Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a real Firebird

Guest Justin

Guest Justin

I traded a guy my PRS Custom for what he said was an Epiphone Firebird. When I looked at it I had some questions because I am familiar with Firebirds and this did not look like an Epiphone firebird. On the back of the headstock there is only a serial number when all of the epiphones that I have ever seen have a stamp that says epiphone and what country it was made in. This only has the serial number. I ran the serial number on the Guitar Dater Project website and it did not come up.

The headstock does not resemble that of the epiphone firebird.

It has the raised center block and then the wings and nice inlays on the neck. However, all of the epiphones that I have seen like this only have dot inlays on the neck.

The guy said he opened it up and it has epiphone pickups, but I think someone may have purchased a Gibson copy (Chibson) upgraded the pickups to epiphone and then rather than trying to pass it off as a Gibson said it was an epiphone.

If anyone can tell me if I have an ephiphone it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I traded a guy my PRS Custom for what he said was an Epiphone Firebird. When I looked at it I had some questions because I am familiar with Firebirds and this did not look like an Epiphone firebird. On the back of the headstock there is only a serial number when all of the epiphones that I have ever seen have a stamp that says epiphone and what country it was made in. This only has the serial number. I ran the serial number on the Guitar Dater Project website and it did not come up.

It has the raised center block and then the wings and nice inlays on the neck. However, all of the epiphones that I have seen like this only have dot inlays on the neck.

The guy said he opened it up and it has epiphone pickups, but I think someone may have purchased a Gibson copy (Chibson) upgraded the pickups to epiphone and then rather than trying to pass it off as a Gibson said it was an epiphone.

If anyone can tell me if I have an ephiphone it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ps. the only way to upload pictures is to put a link to them. I do not have them on any website so if you need me to email you the pictures let me know.

I think you had better trade back. Does not look anything like an epiphone. headstock is all wrong, volume and tone pots are in wrong place. rear pick up cover wrong shape too. I would have studied it a bit more.

Guest jrm2727

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I told the guy that it was likely to be a Chinese copy and he understood and we worked out a different deal.

Archived