Gibson Brands Forums

vintage with mods

manny

There may already be thread about this. If there is let me know.

I am curious about mods and the affect on value. I know it all depends on what it was. I am looking at a 59 melody maker full scale. It has the bridge replaced. The original is long gone. The rest is original. not the guitar case. Without saying the asking price, would there a general rule on something like this?

$_27.JPG

Generally speaking, the market value would only be devalued by the cost of replacing the parts with those which are "period correct". Although with low-to-mid grade "vintage" instruments, this CAN BE a significant percentage of value/price.

The missing original case is only an issue to a cork-sniffing collector, as a player would never want to carry a guitar of this age around in a beat-up old case anyway, but the "lack there of" can be used as a another negotiating point.

From the body-only photo, the bridge shown is most likely a Leo Quan "Badass". These were great direct replacements for the old "lightning bolt" bridge on the large posts, and probably the first after-market part available for this purpose. The knobs are also probably replacements, and I wouldn't be surprised if the tuning machines have been replaced.

In the late 60's/early 70's the early Melody Makers were very inexpensive used guitars, and perfect chassis for all of us with a few bucks, a saw, a sander, a couple of cans of spray paint and soldering iron. I've seen everything from having the horns sawed off into a teardrop shape (for slide playing), to double humbuckers installed, and every custom paint job you can imagine.

The irony of all this is the fact that these were great little guitars (I prefer the early 60's double-cut model), and one of it's greatest assets was the pickup(s). I had an ES-320 with "Melody Maker" pickups, and it had a great and unique sound.

As for market value, with an "all original" value of around $1K, and deducts for changed out parts and missing case, I do think SlimT is right in the ballpark.

Yes, it is Leo Quan. I dont think the knobs are replacements. I could be wrong though. As for the tuners, I dont know. I sure wish I could find one for $750, if you find one post the link.

Yes, it is Leo Quan. I dont think the knobs are replacements. I could be wrong though. As for the tuners, I dont know. I sure wish I could find one for $750, if you find one post the link.

There out there.. and there far from being collectible,, with high collectors prices.. I rate these like B25s or B15 acoustics.. What gets me is these get all there guts removed and replaced with new stuff.. people seem to think there worth more parted out.. I watch the market pretty close.. alot of vintage Guitars are way over priced.. for what they are..

The stores are the biggest issue.. Just because its old doesnt mean its a valued item..

Archived