Gibson Brands Forums

1944 Banner J45 on UMGF

MorrisrownSal

A sweetie, for sure. Now, that very nice '40 J-35 just went for $7750. . . here, the seller might've built in a GOOD bit of cushion. Love those small, lacquered rectangular bridges. Also seems to have the mystery wood/Gumwood fretboard. Gibson could revisit a look at that offset photo showing the nut; that's how to do it- beautifully done.

That is a beauty. My money just can't get me to Banner. I have often thought of getting rid of everything and getting something like that.

At a certain price threshold I would have to play it first. I have bought plenty of guitars that I did not play first and not been disappointed. I had a late '40s j50 that I was never really happy with the tone. I couldn't really put a finger on what it was just wasn't.

I'm curious 62b, what do you see in the fingerboard that says gumwood/mystery wood?

I'm curious 62b, what do you see in the fingerboard that says gumwood/mystery wood?

Lenticels more prominent in the fretboard (arrow), a dusky orange cast to the 'board, gumwood doesn't normally have well defined grain lines in it like rosewood(has a softer appearance), and it was used quite a bit by Gibson in '43/'44.

wij9uRd.png?2

1490130125[/url]' post='1843413']

And ... how was it, how was the tone ?

How does it compare to your J-50 ?

More detail please ....

Well, this was about four months before I actually bought the J50. But I know the difference. The banner was meatier, more bark, and more sustain. I think the big neck has something to do with these tones. Has to be, and not just old wood. That guitar was what turned me on to the slopes. I don't think I could handle that big neck though.

Before 2011 I owned two Martins, a Tak, and a J200 -over a twenty year period.

Archived