Gibson Brands Forums

NGD, last weekend.

Scootch

img_0149.jpgWell I've just got to make an announcement. I've stayed quiet about for almost a week, but really just need to mention it and hope for some backslaps.

Last weekend I was at GC and saw a nice used 2011 Gibson Songwiter Deluxe Studio EC. Price was right in line with the market prices. It was used so there was no haggling.

Perfect condition, the saddle was polished bone, plays like a dream, sounds even better.

The top had a little yellowing to it, the way I like it.

I really have to say this is the best guitar I've ever owned. Balanced as it can be. Easy to play, sounds amazing unplugged. Plugged in sounds great, but you loose a little whenever you plug anything in.

I'm tickled pick.

Congratulations. There is a lot of love for the Songwriter and I believe it is one of their bestsellers.

It does have quite a distinct tone, and I like the cut-away. I owned one for a couple years, but realised rosewood is not the right wood for my plugged in tone and moved it on.

The neck also feels great from what I recall.

The SWD is a really nice dread. I gotta laugh a bit at the "Studio" moniker - in the electric division that means stripped-down/no-bling, but the SWD Studio has a bound fretboard with an end carat (bird's beak), parallelogram markers and an abalone rosette ring - a nice bit of bling. Great guitar (I've got the 12-string version).

Congrats and enjoy. . B)

Last weekend I was at GC and saw a nice used 2011 Gibson Songwiter Deluxe Studio EC.

Perfect rosette. That fretboard doesn't look like rosewood (as the specs claim). More like ebony. In any case, I love a good dark fretboard. Man, that's a good looking guit! Glad to hear you're digging it to the max! msp_thumbup.gif

Wow! That's a beauty! I owned one almost identical to this one (mine wasn't a cutaway) and in my opinion, the Studio, with the ebony bridge and board, and parallelogram inlays, is the best version of all the Songwriters. Rosewood sweetness!

Congrats. Very nice.

I've been thinking about a cutaway for a while now and always liked the Songwriter. I do wish they had the electronics controls hidden in the sound hole however like on the non-cutaway version.

I've never understood why they used the 'Studio' tag on these either.

Classy looking guitar.

Beautiful ambered top! I like the Songwriters, a classy workhorse that plays, looks and sounds just right. I've never owned one but have enjoyed all the ones I've picked up over the years.

I'm sure your back is pink and sore by now, but another backslap from me!

Very nice! But I also wonder about the haggling part. I talked Guitar Center down about 20% on my 1965 J-50 and they didn't even push back. The salesman had to get the Manager to approve it, and he made some phone calls before doing so. But it had been in the store for over 9 months and they had recently dropped the price so I guess they just wanted to get it out the door. Regardless, if you got it for the going market price you did good! :)

I played quite a bit last night. Rotated thru three guitars, the SwDS, Hummingbird MC, and a J-45 Standard. I played thru my Fishman Mini.

The Songwriter is the heaviest and most substantial of all three. The Hummingbird seems to be tie with the J-45, weight-wise, with maybe a slight ounce or two more.

Unplugged, the Songwriter had richer sound than the others, Bass, Trebs and Mids, the whole package.

The Hummingbird was next in bass response with the J-45 having the lightest bass. This is not to say the bird and J-45 were weak, just different and not as lush sounding. Each had different strings on them, which could also make a difference.

The Bird has Ernie Ball Aluminums probably 12-54. I am still searching for the perfect string for the Bird.

The J-45 has D'Addario's of some sort, installed by a luthier that said their shop likes those best. Typically I put DR Rares on the J-45.

Notably, the J-45 and Bird have been in their cases in my bedroom all winter and since I did not engage in a humidifying regimen this year, they might be thin sounding from that. The SwDS spent it's last month or two in a climate controlled rainforest of a guitar store.

Plugged in... Setting on the Fishman were all flat on noon. The Reverb was set to 9 o'clock and the chorus was set to 10 o'clock.

The SwDS, with all sliders on the barn door set to 0, or middle, and the notch at 0, sounded great as-is. It sounded rich and full and I played quite a bit at that setting. It lost some of the natural richness plugged in, but that's what happens with a pickup. The Fishman Prefix Plus-T pickup is very good.

The Hummingbird Modern Classic needed tweaking. I set the treble down to 10 o'clock and bass to 2 o'clock. It quacked when I hit it hard. Other wise it sounded good not great compared to the SwDS.

The J-45 seemed pretty similar to the bird, when plugged in. It's probably the same volume only pickup. an L.R. Baggs Element Active. By itself it had that plaintive unique sound, like Townes Van Zandt's voice, or Doc Watson's. It wasn't lush, just calling it out as it is. Telling the truth.

I was planning to compare my D-18v but just for too tired. I'm getting old you know.

Congrats! But there is always should be haggling over a used guitar.

At least at this particular GC, they will not haggle over used unless it's had a year on the hook. It's a big city and they know someone will get it sooner or later.

I once spent a bunch of time trying to deal on a Martin J12-15 12 string Grand Auditorium sized guitar. It was old and sounded OK but the strings were aged, corroded and encrusted. I could not get them to budge on the price, and I could not get them to even put new strings on it so I could really hear it. They would not budge because they knew they get their price sooner or later. So, I went down the street to Sam Ash and got a new Taylor 150e. Electronics, new guitar smell, a warranty and a deal.

the next week the Martin was gone. They know, wait...

I know none of my local GC's will negotiate on used gear for either 30 or 60 days. It's a relatively new policy with their used stuff. I"m on pretty good terms with one of the managers and he told me that things had changed. So if you've still got a GC that will negotiate used gear that has just hit the floor, you're very lucky.

To the OP, looking at the other guitars in your stable, to say that your new one is the best you own is quite an endorsement. Definitely gonna have to find one of those to try.....

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats! Songwriters are one of the most "balanced" sounding Gibsons I've played. Strong bass, nice clarity, a lovely mid-range - compresses nicely when you hit it hard, and it's got a warm articulate voice when fingerpicked. When I got mine, I was looking for a J45, but they seemed "limited" compared to the SWD, so I got a SWD. [wink]

• 7 months later...

At least at this particular GC, they will not haggle over used unless it's had a year on the hook. It's a big city and they know someone will get it sooner or later.

I once spent a bunch of time trying to deal on a Martin J12-15 12 string Grand Auditorium sized guitar. It was old and sounded OK but the strings were aged, corroded and encrusted. I could not get them to budge on the price, and I could not get them to even put new strings on it so I could really hear it. They would not budge because they knew they get their price sooner or later. So, I went down the street to Sam Ash and got a new Taylor 150e. Electronics, new guitar smell, a warranty and a deal.

the next week the Martin was gone. They know, wait...

Do you have any clip from your Songwriter?

Peace!

Archived