Gibson Brands Forums

NLSGD

sparquelito

Okay, so (as a guitar addict) I am on a self-imposed moratorium from buying guitars.

I won't be able to purchase another guitar until Christmas of 2017.

Some of you will recall this self-imposed guitar-buying edict that I issued to myself.

This is to save me from myself.

So, sure enough, just the other day my brother gave me this inexpensive, Chinese-made Rogue lap steel.

One of Stacey's best old high school friend passed it onto him last week, and he, in turn, passed it on to me.

(Stacey already has one of these, and didn't need another one.)

Let me tell you, this is some really cool stuff right here.

Clean volume and tone knobs, great tones, and really swampy mojo.

Would it cost less than $90 if I went out to buy one?

Yes.

Is it probably a piece of junk, compared to proper Fender models?

Again, yes.

But this thing stays in tune, and it sounds really interesting.

And I'm having fun working with all the open tunings, which will probably help me progress as a guitar player and a lead player.

Don't judge me, what was I gonna do, turn it down??

[crying] :mellow: :unsure:

200047.jpg

I have one just like it. Mine's not labeled Rogue - but in that price range there are dozens of identical ones with different names likely from the same factory. Mine is an "Artisan". :rolleyes:

IMG_4593_2.jpg

As far as quality - it's fine! With lap steels there's nothing to mess up. It's a slab of wood with a pickup and no frets. I have vintage ones and this one is just as playable - maybe more so. I did later replace the electronics though - a couple of good pots and a Seymour Duncan Jb. Jr. I had in a drawer instead of the cheap single coil. That baby screams now. I added some racing stripes too with auto pinstriping.

As far as tunings here is a list I find helpful...

Big E=6 Little E = 1

The most common tuning for acoustic steel guitar (Dobro) is open G

1. D

2. B

3. G

4. D

5. B

6. G

On electric lap steel guitar, I started out by using open E:

1. E

2. B

3. G#

4. E

5. B

6. E

G6 Tuning:

1. D

2. B

3. G

4. E

5. B

6. G

Variation of G6

1. B

2. G

3. E

4. D

5. B

6. G

Em or G6 tuning:

1. E

2. B

3. G

4. D

5. B

6. E

G9 Tuning:

1. D

2. A

3. G

4. D

5. B

6. G

Nearly standard guitar tuning

1. D

2. B

3. G

4. D

5. B

6. E

E9

1. E

2. B

3. D

4. F#

5. G#

6. E

...the other day my brother gave me this inexpensive, Chinese-made Rogue lap steel........what was I gonna do, turn it down?...

Nice Gift, Sparky!

msp_thumbup.gif

I've never even sat down next to a lap-steel never mind play one but given the chance to accept one gratis? Hell Yeah!

And thanks, Surf, for the list. I will copy that for the day when I do get a lap-steel / Dobro...

One question, though; if the thing is meant to be played lying flat on one's lap why is there the semblance of a cutaway on the 'forward bout' next to the first fret?....

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

One question, though; if the thing is meant to be played lying flat on one's lap why is there the semblance of a cutaway on the 'forward bout' next to the first fret?....

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Purely an aesthetic choice. Many are just edged straight planks while some have curvy upper and lower bouts like an actual guitar or violin. You'd get the same sound from a 4x4, but looks factor in.

This sounds like the sort of thing you'd hear at Alc Anon.

I'm in no position to judge. I didnt need that Fingerbone Strat either.

And thats a really nice gift.

PS

(how much did it cost? ;))

I'm not sure what Keith paid for it, but he gave it to my brother, and he in turn gave it to me.

I got a free copper finger slide tube out of the deal also, along with a proper fender slide bullet.

(It's like a really small, heavy metal dildo.)

[scared]

Okay, so (as a guitar addict) I am on a self-imposed moratorium from buying guitars.

I won't be able to purchase another guitar until Christmas of 2017.

Some of you will recall this self-imposed guitar-buying edict that I issued to myself.

This is to save me from myself.

So, sure enough, just the other day my brother gave me this inexpensive, Chinese-made Rogue lap steel.

One of Stacey's best old high school friend passed it onto him last week, and he, in turn, passed it on to me.

(Stacey already has one of these, and didn't need another one.)

Let me tell you, this is some really cool stuff right here.

Clean volume and tone knobs, great tones, and really swampy mojo.

Would it cost less than $90 if I went out to buy one?

Yes.

Is it probably a piece of junk, compared to proper Fender models?

Again, yes.

But this thing stays in tune, and it sounds really interesting.

And I'm having fun working with all the open tunings, which will probably help me progress as a guitar player and a lead player.

200047.jpg

No judgement coming from here!

I work for MF, and I've been meaning to snatch one of these up for a long time. Being that Rogue is one of our proprietary brands, with my discount I could get one for next to nothing.

I have heard nothing but good things about these lap steels from fellow colleagues who own them.

[thumbup]

I have one just like it. Mine's not labeled Rogue - but in that price range there are dozens of identical ones with different names likely from the same factory. Mine is an "Artisan". :rolleyes:

IMG_4593_2.jpg

As far as quality - it's fine! With lap steels there's nothing to mess up. It's a slab of wood with a pickup and no frets. I have vintage ones and this one is just as playable - maybe more so. I did later replace the electronics though - a couple of good pots and a Seymour Duncan Jb. Jr. I had in a drawer instead of the cheap single coil. That baby screams now. I added some racing stripes too with auto pinstriping.

i wonder why the output jack is on the left side of the bridge on your side and the opposite on Sparky's

i wonder why the output jack is on the left side of the bridge on your side and the opposite on Sparky's

Hmmm... Interesting... I didn't even notice before. His is in a better spot - though as long as you use a right angle plug it doesn't matter.

Archived