Gibson Brands Forums

Future 339 Studio owner

Jim__H

Hi all;

Ever since I saw Josh Clark of Tea Leaf Green wail on his 339 a few years back I have lusted over these guitars and I finally took the plunge yesterday. I ordered a 339 Studio (budget constraints keep me in the $2000 range) from Guitar Center and should have it by next week. The plan is to have my guitar tech check it out and if necessary use GC's liberal return policy to make sure I get a good one that he can properly set up. I haven't asked him yet but is a bone nut a worthwhile upgrade?

Out is my PRS SE Custom 24. Nice playable guitar but I could never get the sound I wanted out of it.

Good luck I hope you get a sweet one - I am sure you will enjoy the tone you get from it. A bone nut is probably a good idea as Gibsons often have some pinging issues particularly with the G string, but perhaps your tech can file the nut that comes with it and save the cost of a new one. I would have him give that a try first as even if you end up returning it for some reason GC won't mind and won't even realize it has been done.

Good deal. I always wanted a Chuck Berry looking semi hollow or hollw Gibson. The 2000 dollar range is nothing to stick your nose up at, so do not feel bad or like it was the only thing you could afford and feel not so proud of it. I have never spent that much money on a guitar in my life. Most people could never spend that much on one either. It is an expensive purchase so be proud and show that puppy off when it shows up at your house!! I would be!!

Good deal. I always wanted a Chuck Berry looking semi hollow or hollw Gibson. The 2000 dollar range is nothing to stick your nose up at, so do not feel bad or like it was the only thing you could afford and feel not so proud of it. I have never spent that much money on a guitar in my life. Most people could never spend that much on one either. It is an expensive purchase so be proud and show that puppy off when it shows up at your house!! I would be!!

Guys, thanks for the positive comments, yes I am really looking forward to next Saturday.

Twang Gang, the Studio comes with a corian nut while the higher end 339s are bone so that is why I'm thinking the swap would be a good idea. I'll talk it over with my tech, either have him make one or I could buy one pre-slotted from Stew Mac. He said he might be cutting back on his work load a bit so I'll see what he says. I put a bone saddle on my 12 string and the difference was amazing.

Bigtim, right you are, $2000 is not a small sum and I really like the "stealth" look of the Studio 339. I will keep you all posted on how it turns out. I always learn a lot from the experiences of enthusiasts on sites like this one so now my turn to contribute.

If anyone is interested my guitar guy was the long time tech for the Doobie Brothers. Here is an interesting interview from a couple of years ago, he has done some really good work for me:

Cheers,

Jim

Hey that is a pretty cool cat guitar tech you have available to you. I like his statement on how he got involved with the Doobie Brothers starting as a luggage humper and then going to tune their stuff before the band showed up. Interesting and thanks for sharing.

I have a 339 Studio that I love.

I also have a PRS SE Custom 24, but I like its sound.

I did have a problem with the G string binding, but I wouldn't replace the nut personally. The slot can be widened & lubed easily enough.

I hope you are going to be thrilled with your new guitar! :)

Guys;

I am ecstatic, picked up the 339 tonight. Getting home and playing it I could not be happier. It looks fantastic, sounds wonderful and is quite playable. No fret buzz. I am sure it can use a setup but for right now out of the box I don't think it could be better. Wow! So when I have some time this weekend I will take some baseline measurements and a little video with sound and I'll post it on this thread. After the setup I'll do the same so we can see what changes and how much.

See ya then

I have a 339 Studio that I love.

I also have a PRS SE Custom 24, but I like its sound.

I did have a problem with the G string binding, but I wouldn't replace the nut personally. The slot can be widened & lubed easily enough.

I hope you are going to be thrilled with your new guitar! :)

Thank you merciful-evans

Vernier calipers? That is really old school... :-)

• 2 months later...

Archived