Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone know if this was a Wildwood exclusive?

GoldJim

As I said in my previous post, I got a 2015 Les Paul Standard Golden Pearl Limited Edition used. I have reached out to tech support, and I hope I can get the answers I'm looking for.

(1) To what number was this limited?

(2) Was this exclusive to a dealer? (e.g. Wildwood Guitars)

(3) Other than the Grover locking Keystone tuners, gold hardware, and Pearl top, are there any large differences between the specs of this standard and other LP Standards of the same year?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If you google that guitar it comes up at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend, so I'd say no, it wasn't a Wildwood exclusive.

"How many of these did you make???" is a pretty popular question and it usually follows that if you have to ask that, they won't say. It was limited in that they were making them until they stopped making them.

It is more than likely a Les Paul with a slight trick on GoldTop with gold hardware. You would probably find there were a few Standards that year with gold hardware and other slightly tricked out paint jobs, not the usual tasteful burst.

It's a nice guitar. The words they use often don't mean much I'm afraid. Enjoy it long time in good health!

rct

If you google that guitar it comes up at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend, so I'd say no, it wasn't a Wildwood exclusive.

"How many of these did you make???" is a pretty popular question and it usually follows that if you have to ask that, they won't say. It was limited in that they were making them until they stopped making them.

It is more than likely a Les Paul with a slight trick on GoldTop with gold hardware. You would probably find there were a few Standards that year with gold hardware and other slightly tricked out paint jobs, not the usual tasteful burst.

It's a nice guitar. The words they use often don't mean much I'm afraid. Enjoy it long time in good health!

rct

Thanks. I really do like it. GC carries it and has it listed for exactly the list price that Gibson has on their page. In person, you can actually see the wood grain of the maple cap. The one I have and one of the ones listed on GC's site has what looks like a one piece mahogany back rather than 2 piece. I thought that was strange, because there are some that have a distinct two piece back. Is that a norm in LP's of that period?

I can't give any other information other than that's a beautiful guitar! Nice find. I love the finish.

Thanks, MichaelT

Thanks. I really do like it. GC carries it and has it listed for exactly the list price that Gibson has on their page. In person, you can actually see the wood grain of the maple cap. The one I have and one of the ones listed on GC's site has what looks like a one piece mahogany back rather than 2 piece. I thought that was strange, because there are some that have a distinct two piece back. Is that a norm in LP's of that period?

It is more than likely a multiple piece back that is well seamed, as are most of them. The number of pieces in the blank that made the body has become a sort of sleeve born testament to the quality of the guitar, in exactly the opposite of the truth. The more pieces, the better. One piece backs are far more likely to curl, causing the paint to start coming up.

rct

...The one I have has what looks like a one piece mahogany back rather than 2 piece. I thought that was strange, because there are some that have a distinct two piece back. Is that a norm in LP's of that period?...

Not really.

AFAIK the only LPs which always have one-piece backs are the Re-Issues. Some special run / limited edition specify one piece but otherwise it's simply down to what is deemed appropriate. Both my '1960 Classic' LPs ('91 and '95) have one-piece backs but I don't think that was obligatory for the model.

Yours has nice flowing grain. Pretty! The heel, though, looks huge! Out of interest; does it have a really chunky neck profile?...........eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm pretty convinced that's a one piece back. I think Pippy is correct, the only LPs spec'd as having a one piece back are reissues but there's plenty of LPs out there which just happen to have a one piece back. RCT is also correct. It's arguably better to have multiple pieces. It will be more stable, not that I think there's many LPs out there with warped bodies. I did have one, interestingly a reissue with a one piece back, it was replaced.

Not really.

AFAIK the only LPs which always have one-piece backs are the Re-Issues. Some special run / limited edition specify one piece but otherwise it's simply down to what is deemed appropriate. Both my '1960 Classic' LPs ('91 and '95) have one-piece backs but I don't think that was obligatory for the model.

Yours has nice flowing grain. Pretty! The heel, though, looks huge! Out of interest; does it have a really chunky neck profile?...........eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Thanks, Pip. I can't really find a seam in person. Now I wish it DID have one! I went through the paperwork the owner left inside, and guess what? It came from Wildwood Guitars initially. Excellent. I know that GC has some, but I am suspect of the full suggested retail price, so I wonder if they were able to get some inventory after. Still haven't heard from Gibson. :( The neck profile is an asymetrical slim taper (there's a name for that which escapes me), giving me nice access to the upper frets. Not quite a 60's slim taper and not quite the routed bout, but close. I gotta tell you, she's gorgeous and weighs less than all but my 2017 Tribute Les Pauls and a LOT less than my Single Cut PRS.

I'm pretty convinced that's a one piece back. I think Pippy is correct, the only LPs spec'd as having a one piece back are reissues but there's plenty of LPs out there which just happen to have a one piece back. RCT is also correct. It's arguably better to have multiple pieces. It will be more stable, not that I think there's many LPs out there with warped bodies. I did have one, interestingly a reissue with a one piece back, it was replaced.

Yeah, I'm wondering if there's a seam I can't spot, but looking down the sides, I don't find one.

Archived