Gibson Brands Forums

The genius of Lennon and Harrison

jaxson50

Simple genius is in many way much better than complex genius. Many players have commented to me on how simple the Fab Four songs sounded, but when they tried to duplicate that sound they quickly learned it was much more complex than it sounds. I stumbled across this man's videos and really enjoyed them, I hope you do as well.

He is a bit caddy, but very enthusiastic about teaching, and that's a positive.I really enjoy the Lennon lesson, I always think of John as a great rhythm player, maybe the best. His use of "banjo cords" and his uncanny ability to use shifting time measures was pretty impressive.The man in the vids also takes on other rockers such as Hendrix,

The I Feel Fine lick is very cool and signature, but the All My Loving rhythm guitar part a beginner guitar player should be able to execute after 6 months of playing... I actually find the bass line to be the coolest thing about that song.

A friend of mine shared this video with me on Facebook last week. It's the first chord of Hard Days Night.

Pretty cool stuff and definitely worth a watch.

I saw this several months ago, and agree. It's well worth listening to the "most famous chord" in Rock n Roll, as I've seen it called, and how it's constructed. Just one more reason why the Beatles were the Beatles IMHO. I recall reading somewhere that George Martin recalled that "the boys" knew that this was not only the opening to a song, but their movie as well, and needed to be "special". And so it was...(and still is!).

I believe it was a group of special musicians that made them who they became , been in too many bands where one though he was the best /coolest and band poooof

4H

There is no "I" in "team".

I don't know...they all still sounded like "Beatles," even in their solo work. As, probably the last

half (if not more) of their stint as "The Beatles," they were writing on their own, more than collaborating,

and used each other as sidemen, along with other's. So...together or apart, they sounded basically the same...

even if in somewhat different directions.

CB

Here is Mike Pachelli's bio and home page, I'd say he is as qualified as any of us....He's performed all over the U.S. and Europe with some of the most eclectic jazz, blues, pop and rock musicians including Brother Jack McDuff, Albert King, Les & Larry Elgart, Michael Sembello, Crystal Gayle, Barbara Mandrell, Jeanne Mas, Phil Keaggy, Frank Stallone (to name a few) and has done classical symphony concerts touring with Ferrante and Teicher.

https://www.mikepachelli.com/bio

1490220223[/url]' post='1843714']

I believe it was a group of special musicians that made them who they became , been in too many bands where one though he was the best /coolest and band poooof

4H

No doubt, there was a nucleus of genius there, raw, maybe even untapped before they met George Martin, that was the catalyst. I wonder what would have happened had that meeting not taken place?

The more I learn about music and guitar playing, the more I realize how GOOD some of the R&R guys really were/are.

It may have looked/sounded like they were just sawing cowboy chords, but many times there was a LOT more going on.

The more I learn about music and guitar playing, the more I realize how GOOD some of the R&R guys really were/are.

It may have looked/sounded like they were just sawing cowboy chords, but many times there was a LOT more going on.

I bought my first guitar in 1977, took lessons, taught guitar, went to Musician's Institute, played in bands on the road and locally for years. I'm still learning something new every week or every day. Some days I just play for fun and at least 3 days a week I learn new material and going back to some of the older stuff, particularly blues, blues rock and classic rock. I love attempting to capture not just the notes and chords but also the sound and feel. Stuff like these videos posted inspire me to learn/re-learn even more stuff. I was picking along to some Johnny Cash the other day and working on capturing that sound and feel. It's a bit difficult on a Les Paul and not a Telecaster.

1490282584[/url]' post='1843892']

I always wondered why John and George's slide work was hardly recognized. Both of them were wonderful with the slide, and were the reason why I even liked using a slide.

Indeed, I wat he'd these two vids and think just how well the two compliments the other. Harrison's lead work fit perfectly with Lennon's style.

I always wondered why John and George's slide work was hardly recognized. Both of them were wonderful with the slide, and were the reason why I even liked using a slide.

Dhani Harrison is on record as saying that his Dad didn't get enough recognition for his slide playing.George himself once said sometning to the effect of he'd spent so much time trying to master the sitar that all other guitarists had "moved on" and he needed to find a new voice, hence his slide playing, which I for one, find quite unique and immediately recognizable.

Archived