Gibson Brands Forums

I just myself installed a KK mini to 1942 Banner J-45 reissue (fp ever owned it)

gotomsdos

Hi, old buddies out there !

I just installed a KK Pure mini myself to 1942 Banner J-45 reissue I just got the other day from a UMGF member. It had been owned by fp before. Thank you fp.

The transducer spaces of bridge plate are so narrow that they just reach the edge !

Very nice! How do you like it?

What was it that tipped you towards the K&K? Least invasive? I will have to give one a try sometime.

1, Least invasive

2, Lightest

3, More natural sound

4, Woody sound.

A UST(like Fishman) one has duck like sound cause it uses a wire transducer to touch saddle. Stiff sound, a bit electric sound. Besides, if the touch area is not flat enough, there will be output issue.

5, Enough output

So enough output that I do not feel it's a passive pickup. It enalbes me to feel that an active pickup is not that necessary unless you just like adjusting EQ from guitar body on the spot when you're playing at a gig. I have no the liking. This is a hobby only, rather than a real and better need. And if you really need on the spot control of EQ, a preamp or DI box is better. but it's not installed to guitar. the Less burden in guitar, the better it's.

6, The only problem

is difficulty with installation which needs much patience, carefulness, tricks, etc. Just a challenge,test your hand and mind. Before real installation, have to seriously read through operation instructions on manual, practice, check bridge plate, sand it if needed, etc,,,The hardest is orientation.

Good luck.

6, The only problem is difficulty with installation which needs much patience, carefulness, tricks, etc. Just a challenge,test your hand and mind. Before real installation, have to seriously read through operation instructions on manual, practice, check bridge plate, sand it if needed, etc,,,The hardest is orientation.

Good luck.

My luthier showed me a cool little "installation helper" for the K&K that he made. It was like a flat frame on which you placed the little pickups - spaced just right - then you brought it up to the bridge place and glued them up there all at once. He was pretty proud of it.

My luthier showed me a cool little "installation helper" for the K&K that he made. It was like a flat frame on which you placed the little pickups - spaced just right - then you brought it up to the bridge place and glued them up there all at once. He was pretty proud of it.

The key is how you get that flat frame to the right spot of bridge plate?

If you were doing lots then that would be a great idea

Using the little jig in the box does one at a time. Three at once would help

They're great pickups ,

To do three at one time may be a bit risky, cause it doesn't seem to be so handy to hold them and get them into guitar.

Archived