away than sell them too cheap. But on the OP point. If you have Squire and Epi or similar and want better, sell them and club the money together.

Much to my anxiety, I sold off a few of my lower end guitars........they were great, but just were not getting enough use. I then bought another higher end guitar that I love...........right now my two high end guitars are getting all my love.

That's my situation. I sold off a few medium-end guitars (without much anxiety) when I realized I'd acquired enough of them to fund a higher end guitar or two, which are the ones I play most of the time. The lower end guitars I have left are so inexpensive, they're barely even worth selling. And I like 'em! And of course, a few of them are keepers and do get pulled out on occasion.

I do wish I had a couple back I sold way back when I got married, picked it up again and the cheap Fender acoustic I started to learn on again served well at first but now I hardly ever get it out. I have two and there both so cheap it's not worth trying to sell. The 3 electric guitars are keepers for now but I thought I wanted a 12 string and hardly ever get it out. Used to play a 12 all the time as a kid but this one is almost too loud and that's unplugged.

Well...I need to add a Deluxe and a 3PU Custom to finish off my Les Paul collection... [biggrin]...

Very nice - and wonderfully varied - set you have acquired, Bence! Lovely!!!

When I look at your group I realise quite how narrow-minded and blinkered I have been with my own quartet......msp_mellow.gif......

But why stop with a mere six? The list of 'possibles' is very long indeed.

You could reasonably be allowed to add a Junior; a Special;.................and you DEFINITELY need "a '59 R-I in a tasteful 'burst" ! ! ! ! !

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Very nice - and wonderfully varied - set you have acquired, Bence! Lovely!!!

When I look at your group I realise quite how narrow-minded and blinkered I have been with my own quartet......msp_mellow.gif......

But why stop with a mere six? The list of 'possibles' is very long indeed.

You could reasonably be allowed to add a Junior; a Special;.................and you DEFINITELY need "a '59 R-I in a tasteful 'burst" ! ! ! ! !

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Hello Pippy!

Thank You for Your comment.

Of course, I can imagine hundreds more of them, but I had to come up with some kind of logic to keep myself from that.

The logic is to have them varied by construction and hardware. So, one with the minis, and another with three PAFs would be great. (Not if I can see that ever happening) :)

Best wishes... Bence

Archived