Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Of Sorts

aliasphobias

My nephews birthday this weekend and what kind of uncle would I be if I didn't get him a guitar like mine. Has anyone else tried one? I know this should be in the Maestro sub forum but I couldn't resist

First impressions (pro); five year warranty, gig bag included,fit and finish pretty impressive, good attention to detail, stays in tune to some degree.

cons; sounds hellish but will work fine for what he is going to do with it, needs a little tweak at the nut and a couple of high frets. Overall not bad.

7FVeV2N.jpg

Good for you.

I gave my nephew's son (my greatnephew, that would make him) a chunk of money for high school graduation. He went out and bought a Strat with it. Much better than spending it on books (or whatever) for college. Maybe even a little better than spending it on beer. Then again, maybe not.

Pass it on...

That is very cute, never saw one of those before. $69 at WalMart, LOL. :) Might be fun for my 7 year old granddaughter… just like her Dad who now has my 1974 J-50 on extended loan!

[edit]That was the price on the 41" model that looks like a J-45 with a teardrop pickguard. I see they also have a 30" version that looks more like a J-50 with a batwing pickguard and it is only $43.

Very nice big '50 and Mini-Me shot. I'm sure the gift will go over well, and hope it's the start of some happy musical get togethers. . .

. . . BUT- the J-50 pickguard goes well with the very cool vintage table, and dampening/schmamp-ining, can't help but wondering about how many pickguards could be made from it (?).

Good for you.

I gave my nephew's son (my greatnephew, that would make him) a chunk of money for high school graduation. He went out and bought a Strat with it. Much better than spending it on books (or whatever) for college. Maybe even a little better than spending it on beer. Then again, maybe not.

Pass it on...

Hopefully he had a decent acoustic before the Strat. It's always bewildering to me to see them start with an electric.

Very nice big '50 and Mini me shot. I'm sure the gift will go over well, and hope it's the start of some happy musical get togethers. . .

. . . BUT- the J-50 pickguard goes well with the very cool vintage table, and dampening/schmamp-ining, can't help but wondering about how many pickguards could be made from it (?).

How may pickguards?! How many guitars could be made out of the table?

http://www.dipintoguitars.com/guitars/guitar-sm/galaxie4guitarsilver.jpg

Hopefully he had a decent acoustic before the Strat. It's always bewildering to me to see them start with an electric.

He's actually been playing electric since he started high school, but never had the money for a good one. Not sure he even knows what an acoustic is. I'll try to bring him around over time.

Just got one, $45.96 including tax and shipping from WalMart. The color is very similar to my 1965 J-50. It is not going to win any awards for the sound, but it's really cute and my 7 year old Granddaughter will love having a guitar looks like Grandpa's and Daddy's (who has my '74 J-50). :)

j50+maestro.jpg

Just got one, $45.96 including tax and shipping from WalMart. The color is very similar to my 1965 J-50. It is not going to win any awards for the sound, but it's really cute and my 7 year old Granddaughter will love having a guitar looks like Grandpa's and Daddy's (who has my '74 J-50). :)

j50+maestro.jpg

Nice choice. There is something about the close copy that youngsters really appreciate. Not a Snoopy or Spongebob.

j50+maestro.jpg

That's cool. No two ways about it.

Archived