Gibson Brands Forums

Factory strings

Van Alen

you can use any brand of strings you like.

This guitar came for me with perfect setup from factory. I have tried different brands strings in same gauge but I can feel that I need andjust truss rod, bridge... Different brands different tensions...On this guitar I dont want to touch anything for first time in my life It plays like butter with factory strings.

I got a new 2017 LP a couple months ago and there is no way to tell what type of strings came on it. D'Addario does tend to put different colored ball ends on the strings, and the ones that came on my guitar do not have those. I think we pretty much established in another thread that D'Addario does supply Gibson with strings. My owners manual just says "it comes with a set of string designed for Gibsons". That ain't much help. Manual also says the gauage is .10 - .46. (Website info says .09 - 46)

I hadn't thought of it before, but they may be 'Bright Wires' as the sound is very bright on this guitar. I had attributed that to Burstbucker Pro pickups, but the strings may have something to do with it as well. Guess I will find out when it comes time to change strings [confused]

Ok I got respond from Gibson EU support... Shame on you US 😆

They are using BRITE WIRES now if anyone else want to know!

Thanks Van Alen that is good to know. I may be changing strings a little sooner than necessary just to see if there is a change in tone (brightness).

Thanks Van Alen that is good to know. I may be changing strings a little sooner than necessary just to see if there is a change in tone (brightness).

if you really want a huge change in tone and response, try some Ernie Ball Cobalts.. !!BAM!!

Daddario or probably GHS makig strings for gibson but with gibsons specs. There are definitely difference in tone, tension and feal. Brite wires are bright on first 3 top strings and "muddy" on wound strings also feal realy soft - easy to bend. Daddario are more balanced eq on all strings bit have harder tension, last longer. Rotosound and Ernie ball almost idetical sound to Daddario but roto have just a bit more tension EBall little les tension(like bright wires).

If you want same tension and les brightness go with Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys. Within 2-3 days they going to sound even more darker. I had 2014 standard with bb pros and could not get rid off "presence".BB pros are pretty bright. You need think about using 10-46 or something like that with them.

if you really want a huge change in tone and response, try some Ernie Ball Cobalts.. !!BAM!!

I'm going to have to agree with this. I put cobalt flats one an old Series A bass I have and they sound really nice.

• 2 months later...

They were Brite Wires in 2014.

I was joking when I said I had a theory all electric guitar strings are the same in another thread. I am not joking when I say the closest you'll get to Brite Wires are D'Addarios. In fact, I think they're one and the same.

They were Brite Wires in 2014.

I was joking when I said I had a theory all electric guitar strings are the same in another thread. I am not joking when I say the closest you'll get to Brite Wires are D'Addarios. In fact, I think they're one and the same.

maybe it's all in my mind, but i find gibson strings to be alot stiffer than d addarios. i use daddarios mainly, but i tried some gibby strings recently and didn't like them. sounded great but were stiff. same string gauge, so in my mind that wouldn't make sense. but that was what i perceived, real or imagined.

maybe it's all in my mind, but i find gibson strings to be alot stiffer than d addarios. i use daddarios mainly, but i tried some gibby strings recently and didn't like them. sounded great but were stiff. same string gauge, so in my mind that wouldn't make sense. but that was what i perceived, real or imagined.

Maybe it's just that I've been using Ernie Ball Super Slinkies for so long, that one of the first things I do on any guitar I purchase, is replace the strings with those. To me, the Gibson strings from the factory feel "stiff" to me as well. Not terrible and not unplayable and they sound good. It's just not what I'm used to. It could be perceived, real or imagined for me too. I guess it's one of those familiarity things. I've not used any other brand of string on my electric guitars since around 1985, since they do so well for me. I have kept the original strings that came with my Les Paul, for whatever reason. If I had been driving the same car for 30 years and drove another one, it would be different. Not necessarily worse or better but different for me.

Interesting. My experience with new Gibsons is limited, so I could be wrong.

Archived