Gibson Guitar Board: Epiphone acoustic! any idea of year of manufacture? - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epiphone acoustic! any idea of year of manufacture?

#1 User is offline   stoney07 

• Group: Members

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

I have recently purchased a Epiphone 12 string acoustic. The model number inside says FR212. I have looked everywhere for this model with no success! also the serial number is 86030217. I hope someone out there can throw some light on this! many thanks! Steve

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: C7Y0I_wU4AAB4LC.jpg

#2 User is offline   QuestionMark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:02 PM

stoney07, on 20 March 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

I have recently purchased a Epiphone 12 string acoustic. The model number inside says FR212. I have looked everywhere for this model with no success! also the serial number is 86030217. I hope someone out there can throw some light on this! many thanks! Steve

My best guess would be the early 80s. Gibson had moved to Nashville from Kalamazoo circa that time and their Epiphones were being made in Japan at that time as the label indicates.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

#3 User is offline   stoney07 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:34 PM

View PostQuestionMark, on 20 March 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

My best guess would be the early 80s. Gibson had moved to Nashville from Kalamazoo circa that time and their Epiphones were being made in Japan at that time as the label indicates.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thanks Jazzman Jeff! really appreciate the help [thumbup]

#4 User is offline   Remellick 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Actually Epiphone production left my home town of Kalamazoo 1969-1970. There is a serial number decoder project and an unofficial epiphone wiki website packed with answer like to the questions you are asking.
You'll learn the blue label debacle like the blue labels that say just made in Kalamazoo, some with that plus "union made" in the bottom left corner, some with those two things and "made in Japan" in the bottom right and then there are some with made in kalamazoo AND "made in Japan in the bottom right and nothing in the bottom left side... then after all of those blue label (made in Kalamazoo) stickers ran out I think is when the Norlin (sp) brown square stickers started being put on.. there is a period before or after the use of big brown Norlin (sp) when serial numbering was all messed up, a production move to Korea happened as well as a short production run out west anyway... a hodge podge of stickers was put in epiphones over the years. So stickers like in your picture could be Japan or Korea or ?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users