Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone like the 2017 EB bass?

Allenjason95

I have no idea how they play but those are some of the ugliest basses I've ever seen IMO. I have a 2013 EB which I love but I don't think those sold well. The new ones are just ridiculous looking though. Does anyone know how the new ones are selling?

I REALLY LIKE the white ones...If I had not just bought another Gibson bass, I would buy an EB4 now.msp_thumbup.gif

I think the 2017 is pretty ugly also. I bought a 2014 EB 5 String about a year ago. I really liked it, but only occasionally use a five string. I started gassing for a 4 string & picked one up about a month ago. It is a great bass that you can use for just about any kind of playing style. The new one is really the same, just ugly. Also, it only comes with a gig bag, I wouldn't care for that.

2014%20EB-45%20String_zpsrasrwr8q.jpg

I agree that the previous EB is a much better looking bass, but I don't think the new one is actually ugly - it just doesn't look like a Gibson to me... When the previous model came out, there were a lot of negative comments about the looks of it too; not on the forum, but on Gibson.com. A lot of the comments seemed almost idiotic; probably from people who have never played or seen a Gibson.

Having 24 frets, one thing that would concern me about the new EB would be the truss rod. I have a 2006 24 fret Les Paul Double-Cut (earlier version of the Money Bass). It's a beautiful bass that gets played a lot. BUT the truss rod head had a puny little 1/8" allen head socket that eventually rounded out. I just spent $400.00 to install a stainless steel rod with a 5/16" socket (hope it lasts). If it wasn't a Gibson, I would've sold it for parts or made a clock out of it. Every other Gibson I own (and have owned) has a brass hex-head nut that will last a lifetime. I do like 24 frets, but if the new EB has that crappy truss rod - I'd stay away!

Just wondering - what kind of rod does the previous EB have?

I think the 2017 is pretty ugly also. I bought a 2014 EB 5 String about a year ago. I really liked it, but only occasionally use a five string. I started gassing for a 4 string & picked one up about a month ago. It is a great bass that you can use for just about any kind of playing style. The new one is really the same, just ugly. Also, it only comes with a gig bag, I wouldn't care for that.

Those a good looking basses. Mine is cream and a 4 string. I prefer the look of yours and I really like the gold ones but when I bought mine cream was the only color available.

I agree that the previous EB is a much better looking bass, but I don't think the new one is actually ugly - it just doesn't look like a Gibson to me... When the previous model came out, there were a lot of negative comments about the looks of it too; not on the forum, but on Gibson.com. A lot of the comments seemed almost idiotic; probably from people who have never played or seen a Gibson.

Having 24 frets, one thing that would concern me about the new EB would be the truss rod. I have a 2006 24 fret Les Paul Double-Cut (earlier version of the Money Bass). It's a beautiful bass that gets played a lot. BUT the truss rod head had a puny little 1/8" allen head socket that eventually rounded out. I just spent $400.00 to install a stainless steel rod with a 5/16" socket (hope it lasts). If it wasn't a Gibson, I would've sold it for parts or made a clock out of it. Every other Gibson I own (and have owned) has a brass hex-head nut that will last a lifetime. I do like 24 frets, but if the new EB has that crappy truss rod - I'd stay away!

Just wondering - what kind of rod does the previous EB have?

I think the previous EB look fine. They're not the best looking guitars ever but I don't think they're bad looking at all. To me they look like a cross between a Fender and a Mosrite. But mine is really well balanced and light (compared to my LP), it plays and sounds great IMO (but I'm not a bassist). I got a great deal on mine when it was a Stupid Deal Of The Day last year.

The new ones are truly fugly IMO. One of the ugliest Gibson designs I've seen.

Those a good looking basses. Mine is cream and a 4 string. I prefer the look of yours and I really like the gold ones but when I bought mine cream was the only color available.

I wanted a fire burst to match the five string, but the color is different between the two. The bass came in both fire burst & vintage sunburst, not much difference but mine is fire burst according to the Gibson web page.

EB%20Fire%20Burst_zpsyqasg7n1.jpg

If I wasn't able to land the fire burst, the red one was starting to grow on me.

The more I look at the new EB in natural satin, the more I like it. I kinda like the T-bird style headstock too. There are a lot of good things going on there: set 3 piece maple neck (stable and bright), swamp ash body (excellent tone wood) , and the Babicz bridge (none better IMHO) should add up to a great sounding bass; especially if the controls are like the last EB. It would be nice if it came with a case, but I have cases. I'd sure like to know what the thing weighs; I guess you have to add up all the components to figure that out, but I'm too lazy! And then there's the truss rod question...

I certainly don't need another Gibson bass; 3 are enough and they're all great, but it is fun to look! msp_biggrin.gif

I've gotta say... my favorite thing in your pic isn't either of the basses — it's your major award that caught my eye!

[laugh]

I've gotta say... my favorite thing in your pic isn't either of the basses — it's your major award that caught my eye!

[laugh]

I noticed the "major award" there too.

Hey Grog,

Do you experience "the soft glow of electric sex gleaming" off your basses? 😋

I negotiated with my spousal unit when I bought the leg lamp. I can keep it upstairs from "Black Friday" to January 1st in the bay window. I usually leave it up there till about February, then she reminds me what happened in the movie. It's downstairs until next year, keeping my guitars company. Why women hate leg lamps makes no sense to me.............

The more I look at the new EB in natural satin, the more I like it. I kinda like the T-bird style headstock too. There are a lot of good things going on there: set 3 piece maple neck (stable and bright), swamp ash body (excellent tone wood) , and the Babicz bridge (none better IMHO) should add up to a great sounding bass; especially if the controls are like the last EB. It would be nice if it came with a case, but I have cases. I'd sure like to know what the thing weighs; I guess you have to add up all the components to figure that out, but I'm too lazy! And then there's the truss rod question...

I certainly don't need another Gibson bass; 3 are enough and they're all great, but it is fun to look! msp_biggrin.gif

I just can't get over the looks. The previous EB bass was better looking, seems to have basically the same features AND came with a hard shell case. I know some people are anti used but I don't know why other than you just want a brand new bass you'd buy the new 2017 EB over the previous generation.

The new EBs just look like some weird bass from the late 80s early 90s to me.

I just can't get over the looks. The previous EB bass was better looking, seems to have basically the same features AND came with a hard shell case. I know some people are anti used but I don't know why other than you just want a brand new bass you'd buy the new 2017 EB over the previous generation.

The new EBs just look like some weird bass from the late 80s early 90s to me.

Call me weird, but I like the new ones better. I'll probably upgrade from my Mexi Jazz Bass to an EB once the prices fall below $999.

Call me weird, but I like the new ones better. I'll probably upgrade from my Mexi Jazz Bass to an EB once the prices fall below $999.

Guitar Center has the regular T model at $999 and the 5 string at $1099 so after a little dickering I'm sure you could get one for less than a grand. I'm sure they're good basses, I really like my older style EB. Like I said I just can't handle the looks but different strokes for different folks.

• 7 months later...

When they first came out I was unimpressed with the looks. However, for 2018 there will be a stealthy black variant which I think looks pretty nice.

Sweetwater have some pics up (got the 5 string too) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BAEBH18BXBC

Sweetwater does seem to be doing more of the Gibson Bass series. It's nice to see one of the bigger music stores showing the Gibson Basses.

When they first came out I was unimpressed with the looks. However, for 2018 there will be a stealthy black variant which I think looks pretty nice.

Sweetwater have some pics up (got the 5 string too) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BAEBH18BXBC

I still think that’s fugly. Just can’t get behind the looks. It just looks like an old 80s Yamaha or Ibanez bass to me. It reminds me of a bass Gibson made, I think from the 80s, that I saw on Craigslist.

The guy tried to sell it forever and kept putting “rare Gibson bass” in the title. It probably is really rare, I’ve never seen one before or since, but sometimes things are rare because no one wanted one in the first place.

Sweetwater does seem to be doing more of the Gibson Bass series. It's nice to see one of the bigger music stores showing the Gibson Basses.

Yeah Fender seems to get all the bass love but I always liked John Entwistles Gibson bases, especially the, I think it’s called “RD”? His Firebird bass was cool too.but he probably could have made a Walmart bass sound great.

I'm being a return to Gibson Bass player, after having some QC issues in the past. My SG Std. basses are Right On with QC. I hope Gibson makes an effort to do the same with the 2017 series, and all of the other Gibson Basses. I do hope there is a market place for the 2017 series. They appear to not have a Neck Dive Of Death at least with the newer body design. [thumbup]

I'm being a return to Gibson Bass player, after having some QC issues in the past. My SG Std. basses are Right On with QC. I hope Gibson makes an effort to do the same with the 2017 series, and all of the other Gibson Basses. I do hope there is a market place for the 2017 series. They appear to not have a Neck Dive Of Death at least with the newer body design. [thumbup]

Those are cool looking bases.

I'm not that crazy about the 2017 body shape, but at least Gibson is putting out the product for any players who may like the style. Gibson should promote their base series as much as they do the 6 stringer guitars as well. Too many of the other guitar companies have beat up on Gibson's basses for too many years now. Here's hoping bass players return to, or get into Gibson basses. [cool]

Archived